Affordable Housing with Fingal Co Co

Anyone go to see Ringfort on Saturday in Balrothery? I had to turn it down cause it'd take me DAYS to get to work from there and I don't drive.. but they were lovely. Big houses with good sized bedrooms, massive driveways and really lovely big back gardens.

You must have gotten lost on the way to the viewing because the houses I saw in Ringfort were far from lovely. Aside from the fact that the estate is made up entirely of social and affordable housing, the houses themselves were poorly fitted with the length of them being an issue. There was only room for a very small living room, kitchen and toilet downstairs. The 2 beds bedrooms were ok in size but the 3 beds had 2 very small box rooms that you would struggle to fit beds in never mind wadrobes etc. The driveways were a grand size but that wont be much use to people as I doubt they will be driving big fancy cars with the 'reduced' prices in this development!
How can the council arrive at a market value of €320,000 for a house in this place (before they apply their discount to the ah buyer) You would want to be off your head paying half that to live in the This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language end of nowhere in an estate predominantly made up of social housing. This area in 5 years time will struggle to make €130,000 and I would advise anyone thinking of purchasing to keep your powder dry. If this is what ah entails (pawning off the worst housing stock priced artificially high to give an illusion of affordability) they should scrap the scheme.

I live in Balrothery and I don't consider it "the This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language end of nowhere"

You can lay into the estate all you want but Balrothery is a lovely little village.

I live in Balrothery and I don't consider it "the This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language end of nowhere"

You can lay into the estate all you want but Balrothery is a lovely little village.

I have no issue with the village itself and I happen to think the area is beautiful with some very nice houses and the locals seem pleasant enough.

However the transport links are not great and if you do not have a car it is very inaccessible (would you agree)

As a matter of interest as a local (who I assume does not live in Ringfort) how did you feel about the Ringfort development?

I drive myself so public transport doesn't effect me much but there are buses into the city every hour (might be every 30 minutes). Also the train station is in Balbriggan.

I drove to the airport in 13 minutes last week. Yes if you didn't have a car things would be difficult but it is not the arsehole of nowhere.

The only issue I have with the estate is that part of it (the affordable house) faces my estate (Balruddery Wood) and I wasn't told that we would have to share access with another estate when I bought my house.

the estate is made up entirely of social and affordable housing
Well, since I'm on the affordable housing list I actually don't mind that it's an affordable and social estate! I personally wish there were more of them being built. I still say the houses were fine with nice size kitchens, living rooms etc. Not expecting swimming pool, jacuzzi etc so, except for the location (agree with Clown, not that accessible if you don't have a car) I thought they were grand! :)

Kara,

What about the market valuation of €320,000 before the discount is applied? Would you consider that fair?
The whole concept of ah is to give decent hard working people like yourself a deserved opportunity to own a place of your own. 6 times the average industrial wage is not a fair nor an affordable price in my book!

Can anyone tell me how long they have been on the list to be offered a house in Ringfort, I'd love one are they all gone? anyone on the local list buy one and if so how long were you waiting?

hi
does anybody know roughly how long after the snag is done and given to the builder that you should be reinspecting the work done, also does fingal only sign contracts 1 day a month or once a week

I've been told that after you pay your deposit, you then can make a snag list but that the builders like to do 20 or so snags together so that while you might be ready to snag, your neighbours mightn't and this can cause delay as you wait.

does anyone know the square footage of the houses in ringfort balrothery? On reflection, we didn't get much information about them in our information pack. Also have no idea where to send the welfare form. My boyf rang up and asked but the people in the office didn't have any idea themselves.

As a side note, I have to say the office staff in Fingal have been so helpful and patient every time i've had a query and were very pleasant up in Balrothery when I met them.

Kara, I totally agree I have just purchased one of these houses and they are lovely, the workmanship is very decent I believe me I should know I have looked at lots of houses and these are way better than any apartment I have viewed in Dublin 13,Kinsealy etc, I suppose Clown you would prefer a ponsy one bed in Portmarnock instead of one of these houses, that you could actually stay in for years to come. The element of social housing is very small in this estate and the rest of it is made up of affordable housing and affordable initiative, incase anyone doesnt know you have be earning just under 40,000 to purchase one of these properties on your own! So if the estate is mainly working class people earning good money I cant see how it will be run down? Also incase you havent noticed there has to be an element of social housing in all private estates aswell as an element of affordable homes and thats accross the board I know of people who have paid over 400,000 in private estates and they have still had to accept that there will be social housing. Mick from Dublin I dont see how sharing access with ringfort to Balruddery is a problem? Its just a little stuck up I think! Balrothery is a lovely little village and I am sure everyone in Ringfort will be just as eager to keep it like that as anyone else in Balrothery.

Clown, I have been told the market value is 310k and I have had my own valuer from the bank and they agree with this valuation, so I think thats quite accurate, you are getting a house and its only a 20 minute drive on the M1 to Clarehall. The house I got all the rooms are quite roomy, although they are not huge(its not built like a mansion) but its much bigger than any apartment I know of. I think €195 is very reasonable you wouldnt get anything cheaper than that on the affordable except in Balbriggan or maybe a smaller propery.

hi Pix, I dropped my Social welfare form to my local office, even though your not on the social and in my case I havent been in years they still need it signed and stamped to say no payments were received for the previous year. Needahouse I think there will be another phase of viewings for the affordable as there are still some to be finished. I know that any one thats on the social housing have been housed already by the council in this estate and the rest are all for affordable housing and affordable initiative, so you could ring and ask them.

Also incase you havent noticed there has to be an element of social housing in all private estates aswell as an element of affordable homes and thats accross the board

I wish people would bother to research their facts before making such sweeping statements. The fact is that 1. most smaller villages and towns lack Area Plans and thus specific zoning for residential (beyond a broad requirement that land within the speed limit signs on approach roads may be considered for development). There is anecdotal evidence that some developers are targeting such sites to avoid the Part V provisions for social and affordable housing and 2. no requirement to provide mixed housing for sale or for rent is placed on local authorities and housing associations where they are lead developers and owners of land.

In relation to your market valuation, I am afraid you have been badly advised. If you think that a private buyer will pay €300k plus for a house in Ringfort than you are as naive and badly advised as your posts indicate. You highlight that the ah side of this developemnt is for people earning less than 40k. Can you tell me how 5 times the maximum salary allowed constitutes affordable? Maybe your neighbours who contribute diddly squat for their social house understand the value of money but your definition of affordable and your ability to count leave me worried. To my eyes there was a huge number of social housing in the estate. I spoke to a number of residents who expressed the problems they have already encountered with this side of the development but again as with the rest of your research or rather lack of it, you probably didnt bother your This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language speaking to the people at the coal face! Probably too busy admiring the quality of craft manship in the upstairs bathroom?
In relation to €195k being the cheapest price you will pay? We are seeing private properties going for just above that mark in and around the areas you spoke of. If the council bothered to familiarise themselves with the falling price of housing, their re-evaluations would mean that people like yourself should pay no more than 3 times your salary (provided you earn no more than 40k p.a.) The council need not have any fear of any clawback coming their way anytime soon as I gurrantee you that if you come to sell within the next 5 years, you will not make anything over 200,000. Quote me on that and throw it back in my face but thats the relaity of the situation.

There are houses for sale in Balrothery (three bed semis in The Coach Yard area) for €328,000 and €340,000 so I do think that €310,000 for a good sized three bed semi with a large back garden is a fair valuation.
Right, commence shooting me down... :rolleyes:

Clown, and I think the name definitely suits you! seen as you seem to know so much about this estate why dont you call door to door to advise everybody? Or better still sit in Ringfort with a Plaque. I can gurantee you I have done all my research and I am far from badly advised. I am happy to get an affordable home in Ringfort and if in ten years time it barely makes 200k my claw back is reaccessed with fingal, and I have been told that by the council. I can assure you I am not earning 5 times the amount to qualify for the affordable housing, a single applicant has to be earning under 40 k and in order to qualify for the mortgage you have to be earning just under this, or have you not done your research? you seem to have way too much time on your hands as you want to express such negative attitude to this estate and to anyone who has bought here. I can gurantee you, I am happy with my home, and I didnt say craft man ship I said work man ship, obviously the houses are just like a shell, and its what people put into them. The likes of you doesnt deserve to be on the affordable housing, if you are, as you wont appreciate it!!!

There are houses for sale in Balrothery (three bed semis in The Coach Yard area) for €328,000 and €340,000 so I do think that €310,000 for a good sized three bed semi with a large back garden is a fair valuation.
Right, commence shooting me down... :rolleyes:

Thats like comparing a house in Ballymun with a house in Santry.
One is a house in a private development. The other is a council house.

Clown, and I think the name definitely suits you! seen as you seem to know so much about this estate why dont you call door to door to advise everybody? Or better still sit in Ringfort with a Plaque. I can gurantee you I have done all my research and I am far from badly advised. I am happy to get an affordable home in Ringfort and if in ten years time it barely makes 200k my claw back is reaccessed with fingal, and I have been told that by the council. I can assure you I am not earning 5 times the amount to qualify for the affordable housing, a single applicant has to be earning under 40 k and in order to qualify for the mortgage you have to be earning just under this, or have you not done your research? you seem to have way too much time on your hands as you want to express such negative attitude to this estate and to anyone who has bought here. I can gurantee you, I am happy with my home, and I didnt say craft man ship I said work man ship, obviously the houses are just like a shell, and its what people put into them. The likes of you doesnt deserve to be on the affordable housing, if you are, as you wont appreciate it!!!

The name clown would be more apt for people like yourself who think (is it 6 times your annual income or is it more than that) is an affordable price for a half length house in an estate full of refugees and free loaders!
I am sure the majority of people will be happy living within Ringfort. However I bothered to speak with some residents currently residing there and they confirmed some fears I had. Did you bother to do some research or did you just speak with people from Fingal Co Co?
How can they reasses clawback when there wont be any clawback?
Its the likes of you who deserve the affordable housing. Paying 6 times your annual income and you think you have an affordable home! Barnum said 'theres one born every minute' Reading some posts on here makes me disagree. Theres one born every second by the looks of it!

So tell me where you got your information that the estate is full of refugees? Then if you could tell me which residents you were talking to I will approach them and speak with the council. You think your so clever CLOWN but your a stuck up snob and I hope at some stage people look down on you the way you look down on Social and affordable housing. What goes around comes around! I am buying a house privately in a council estate, there is nothing wrong with that, if thats the case your looking down your nose on everybody who lives in council estates, I personally am from a privately owned house in a council estate in Dublin 5, and there is certainly nothing wrong with that.

Back