Paris Olympics 2024

odyssey06

Opening ceremony is Friday night... I expect the French will put on a spectacle.

The soccer and rugby 7s have already started and... alas the Irish rugby 7s knocked out in QF by Champions Fiji.

RTE have a rundown here of Ireland's medal hopes.
I would also add to the list in the men's cycling road race, Ben Healy could sneak a silver or bronze.
Gold might be too much to hope for, he is a marked man after his breakthrough season last year and Ireland only has 2 riders.
The cycling superpowers have 4.

Rugby 7s lads did everything to lose that game tonight :confused:some very soft tries to conceede against Fiji ...
:(

The big pity was getting caught out by New Zealand in the last pool game ....and I agree they conceded soft tries to Fiji

Opening ceremony is Friday night... I expect the French will put on a spectacle.

The soccer and rugby 7s have already started and... alas the Irish rugby 7s knocked out in QF by Champions Fiji.

RTE have a rundown here of Ireland's medal hopes.
I would also add to the list in the men's cycling road race, Ben Healy could sneak a silver or bronze.
Gold might be too much to hope for, he is a marked man after his breakthrough season last year and Ireland only has 2 riders.
The cycling superpowers have 4.

I don't agree with forecasting medal winners though......it's just a bad idea and probably puts extra unwanted pressure on the performer's....

Rugby 7s lads did everything to lose that game tonight :confused:some very soft tries to conceede against Fiji ...
:(
A chap on the wireless this morning said that Fiji have never lost a 7's game at the Olympics.

Fiji have never lost a 7's game at the Olympics
No doubt, Fiji are fantastic in the rugby 7s arena, history shows it - but watching that game (again) last night, I do feel we gifted them the win.

The big pity was getting caught out by New Zealand in the last pool game
Agree @joer - it was a pity about that game against NZ, who themselves were knocked out by SA in the quarters! That result wasn't expected either.

To be honest I think the likes of the Rugby 7’s should not be allowed as an Olympic sport. I feel the same about some other Olympic sports. Next we’ll have gold, silver and bronze in Throwing-the-Wellies. Track & Field only for me, Sorry!

To be honest I think the likes of the Rugby 7’s should not be allowed as an Olympic sport. I feel the same about some other Olympic sports. Next we’ll have gold, silver and bronze in Throwing-the-Wellies. Track & Field only for me, Sorry!
imo it should only be for sports where it is the "pinnacle" for the sport.
At least Rugby 7s is a different version of rugby. Soccer should not be there for sure, and I say that as a soccer fan, but it brings in huge money and viewers around the world.
Tennis has the Davis Cup, don't think it should be there.
Not sure about Golf... the Ryder Cup is a bigger deal.

They should bring it back to been an amateur sport. No professional 'players' whatsoever...

They should bring it back to been an amateur sport. No professional 'players' whatsoever...
In an ideal world yes.
But the Chinese, Russians and their kind couldn't be trusted to abide by those rules, and back in the day the Soviets, East Germans, Romanians etc made a mockery of the rules.

Even in our own very amature game of golf there are the usual suspects 'massaging ' their handicaps to make sure it helps their game when it comes to playing the Monthly Medal or the Captains prize . The rest of the year they don't bother trying too hard :mad:

The opening ceremony parade bit of a damp squib... teams on boats cruising diwn the Seine.

The Eurosport commentators doing their best attempt at a Eurovision approach to the absurdity of it all.

We watched the entire opening ceremony of the Olympics. It was terrific from the outset. A different approach was taken as the Olympic Games were brought to the people rather than the other way round. The programme was entertaining and included many of the main sights of Paris.

The Irish contingent did us proud in their beautiful attire which was three years in the making. Each Irish competitor has his/ her county emblem stitched onto the uniform.

OK there was lots of rain. So what! Paris is Paris after all. Now let’s hope for fair competition and Best of Luck to all our sportspeople there.

We watched the entire opening ceremony of the Olympics. It was terrific from the outset. A different approach was taken as the Olympic Games were brought to the people rather than the other way round. The programme was entertaining and included many of the main sights of Paris.

The Irish contingent did us proud in their beautiful attire which was three years in the making. Each Irish competitor has his/ her county emblem stitched onto the uniform.

OK there was lots of rain. So what! Paris is Paris after all. Now let’s hope for fair competition and Best of Luck to all our sportspeople there.
I think the first hour was poor... Lady Ga Ga was a bit lost on the side of the river. I think a lot of the early stuff would have worked better in darkness. Also, I was watching the first hour on BBC and the sound was dreadful. RTE had too many ads. I switched to Eurosport and the quality and commentary were much better.

When darkness did descend, the last hour or so (minus the speeches) were spectacular... the illuminated horse riding down the Seine on a sea drone... the lighting of the cauldron \ balloon, Celene Dion's incredible performance from the Eiffel Tower.

I think the first hour was poor... Lady Ga Ga was a bit lost on the side of the river. I think a lot of the early stuff would have worked better in darkness. Also, I was watching the first hour on BBC and the sound was dreadful. RTE had too many ads. I switched to Eurosport and the quality and commentary were much better.

When darkness did descend, the last hour or so (minus the speeches) were spectacular... the illuminated horse riding down the Seine on a sea drone... the lighting of the cauldron \ balloon, Celene Dion's incredible performance from the Eiffel Tower.
I'm sure Lady Ga Ga was well paid for been ' lost , on the side of the river ' considering Celene Dion was getting around 4 million for her 'bit of work ' .
I would have done it for a free weekend in Paris :D

Surely France could have showcased some French singer instead of importing Lady Gaga, (doubt very much if that title would stand up to Burkes peerage scrutiny).

As for the parody of the last Supper....would love to have seen them try that with an Islamic equivalent.

Lady Ga Ga was a strange choice... also remarkable that a lot of the sports stars in prominent roles were from soccer, tennis and their fame isn't for the Olympics primarily.

Surely France could have showcased some French singer instead of importing Lady Gaga, (doubt very much if that title would stand up to Burkes peerage scrutiny).

As for the parody of the last Supper....would love to have seen them try that with an Islamic equivalent.
The French singer Juliette Armanet did a wonderful version of John Lennon’s “ Imagine “ and Celine Dion is the biggest selling French language artist .

Back