Affordable Housing Process/Plans in Cork City

I got call also, saying they wanted to offer me a 2 bed in shanakiel. I didn't submit a mortgage cert. in principle since Eden which was for 170,000e. Shankiel is more expensive and I live work and play on the other side of the City so I won't be taking them up on their offer. Will hold out to see whats next on the cards.
The wait goes on..................

Once they finally get Shanakiel Phase 2 out of the way, what development/houses are next on the agenda? And at what price?

I heard that the builders have pulled out of the affordable housing process and will not be giving anymore houses or money. They feel that the councils are looking for too much especially considering the amount the pay to the council for things like roads, etc. I'm not sure how true this is though.

Do they have the choice to do that? I thought it was obligatory, or in some circumstances that they could hand over money instead?

Do they have the choice to do that? I thought it was obligatory, or in some circumstances that they could hand over money instead?
They are not supposed to but the councils would have to take them to court to get them to pay. I imagine the construction industry is a powerful force in this country, it could be quite a battle. As far as I am aware Cork county council took a contractor to court for not agreeing. I dont know what the outcome was though. Maybe whoever gets elected might bring in a better system. They have all handed over money with the exception of Eden which gave apartments/duplexes. The money was used to build Shanakiel (as far as I am aware). Personally I prefer the idea of a mixed estate rather then ones with just one type of housing eg all afforable.

got offered house 3 bed today.going to accept.it is mixed area of private affordable and council as far as i know.i have seen people in houses and cars parked outside etc.its called ard na sionnach.:D

got offered house 3 bed today.going to accept.it is mixed area of private affordable and council as far as i know.i have seen people in houses and cars parked outside etc.its called ard na sionnach.:D

Hey Gixer,

Congrats on the house.
Do you mind if I ask how long you're on the waiting list?
My girlfriend and I have been on it since last September and have had no offers yet.

Hey Gixer,

Congrats on the house.
Do you mind if I ask how long you're on the waiting list?
My girlfriend and I have been on it since last September and have had no offers yet.

on it approx 18 months.ard na sionnach is name of development and i think we have been offered house in the mews part.id say be lucky to be in there in 6 months went up last night for sneaky look.so id say 6 months is best estimate if not longer.

Ard Sionnach is the fancy name for Shanakiel. offers going out this week and next. The county council has now began calling people and sending out letters re Douglas and will continue to do so till Thurs May 24th. Anybody get one?

u are right on the name of development.broken down into other such as the mews,mile avenue,beech road and many more.if we get in for xmas ill dance a jig on the road outside the house!!!:rolleyes:

They are not supposed to but the councils would have to take them to court to get them to pay. I imagine the construction industry is a powerful force in this country, it could be quite a battle. As far as I am aware Cork county council took a contractor to court for not agreeing. I dont know what the outcome was though. Maybe whoever gets elected might bring in a better system. They have all handed over money with the exception of Eden which gave apartments/duplexes. The money was used to build Shanakiel (as far as I am aware). Personally I prefer the idea of a mixed estate rather then ones with just one type of housing eg all afforable.

i agree with u there buck.hope they dont stop now too many people waiting and have put alot of time and effort in to applications.i think place near skehard road next year is next project.

Ard Sionnach is the fancy name for Shanakiel. offers going out this week and next. The county council has now began calling people and sending out letters re Douglas and will continue to do so till Thurs May 24th. Anybody get one?

Hi Madisona,

I dont suppose you have heard when they will be getting onto people regarding the Ballincollig houses? I dont know anybody in for Douglas so havent heard of anyone getting called for that.

on it approx 18 months.ard na sionnach is name of development and i think we have been offered house in the mews part.id say be lucky to be in there in 6 months went up last night for sneaky look.so id say 6 months is best estimate if not longer.

The estate looks nice I must say. You should have a savage view.
Can you give any insight into your wait for the offer for the city council?
Like did you contact them often? Were you offered anything previously?

Just trying to get some perspective on the process since it looks like they won't be offering us a property at this time

i just rang the county council and the girl i was speaking with said they will not be making offers on douglas for another few weeks as at the moment they are being held up because of having to send letters to people to send in documentation like p60s that have not been forwarded to them yet.

The estate looks nice I must say. You should have a savage view.
Can you give any insight into your wait for the offer for the city council?
Like did you contact them often? Were you offered anything previously?

Just trying to get some perspective on the process since it looks like they won't be offering us a property at this time

was offered a place in eden but u couldnt swing a cat in the rooms so had to turn it down.contact them often and update your file often as well.showing them u a regular saver goes down well with them.hope u hear something soon.

Anyone know if all offers for phase 2 in Shanakiel have been given out at this stage?

Back