Affordable Housing Process/Plans in Cork City

ajapale

This new thread is for the discussion of the Affordable Housing Process/Plans in Cork city only.

Posters who want to discuss lliving in the Shanakiel area of Cork City can do so in Location, Location, Location.

Posters who are (or are about to become) residents of in the Shanakiel AH scehme are asked to please set up a forum on to discuss problems with completion, snagging etc. and then post the link here. The people at are geared up a lot better to discuss such issues.

Posters who want to make genearalised comments regarding the politics or economics of the Governments approach to Affordable Housing can do so in Letting off Steam or one of the many property or politics websites.

Re: Affordable Housing Process in Cork City

Hi, does anyone know is it possible to find out what position on the waiting list you are?

hi bubblebunny,

I dont think there is a waiting list as such.
With every property they'll take everyones applications from those interested and apply the points system to it.

i was speaking to the Cork City Council regarding phase 2 of shanakiel and they said it takes 3-4 months to process all the applications.

They also said if you are a regular saver to send them updated statements of your savings regularly

hi bubblebunny,

I dont think there is a waiting list as such.
With every property they'll take everyones applications from those interested and apply the points system to it.

i was speaking to the Cork City Council regarding phase 2 of shanakiel and they said it takes 3-4 months to process all the applications.

They also said if you are a regular saver to send them updated statements of your savings regularly

Yeah, but I'm sure lots of people are on the same amount of points, so there must be some way of differentiating between the people?

Yeah, but I'm sure lots of people are on the same amount of points, so there must be some way of differentiating between the people?

There is a way: get a local counsellor whom you know well to fight your case for you. That's the only way to do it. The list is a phantom list. It is all about what pull you have, not being smart.

I was offered a house in rathcormac last week and i am delighted with it, i have seen the showhouse but not sure what type i am going to be offered yet. does anyone know the process here after the letter telling you that you are going to be offered a house how long until you actually get the key's etc....?

I would think if there are a number of peopl on the same points they'll give a weighting to one of the points categories, presumably how long you've been on the list....

There is a way: get a local counsellor whom you know well to fight your case for you. That's the only way to do it. The list is a phantom list. It is all about what pull you have, not being smart.

Unfortunately, I'm sure that is probably true :mad:

I went to my local counseller and it hasnt gotten me a house. When I asked them what I was doing wrong they told me it was my savings record ie its not great. They do also take into account things like how much rent you pay and if you live in the area. The moral of the story is you need to move into a house in the locality and pay a fortune in rent, dont go outside the door in order to save every other penny you have left, get a partner who earns a pitence and have a couple of kids. Easy peasy....

I went to my local counseller and it hasnt gotten me a house. When I asked them what I was doing wrong they told me it was my savings record ie its not great. They do also take into account things like how much rent you pay and if you live in the area. The moral of the story is you need to move into a house in the locality and pay a fortune in rent, dont go outside the door in order to save every other penny you have left, get a partner who earns a pitence and have a couple of kids. Easy peasy....

Any idea what they'll consider a good savings record? €5k, €10k, €20k???
I think i've done well with my own savings and hope it'll stand to me..

There are people out there getting 100% mortgages for private homes with no savings at all. how can people on lower income who are applying for affordable housing be expected to have €000's worth of savings?

There are people out there getting 100% mortgages for private homes with no savings at all. how can people on lower income who are applying for affordable housing be expected to have €000's worth of savings?

Its difficult to understand. I'm willing to be patient at the moment and see if we can get lucky because if I went down the private route i'd be hard pressed to afford anything within 40 minutes drive of the city.

damocl, i wish you the very best of luck.

I really wanted one of the Eden apartments because all I need is a little apartment. I did everything right, got rid of all my debts, doubled my savings, I live in the area, I pay rent.etc. I really worked at it. The rent & my savings together should show that I would be capable of paying off the mortgage. Still not enough. The apartments went to other people. :rolleyes:

I really wanted one of the Eden apartments because all I need is a little apartment. I did everything right, got rid of all my debts, doubled my savings, I live in the area, I pay rent.etc. I really worked at it. The rent & my savings together should show that I would be capable of paying off the mortgage. Still not enough. The apartments went to other people. :rolleyes:

Bubblebunny

The CC really should give you some sort of feedback as to why you weren't offered one, it must be very annoying for you at the moment :(

Would it be worth getting onto your local TD - I know Michael Martin holds clinics regularly in the Mahon / Blackrock area, he has a website if you try googling him.

He may be able to get the council to pull your file and give you an update/ feedback on it , maybe you might land one of the next batch of housing they offer , wherever that may be

Try all avenues Bubblebunny !

Bubblebunny

The CC really should give you some sort of feedback as to why you weren't offered one, it must be very annoying for you at the moment :(

Would it be worth getting onto your local TD - I know Michael Martin holds clinics regularly in the Mahon / Blackrock area, he has a website if you try googling him.

He may be able to get the council to pull your file and give you an update/ feedback on it , maybe you might land one of the next batch of housing they offer , wherever that may be

Try all avenues Bubblebunny !

Thanks Sarah, I'll look into my options :)

Does anybody know or heard anything about the Affordable houses in Carrigaline? (I've been ringing the Co. Council but as usual there's no reply the phone just rings out and then some automated answering machine picks up)

Does anybody know or heard anything about the Affordable houses in Carrigaline? (I've been ringing the Co. Council but as usual there's no reply the phone just rings out and then some automated answering machine picks up)

I've been trying to phone them too but can't get thru either.

I did get a letter saying that the Carrigaline / Douglas houses could take up to a year to allocate as the Council aren't yet in possession of the houses.

I'm hoping to get some info regarding house types and prices , has anyone heard anything re this ?

Bubblebunny

You have the right to view your own file under the Freedom of Information act. You send the council a letter requesting to see your file, they will get back to you with an appointment. You then go into the council offices where they will give you a file in a private room to view it and if any of the information needs to be updated or is incorrect you can get them to change it.

Back