Affordable Housing - Eden Cork

Are they not legally obliged though to complete the snag to the purchaser's satisfaction? I mean, are you going to let them get away with replacing the door or do you think you'll just end up doing it yourself?

Yes, but some purchasers would not be willing to 'jepoardise' the sale...

But, yes, we will fight for at least a new door...I don't want to pay the same as everybody else and have an inferior quality apartment as a result...We are still paying a high price for a small space!!!

You would think we were getting the apt. for free

I know, you're dead right!! When do you think we'll be in by the way? Did they give you any indication when you went for the post-snag? Do you reckon we'll be in before the other blocks?

I know, you're dead right!! When do you think we'll be in by the way? Did they give you any indication when you went for the post-snag? Do you reckon we'll be in before the other blocks?

I'd say we will be in before the end of May, definitely before the other blocks... CCC (to reduce waiting lists - looks better come election time) and Firestone Developments (they can smell the money) are all anxious for completion of sale...

Have you seen other people (owner and renters) around the area recently moving in, laying floors, etc...a lot on myhome.ie for sale/rent (1 Duplex (2-bed) priced at 370k Euro - quick sale needed!!???)

All the shrubbery has been planted, (lesser quality and quantity in the Affordable areas), and the area cleaned, etc...

Hope to see you down there soon!!!!

Yes i was there yesterday at the showhouses. They are amazing. They are going to be on RTE1 on Showhouse in the coming weeks apparently. Very impressive, as are the gardens all around. There was alot of activity down there yesterday alright. Fingers crossed we'll be in the end of May.

Has anybody else been given any information re: moving in time?

We have been purchasing furniture, appliances, etc...would like to get started on floor laying, tiling etc...

Well I had my snag done. There wasnt too much to complain about. The main things were:
Dampness around the back door - the step on the outside is too high and rain water is able to get in.
Dampness in the bathroom also - unknown reason.
The biggest thing is that the plumbing is too far out from the walls in the kitchen - ie the washing machine isnt going to fit.
The front door is also damaged.
My engineer doesnt think they will fix the plumbing or the front door but we are going to try anyway. Passat did you have any luck with your door?
There were a few more cosmetic things also. My engineer thought the build quality was quite good though.

Well I had my snag done. There wasnt too much to complain about. The main things were:
Dampness around the back door - the step on the outside is too high and rain water is able to get in.
The biggest thing is that the plumbing is too far out from the walls in the kitchen - ie the washing machine isnt going to fit.
My engineer doesnt think they will fix the plumbing or the front door but we are going to try anyway. Passat did you have any luck with your door?
There were a few more cosmetic things also. My engineer thought the build quality was quite good though.

Hi Buck, we have the same problem with the plumbing and there is no way that we are leaving them away with not fixing it. Our engineer is adament that it needs to be fixed. You can't possibly plumb a kitchen the way they have and leave a big pipe sticking up in the middle of nowhere sure you can't get anything in that space. I'm just wondering why they plumbed it like that? Why would you're engineer think they won't fix it. That's surely a huge thing?

Hi Princessl, My engineer said they probably wont fix it because it would be a lot of hassle for them and we probably would be able to get a machine in there, he is going to argue for it though. He thinks whoever did the design originally measured it wrong. Some of the rads are in strange positions also, 3 in the sitting room, another over to the side of a window instead of under it in another room. Of course I forgot a measuring tape so I cant be sure of the sizes of anything. Did your kitchen have an extration unit, mine only had the pipe hanging down. Another thing that came up was the parking, there seems to be four spaces outside our apartment - two outside our front door, the other two at the other side of the stairs. I presume the two outside our front door belong to us - has your soicitor said anything about this. I could see this becoming an issue if the people in the duplexes had two cars but only one space.

Hi Buck, no ours doesn't have an extractor unit. Our plumbing must be alot worse than yours because there is no way we'd get anything in there. Each apartment has one space for car so it means that if you have two cars you have to park one behind other. Our solicitor confirmed this for us.

I am in the other block and I think our parking might be a bit different, it is much shallower where we are. We wouldnt be able to park one behind the other.

I am in the other block and I think our parking might be a bit different, it is much shallower where we are. We wouldnt be able to park one behind the other.

It's probably the same for them all though, one parking space and you'll have to find parking somewhere else. It's a pain in the ass i know but what can you do!

My engineer told me that by law the minimum amount of parking we should have is 1+1/2 spaces. I really dont fancy someone else parking right outside my front door so I will definetly be clarifying it with my solicitor.

It's probably the same for them all though, one parking space and you'll have to find parking somewhere else. It's a pain in the ass i know but what can you do!

Hi Princess,

Are you a mid-terraced or one of the two end-terraced ground floor apartments in the block where your front door is facing the south boundary wall with the proposed 'ALDI' and library block under construction just beyond?

Any feedback from developer re: kitchen plumbing..

My engineer told me that by law the minimum amount of parking we should have is 1+1/2 spaces. I really dont fancy someone else parking right outside my front door so I will definetly be clarifying it with my solicitor.

Have a look at property plans that your solicitor should have received from CCC. They indicate the designated parking space (1) for your allocated unit....

Ours is outside our bathroom window. I would rather have my car outside our front door/living room window. I may have to do a swap with whoever has this space, if possible...

Hi Buck,

any feedback from developer re: front door damage and kitchen plumbing...

We have also complained about some of the window frames being slightly chipped/damaged. It's obvious that they are cast offs from 'Regular Development' or damaged in transit - front/back door included

Give it to the 'Affordable Housing' people, they'll be glad to take anything..

Hi Passat, We only sent in our finalised snag list today so we will have to wait and see. I only just sorted out my mortgage so I havent spoken to my solicitor yet. I might ring there now. The parking would be a big issue for me, for example what if my neighbour has a big van and parks this outside my sitting room window blocking all my light! ok I am probably being a bit dramatic but better to have it clear now rather than have an argument later!

Hi, I am new to this forum but I am living in Cork and have just applied for Affordable Housing through the city council. They have a lot of housing coming on stream in the next 24 months in areas all over the city.

I was wondering if anybody had any idea if any other apartments would be released by the developer under this scheme in Eden? Blackrock and Mahon were two of the areas on the council's form for interested applicants. They are in a great location and look fantastic.

I was down at the recent apartment release, the plans look good, but they will not be completed until July, 2008.

Have any of the other posters here moved in yet? What are their opinions of the place? Teething problems? etc.

Thanks in advance.

Just wondering if anybody has any information regarding east boundary wall. At present the gable ends of Blocks 4 and 5, and the rear of blocks 1-3 are bordering an eight foot steel fence. Beyond this fence, by about 15 feet, is the old and crumbling, (in most places), Ursuline Convent wall.

Are there plans to restore this wall and remove the fence? A recent stroll down the laneway running parallel to this wall revealed a waste dumping area for drink cans, bottles, vacuum cleaners etc...

Any further news on entry dates? snag-list completions?

Just wondering if anybody has any information regarding east boundary wall. At present the gable ends of Blocks 4 and 5, and the rear of blocks 1-3 are bordering an eight foot steel fence. Beyond this fence, by about 15 feet, is the old and crumbling, (in most places), Ursuline Convent wall.

Are there plans to restore this wall and remove the fence? A recent stroll down the laneway running parallel to this wall revealed a waste dumping area for drink cans, bottles, vacuum cleaners etc...

Any further news on entry dates? snag-list completions?

hi passat, i asked the site manager about the metal fence and she said that is being left there. I havent seen my site plans yet but I was wondering does my garden stop at the fence or at the wall. I dont want to be responsible for the wall if it will be left in that condition! Regarding the laneway, if there is drinking going on down there we could petition the council to have it gated. I have seen that being done on other estates. I sent in my snag but I havent heard anymore. Have you had your final inspection yet? I also asked the site manager when she thought people would be in and she said she imagined some would have keys by the end of May. The way things are looking with mine I would say the end of May, start of June.

Back