Affordable Housing with Fingal Co Co

Tracey,

Im assuming u went for a house in ringfort. Wat things were wrong for eample? Give me some ideas.

Put a deposit on a house there last friday.. want to have an idea on waiting times ....

Hi Keithrus,

I didn't go for a house in Ring Fort - my house in in Dublin 15.

I had a few issues - the water pressure, cracked roof tiles, bad paint job, uneven flooring, electrical problems, none of the windows were sealed, none of the doors closed, the banisters wasn't varnished and there was a few more..

I was lucky not to be waiting too long but i did have neighbours who had to wait 4 times as long

Hi Traceybere,

Thanks for the insight. Cracked Tiles OMG!! Hope you do well in your new place and wish u the best for the future :)

Has anyone gone for a house in Ringfort? Got their snag done. Anything in particular that stood out in relation to problems to be sorted. What was the turnaround time?

Also would like peoples opinions on going with the council versus the financial institutions to pay the remainder of the house. What stumbling blocks have ye come across before you got the key in both instances?

Good luck to all who got their house!!

Hi Keith, I got a hourse in Ringfort and had the snag done yesterday, my brother is a builder so he did it for me, he was surprised as there is very little to be done on them, he struggled to put stuff on the list. He reckons the finish has be done very well. I put things on like shrinkage cracks in the plaster on the stairway and some other walls in the house, leveling out the back garden as it is on a bit of a hill and then things like the brasswork on the front door. Fingal estimate about a month to comply with the snags so fingers crossed. Goodluck with your house!

Hi All.
I too have bought a house in ringfort I really liked the big gardens.i got a three bedroom

I notice that people have discussed the 3 bed in general on this for ringfort. Has anyone looked at the two beds and what are their thoughts.
I looked at the two bedroom ones and they seemed to be of similar excellent build quality and proportion.

Re Snagging.
I am bypassing the snagging on the house because i couldn't be bothered waiting 2 months or whatever for snagging and also when i looked at the house back in Janruary my brother in law came with me (a professional snagger) and we were hard pushed to find anything that needed doing.
I hope to have the keys next week.

The only issue I have with the estate is that part of it (the affordable house) faces my estate (Balruddery Wood) and I wasn't told that we would have to share access with another estate when I bought my house.
I know what you are saying Dubmick and i have similar concerns about who is in my neighborhood. the way I'm looking at it is, I'm a secondary school teacher and am presuming that anyone else buying there must have a fairly reasonably job as well.
Every new estate seems to have an amount of social housing and from what i have seen in Ringfort they seem to be all quiet house proud already.
Don't worry i may be facing you but i know my way around a garden spade as well - or is that shovel.

It is a bit of a spin into town from Balrothery, I'm not sure what traffic is like but I'm getting my motorbike back in action for September.
but to my mind the benefits far outweigh the drawbacks.

• good size proportions
  • Well built houses with big front and back gardens
  • A great area. How could you not love that quaint little village. They didn't even have a shop til lately, where else could you get that in Dublin, its like the country in the city.

Sure thats brilliant. Congrats on ur new home :) I will talk to my snagger to see what he makes of it all. If there is little or none to be done sure I may do the same. Best to have a final check before sealing the deal. That was a good move having the snagger come with you. Anyway. From all reports it seems like a good build done by the council, so fair play to them for getting the houses done for everyone.

When we are all in. Pints are in the local lol!!

congrats to mufflets and barb on your new homes. I'm sure you will be very happy in Balrothery, it is a great place to live. Handy to have a boozer in walking distance :)

Out of curiosity where are the houses you got? Are they facing Balruddery Wood? The houses beside me look nearly finished. They've been doing a lot of work on them in the last week.

Thanks for the congrats folks
When we are all in. Pints are in the local lol!!
Now your talking

Out of curiosity where are the houses you got? Are they facing Balruddery Wood?.
Rather not say (everyone know your business and all that)
Im not far from you.

Does everyone have them massive sewer manholes in the back garden?

They seem to be plenty-full alright, i have one where i want to patio but there are lots of ways of covering/disguising them.

Still no keys Im going to be on the streets soon. Anyone notice that it takes longer to sell/buy a house than it does to build one ,why bother inventing new technology to build houses faster when selling agents go so slow.

we got approved in april and have been offered 1 house and 2 apartments in balbriggan since, we are on the local list for balbriggan rush skerries area.All we want is a house in Rush.

Hi there,

Congrats on getting accepted. Its the first step to getting your own place!

Rush is a good town with moderately good commuter options if you have no car. Nice beaches and good to have a walk. Joes chipper is the best in town.

Is there any other reason why you would like there?

Hi all, we applied for AH to Fingal Couny in July last year, got approved April 2008!!! :mad:

So far we were offered an apt in Charlestown (to small, we have a baby already and planning to have more), duplex in Castlelands in Balbriggan (got an impression it's like a ghetto already) and duplex in Ladyswell (I lack the local knowledge, but Ladyswell rather scared me). If all AH is going to like that, then I think I might lose hope of getting somewhere I really like!

Hi MammaZebra

Yes, you have a point. Charlestown, Balbriggan and Ladywell are not exactly property hotspots!

The Affordable Housing Scheme in Fingal would be much more meaningful and appealing if there were better properties in better locations available.

I've been waiting ages for a good affordable home - now I think I'd be much better off to try and find something decent on the open market. My advice - keep an open mind on the affordable scheme but don't bet your future entirely on it.

Hi all, we applied for AH to Fingal Couny in July last year, got approved April 2008!!! :mad:

So far we were offered an apt in Charlestown (to small, we have a baby already and planning to have more), duplex in Castlelands in Balbriggan (got an impression it's like a ghetto already) and duplex in Ladyswell (I lack the local knowledge, but Ladyswell rather scared me). If all AH is going to like that, then I think I might lose hope of getting somewhere I really like!

Hey Zebramamma

I really hope you don't loose faith - i was a while on the list - in the end i went for the AHI instead - we got a beautiful big three bed in Dublin 15

I couldn't be happier - keep the pressure on them

TB

We applied in April 2008, and were approved 2 weeks after we submitted the appplication :) I never thought it would move that quick for us.
Like you, we've been offered Charlestown, Balbriggan , Cruise Park Tyrellstown and Ladyswell but none were suitable.

Fingers crossed something will happen for us over the next few months !

Traceybere, do I have to put my name on a different list for AHI? I'm on AH list so far.
It's so good to know that you found your perfect house! Hopefully, we all will some time in the future.

As for the long wait for being approved-Fingal CoCo told me that they had a BACKLOG last year, but now they have more staff and deal with applications much quicker...Good news for those who applied recently.

Homeboy, thanks for your advice. Do u mind if I ask how long u have been on AH list?

I can't help thinking that most of the AH I have seen so far looked like ghettos or council enclaves. So if, hypothetically, I get a house in Ladyswell or Castlelands, am I going to be labelled accordingly by other ppl? Isn't my kid going to be stigmatized if I want to send her to a good school???

I can't help thinking that most of the AH I have seen so far looked like ghettos or council enclaves. So if, hypothetically, I get a house in Ladyswell or Castlelands, am I going to be labelled accordingly by other ppl? Isn't my kid going to be stigmatized if I want to send her to a good school???

Mama.zebra

You are what you make of it. Don't worry about the pettiness of others. Hope you find a place soon.

Traceybere, do I have to put my name on a different list for AHI? I'm on AH list so far.
It's so good to know that you found your perfect house! Hopefully, we all will some time in the future.

As for the long wait for being approved-Fingal CoCo told me that they had a BACKLOG last year, but now they have more staff and deal with applications much quicker...Good news for those who applied recently.

Homeboy, thanks for your advice. Do u mind if I ask how long u have been on AH list?

Hi Zebramamma,

here is just one of many examples

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?daftID=0ea586b7e508a47c8e47bef4764080ef&id=354341

if you ring 016564100 they will give you all the info

the AH is a really long list the AHI is much shorter but you do need a nighher income or savings to make up the difference in your mortgage

Back