Affordable Housing Process/Plans in Cork City

Hi damocl

Just wondering how long you were on the waiting list with the city council before you got offered your house in Shanakeil? Just curious as the council are extremely slow to house people and it might just be worth my while putting my name on the city list aswell.
Congrats by the way!

Hi Dylan, looking forward to your update! :D
Hi BB,

Well, got onto the council again today re the Ballincollig houses. Basically they will be given out gradually from July until Christmas, and they will be calling people who have the most points in to go over their financial status, and see if you are able to pay the mortgage. You should also be able to ring them in 1 months time to see how many points you got, where you are on the list and what kind of a chance you have of getting a house. She also said there is a majority of 2bed houses (i.e the barracks have 8 3bed houses, and 89 2bed houses) which is crazy. So i reckon a lot of single people will get housed, or people with 1 child willing to accept a 2 bed. I have a boy and a girl so i could only accept a 3 bed, so my chances of getting a house have decreased dramatically :(

Hi damocl

Just wondering how long you were on the waiting list with the city council before you got offered your house in Shanakeil? Just curious as the council are extremely slow to house people and it might just be worth my while putting my name on the city list aswell.
Congrats by the way!

We were on it roughly 7 or 8 months.
I believe we got on it last September or October.

Hi DJ,
That's a real bumer, I might ring them 2day and see is it the same situation with Douglas and Carrigaline. I am sick of the wait myself, was just looking on the city council website and they have applications for housing in different parts of the city which I am going to fill out cause this wait is killing me.

Hi DJ,
That's a real bumer, I might ring them 2day and see is it the same situation with Douglas and Carrigaline. I am sick of the wait myself, was just looking on the city council website and they have applications for housing in different parts of the city which I am going to fill out cause this wait is killing me.

Hi Saucy, Does the City Council have new details of their houses on their website, or is it the same details that have been on for the last few years?

Just the same details, dont think they are ever updated. That's the problem I never have a clue where the houses are coming up next cause they never update the website.

Just the same details, dont think they are ever updated. That's the problem I never have a clue where the houses are coming up next cause they never update the website.

They probably don't undate it on purpose so that we can't hold them to anything! I presume the next 2 developments are Silversprings and Mahon.

Congrats damocl, great news for you, do you know if your house offer was from phase 1 or phase 2? Either way that's brilliant!

Does anyone know of other offers that went out or are going out for phase 2 yet?

Congrats damocl, great news for you, do you know if your house offer was from phase 1 or phase 2? Either way that's brilliant!

Does anyone know of other offers that went out or are going out for phase 2 yet?

Phase 2

Got offered a 3 bedroomed house in phase 2 of Shanakiel today, Delighted

that s great news.had a sneaky preview of my one.very happy with it and my contact there says the houses are steel frame and have great insulations as standard.he named them all out but i wouldnt be able to re name at the moment.he said they will be very warm houses and well insulated for noise too.if u dont mind me asking where abouts did u get one?was it mile avenue,the mews or one of the rest?

that s great news.had a sneaky preview of my one.very happy with it and my contact there says the houses are steel frame and have great insulations as standard.he named them all out but i wouldnt be able to re name at the moment.he said they will be very warm houses and well insulated for noise too.if u dont mind me asking where abouts did u get one?was it mile avenue,the mews or one of the rest?

Mile Avenue, have you been given any idea as to when they'll be ready?
I heard that the houses are finished to a very high standard and the only thing that might need to be changed is the fireplace...

Mile Avenue, have you been given any idea as to when they'll be ready?
I heard that the houses are finished to a very high standard and the only thing that might need to be changed is the fireplace...

told by my friend that the building side has no more than 4 weeks to finish after that its the council so could be few months to a year with them!!!would be great to be in before winter though.fingers crossed.

Yeah, got the same call.
Do you know if there is just a show house to view or can you see your own house??

i think its a show house as far as i know.i ve seen the house i got offered already but the other houses are pratically identical.im away this weekend so wont be able to go so im glad i did get to see it.

Back