Affordable Housing - Eden Cork

I rang the County Council yesterday and was told I could find out what my points were at the end of the month ... they must still be assessing applications !

Hi lads,

After much toying around they have agreed to replace our front door. They are anxious the sale goes ahead soon. Hopefully we will have our keys soon after that, at last.

Re: the bin collection situation. I understand that a number of residents have already moved in. What arrangements have these people made, if any?

I agree with Buck, this could cause problems. Perhaps when we are all in (N4 and N5 blocks) we should setup a household committee to arrange, organise and deal with such matters. I know that not all would be willing to go down this road, but it could prove a more viable alternative than separate bin collections. Just a thought...plus it would be an excellent way to get to know the neighbours in a new development such as this...

Guys I rang the county council the other day and was given points and they said they are starting to call people, so I think it just depends who you are talking to..

Hi lads,

After much toying around they have agreed to replace our front door. They are anxious the sale goes ahead soon. Hopefully we will have our keys soon after that, at last.

Re: the bin collection situation. I understand that a number of residents have already moved in. What arrangements have these people made, if any?

I agree with Buck, this could cause problems. Perhaps when we are all in (N4 and N5 blocks) we should setup a household committee to arrange, organise and deal with such matters. I know that not all would be willing to go down this road, but it could prove a more viable alternative than separate bin collections. Just a thought...plus it would be an excellent way to get to know the neighbours in a new development such as this...
Congrats on the door! Hopefully ours will also be replaced. A commitee sounds good, maybe we could also use the neighbours site, sometimes it is easier to say something online than in person.

I got 145 points, how did everyone else do?
Hi Pinkstars,

I got 155 for the Ballincollig area. Where are you waitining on? Douglas Ballincollig or Carrigaline? I reckon they are a bit further ahead with the Douglas houses as I think they may have started interviews for them. Not 100% though. But as far as Im being told, we will know a lot more within the next few weeks. They are really close to allocationg them now I think.....

Hi Pinkstars,

I got 155 for the Ballincollig area. Where are you waitining on? Douglas Ballincollig or Carrigaline? I reckon they are a bit further ahead with the Douglas houses as I think they may have started interviews for them. Not 100% though. But as far as Im being told, we will know a lot more within the next few weeks. They are really close to allocationg them now I think.....

Yeah waiting on Douglas/Carrigaline areas. Was told I did ok, and only reason I didn't do better was cause I don't have kids! Silly..

They said ring back in about 3 months to say where I am on the list. The panel is open for a year and any houses in the areas that come off will be taken from this panel.

They have started interviewing for affordability at the top of the list.......she said not all might get them, but of course they will.

Not thinking about it anymore and will ring in a few months time.

I actually feel physically sick over the wait at this stage. Every time I ring they just wont give me a straight answer about what my chances are. Apparently I have a good chance of getting called for the second round but I dont know what this means. If they are going from the top of the list, then obviously the people with the most points are gonna get the houses. I dont know. Are there many houses in Douglas. Cant even get a straight answer about how many there are in Ballincollig!

Im feeling the exact same as ye guys, I am waiting for Douglas but don't have a clue how many houses are there or will I even get a call. I was also told that I wouldn't get a call in the first round that it would be the 2nd round but this doesn't make me feel any better cause what happens if all the houses are gone in the first round.. I think it's a disgrace that they can get away with treating people like this.

There really should be a better system in place, as opposed to keeping us all hanging, and not giving out any info. Whats that about - why cant they just tell us outright whats happening - i really dont know what all the secrecy is about! Rang again today, and all im being told is that for Bcollig they are gonna be starting interviews in a few weeks. Its just never ending.....

Hi Lads,

We received keys yesterday afternoon, YIPPPEEEE!!!! The weather has put a bit of a dampner on the whole thing though. We are looking forward to getting the place kitted out and meeting some of the neighbours.
I noticed a lot of the Affordable units are occupied, blinds, curtains up and garden sheds put in...

Lots of work ahead...

Thanks Princess....Just wondering if anybody has undertaken to set up refuse collection?

Hi Passat, not as yet. I know a few people are keen to get those large bins that everybody could use but everybody would really have to agree to that. Have you noticed that some people are already dumping their rubbish in the bin areas !!!!!!

Hi Passat, not as yet. I know a few people are keen to get those large bins that everybody could use but everybody would really have to agree to that. Have you noticed that some people are already dumping their rubbish in the bin areas !!!!!!

Yeah, I have noticed that alright. I will be around the area on weekend and will attempt to talk to residents of N5 block, re: setting up of communal refuse collection. It should be cheaper overall to have a large bin for waste.

We are putting in timber flooring throughout, (except bathroom and kitchen), so we have to significantly dry out the apartment for 2-3 weeks. For this reason I have the heating on/off periodically during the day with the vents and windows partially open to assist ventilation.

I'd say we will not be occupying till August, hopefully the weather will be better by then.

How are things going with your apartment?

Our apartment is going great. They are doing the gardens today, i saw the other blocks gardens yesterday evening and they look great. They started ours this morning b4 i left for work. It's coming along slowly but surely. Best of luck with it anyway.

Back