Paris Olympics 2024

What a difference a week makes. Last Monday the RTE studio were ecstatic when McSharry won a bronze. Last night when Wiffen repeated that feat the mood was funereal.

Canoe slalom racing is my new favourite sport, it's utterly bonkers.

BMX racing was fun too, it was like something out of the Young Offenders
The kayak cross racing is indeed great craic to watch, they're mad! 3*3 basketball is another great bit of entertainment, both finals last night were super to watch.
As for Mondo Duplantis, what a superstar.

Outside of GAA hurling, National Hunt Racing and football I know little of sport. I have a fleeting interest in Asssociation Football and almost zero knowledge of athletics. The main highlight for me during the current Olympics is the performance of our RTE presenters, commentators and pundits especially Derval O’Rourke, Robert Heffernan, Sonia O’Sullivan. Their explanations and insights are excellent on performance, tactics, training, psychology, race-day environment, personal thoughts, extensive knowledge etc. Well Done to RTE for allowing them to speak honestly.

Last edited:
Congratulations Kellie and thank you. Style and precision, you're the epitome of both, a credit to yourself, your community, your club, your coaches, and your country. The dancing at the end? Nil points I'm afraid, a triumph of enthusiasm over technical ability. Your fans must have spent last night begging, borrowing, and ahem-ing tickets. To Bernard and Kenneth, brilliant lads, huge thanks to you for your insight and professionalism.

Outside of GAA hurling, National Hunt Racing and football I know little of sport. I have a fleeting interest in Asssociation Football and almost zero knowledge of athletics. The main highlight for me during the current Olympics is the performance of our RTE presenters, commentators and pundits especially Derval O’Rourke, Robert Heffernan, Sonia O’Sullivan. Their explanations and insights are excellent on performance, tactics, training, psychology, race-day environment, personal thoughts, extensive knowledge etc. Well Done to RTE for allowing them to speak honestly.
RTE have been really good at this games, and the presenters letting the experts talk deserve credit as well. Not always the case on some channels.

Swimming experts were also very good and love watching their emotions.

And of course, there is Timmy Mac commenting on the basketball ! :) :)

Have to say really enjoying the Olympics at the moment, thought the opening ceremony was a bit of a let down compared to previous years
Started with the mountain biking, tennis and road cycling and as usual got hooked and wanted more
Now my evenings are the track cycling followed by the athletics and then round up the evening with a bit of surfing!!

I wouldnt normally pay much heed to synchronised swimming but this incredible performance by the US team has gone viral.
Yeah, Mrs C put it on the other night and delayed my bed time by over an hour
I remember my parents watching this stuff on Sunday afternoons back in the seventies but not in competitions but rather films
and of course as a child I was bored out of my mind but now fifty years later I'm blown away by it, just incredible stuff altogether
I feel that the judges and the poolside viewers don't get to see the best bits which are IMO the underwater and overheard shots

Isn't it strange how Ireland - as a pretty decent golfing nation with some world-class golfers - never win anything in the golf at the Olympics.?

Table of Golds/10 Million capita
Dominica
151.52​
St Lucia
55.87​
New Zealand
7.69​
Ireland
7.69​
Australia
6.74​
Netherlands
5.49​
Hungary
3.09​
Georgia
2.63​
South Korea
2.32​
France
1.95​
GB
1.88​
Italy
1.69​
Romania
1.58​
Canada
1.51​
Germany
1.07​
Japan
0.97​
USA
0.78​
China
0.20​

Last edited:
Isn't it strange how Ireland - as a pretty decent golfing nation with some world-class golfers - never win anything in the golf at the Olympics.?
The golf has been very poor by the 'Irish Olympic golfers ' standards..

What a great story. Olympians, multiple gold medal winners, a team-mate, and unassuming (dare I say "ordinary") away from the heat of battle. This has to be one of the best Olympic stories ever and it says a lot of positive stuff about us as a nation.

OK, I'll add it before they call the hurling hit squads out on me, and speaks volumes about the Fiercely Independent Nation of West Cork, aka FINOWC.

Last edited:
Daniel Wiffen acquitted himself well for his first elite open water swim but was never in contention for the medals, finished 18th in a time of 1:57:20

Gold medal went to Hungary's Rasovsky in a time of 1:50:52

A very tactical race, using currents and slipstreaming, reminds me of road race cycling tactics - very different to pool swimming.

Just watched the interview with the women's 4x100 relay team - Olympic Finalists! Well done girls (their description of themselves) and again to mention David Gillick. He has an insight and empathy with the athletes that I haven't seen with any other interviewer. He told at least one disappointed athlete who was apologising for her performance, that she had nothing to apologise for, reminding her of her time and the level she was competing at. Instant change from disappointed broken-hearted demeanour, to a smile and a sense of pride bursting out of the telly..

A strong run from Rhasidat Adeleke in the 400 metres but just outside the medals in 4th place :(

Back