Affordable Housing with Fingal Co Co

ci1

Looking to hear from anyone that is approved, on the list, waiting to hear??

Trying to get a general idea of how long everyones been waiting, and if anyone has had any offers in the past few weeks.

I've been approved a month now but have heard nothing.

Thanks,

C.

Re: Affordable Housing with Fingal

There is some affordable housing that has been completed on Kettles Lane beside Drynam Hall that looks really nice mostly Duplexs. Funny thing is it's complete about 4 Months now and theres no sign of anyone moving in. I believe the develope is awaiting on a Planning decision and this may be influencing when it is released.

I got approval in early June last and was told at the interview that I should expect to wait approx six months for my first offer.Have nt heard from them since. Rang them last week looking for an estimate on how close I was to being offered a property and they could nt/would nt tell me. They said it depends on the amount of properties that come up (obviously!), your postion on the list (obviously!!) and whether the people ahead of you accept or reject the properties that they are offered. Other posters say that it was around the six month mark when they were offered their first property.

is this the same thing as with the lottery style approvals? ie do u have to wait even if your number comes out?

No, fingal works off a list. When you get to the top, you are offered properties. Thats the scheme Im involved with anyway. All the councils vary in the way they implement it. SDCC for example also work off a list (waiting time for me on that one is a year and a half!) but operated a lottery system there recently for a number of properties. I can nt understand why they did not offer these proprties to the people currently on the top of their list. :confused:

Thanks Badger...I know from experience they are not great with their info.
My application was in for 3 months before I heard from them.

I know the houses at Kettles lane, they're really nice. They're about 10 minutes from where I live.
there are also houses in Balrothery that will be assigned to Aff. Hous. but a friend of mine lives out that way, he said they have not been touched in months, they need to be finished off.

Anyway, thanks for your posts, just wanted to see am I in the same boat as everyone else.
I'm sure all the waiting will be worth it for all of us.

C.

I finally got my approval letter in July after a 2 month long debate. I got denied by a very lovely lady who told me straight on that she doesn't think she can pass me through because of the type of car I drive (Merc). Personally I didn't see what that has got to do with anything but her and her manager were not burging. So I filed a complaint and the first person that looked over it came back and still agreed with them that they had a right to denied me because of the same reason (I kid you not). So, I too to the next step and file another complaint to a higher authority and I wrote that my next complait would be read through the news paper.

I was granted another interview which I went and told them that my lawyer was running a bit late and would be joining us. They were not happy. I was told if I would sell my car and I kindly said no. It shouldn't matter what kind of car I drive. I have a car loan just like everybody else. It shouldn't matter if it's Toyota or Punto. It's still a car loan. We finally came to an understanding and was told they would like more time to think it over.

Two months later in July, I got my approval letter. Four months later (November this week on wednesday the 15th to be exact) I got my offer of 2 proberties to view. Dun Saithne, Balbriggan and Kettles lane, kinsealy.

I think my wait took four months because they counted from the time of my first applying but that's just my opinion. I'm not sure what the next step if after that though. Do we show all the documents again at the final approval? Can anyone who has been through this help?

hi
It's aI applied in dec 04, was told i shouldn't have taken out savings (not a loan!) from my CU a/c to buy a car so had to complete 3 further mths of saving. Went back in march 05 and submitted application, got final approval in June 05. They were prompt enough in showing me an apartment in Balbriggan, which i said no to.. saw a few more over the summer and found one I liked

hi
It's a long drawn out process and I found the staff at Fingal are difficult to deal with, to say the least!I applied in dec 04, was told i shouldn't have taken out savings (not a loan!) from my CU a/c to buy a car and should not be using my laser card as much as i had been! So I had to complete 3 further mths of saving. Went back in march 05 and submitted application, got final approval in June 05. They were prompt enough in showing me an apartment in Balbriggan, which i said no to.. saw a few more over the summer and found one I liked and was offered it 'in principle' in Aug. It wasn't until end Oct that I finally got keys - with me calling Fingal on a daily basis to find out whether 'final approval' had been granted. (the boss was away on hols, they said) I felt that there was a bit of of an attitude that 'you're getting something for nothing' which is not the case as you pay a deposit and will be paying a considerable mortgage for 25+ yrs etc..Eventually I got keys, tried to do a snag list but was told I wouldn't have that option - just a surveyors report!
Anyway, I am now in the apartment for about 11 mths and am really happy but I think Fingal coco should better train their staff to be a bit more customer friendly (and clarify their saving criteria) as this is the biggest purchase most of us will ever make!

I agree with the comments about Fingal and how they deal with applicants.
I rang and mailed the lady dealing with my application continuously and she never replied or came back to me. She did ring me one day asking me 2 questions about the application which I answered for her. She called me then 5 weeks later to ask me the same questions, I really had to bite my tongue.
After 3 months I got my local TD involved and had a reply within 2 weeks.

I also got a letter last week to call about viewing apts in Balbriggan and Kinsealy, I called to arrange and they took my number, they called me back on Thursday to say they could not give me an appointment because they did not get to my name on the list so hopefully, fingers crossed I'll get one for Kinsealy this weekend.

Did anyone view the properties in Balbriggan on Saturday? Any offers made?

C.

Would I be correct in saying ci1, that you got your approval letter a month ago and you have now been offered a proprty?

I was offered nothing, I couldn't even get an appointment to see a property because I'm too far down the list.
in retrospect they should not have even sent me the letter if they could not honour an appointment but as per everyones experiences with them they seem to have their own process?

what areas did you state as your preferance to live?

I chose Balbriggan/Swords/Malahide areas. I think they usually offer you properties close to your home town. I bought one in Rush, the 3rd I viewed so I was fairly lucky by the sounds of it!

Thats great. Its good to hear that someone actually got a viewing and an offer, gives hope to the rest of us.

did you have to pay 5% deposit or was it more?

I have rush/lusk/skerries marked on my application aswell. But to be honest beggars can't be choosers and I would look at anywhere they ask me to look at this stage.

But I'm quite far down on the list obviously so it might be a while yet.

C.

I paid a 7% deposit which incl. booking fee. I heard that there's going to be a huge development in Lusk in next 12 mths so that might bring more onto the market. Someone else bought one in Lusk Village development, about 1 yr ago.. Best of luck, worth sticking with - as an incentive to save regularly at the very least!

I said that I would be happy to look in any area. I found the same with them. The lady I was dealing with was nice but everything was black and white with her. Had to jump through hoops for her! People skills were nt the best. I have dealt with south dublin county council who were a small bit better but still leaving much to be desired. I find its just hard work dealing with them!!

I know what you mean.

Applying to them is a big deal, its a very big step for anyone to take. I'm single and saving every last penny I have since last March, my life is basiclly been on hold. No holidays, can't make plans cos I never knew when I would hear from them. Very different to what they told me at my interview.

And when you get little or no response when trying to deal with them its even more daunting.

But I dont' think its just them at fault and they're obvioulsy dealing with thousands of applicants....Where are all the properties? Seems to me that the amount being allocated is not in keeping with what it should be... Are building contractors giving as many properties as they should be?
Has anyone any info or thoughts about that side of it?

C.

I think this has been discussed before. From what I have read/heard developers have a couple of ways out of providing affordable housing including: where the developement is in a desirable area, they might swap their obligations there for a less desirable location or they give the council money rather than provide affordable properties.

I see, well that makes sense I suppose.

Does anyone know of any properties coming up in the fingal area anytime soon??????//

Back