Paris Olympics 2024

I found the entire spectacle boring beyond belief. They could have halved the cost by perhaps having all the water-craft/boat-based sports shown on The Seine with the land-based/athletics sports showing back-projections from the Seine. Lady GaGa a star of the Olympics? Spare us!

I found the entire spectacle boring beyond belief. They could have halved the cost by perhaps having all the water-craft/boat-based sports shown on The Seine with the land-based/athletics sports showing back-projections from the Seine. Lady GaGa a star of the Olympics? Spare us!
You old cynic. Then again I didn't bother watching it as I expected it to be boring so that probably makes me worse.

In a weird sort of way, I actually enjoyed it. Some of it, the long boat journey with the torch for example, was a bit tedious but some of it was superb. It was different.

I did find the hard right Christians mixing up Baccanalia and the Last supper very entertaining though.

There has been a few embarrassing mix ups of National Anthems it seems and we are only in the third day.... :oops:

I did find the hard right Christians mixing up Baccanalia and the Last supper very entertaining though.
I would have watched it if I'd known that would happen. Wasn't that something to do with the old Roman God of the Plebs or something? He was into drinking and cavorting and such stuff. A much better God than the one that replaced him, with all the guilt and self denial and killing people and all that. I could be completely wrong but couldn't be arsed Googling.

I would have watched it if I'd known that would happen. Wasn't that something to do with the old Roman God of the Plebs or something? He was into drinking and cavorting and such stuff. A much better God than the one that replaced him, with all the guilt and self denial and killing people and all that. I could be completely wrong but couldn't be arsed Googling.
Aye, Dionysus in Greek, Bacchus in Roman... he did have the power to drive people insane.

I found the skateboarding enjoyable to watch but not knowing the terminology behind some of the moves spoiled it a bit and I needed the replays in slo-mo (see I ain't all that curmudgeonly after all!) to appreciate some of the skills.

One thing that has jumped out at me is the number of swimmers with Irish connections in other countries, not just Haughey but the Hungarian with the Irish dad and the Nepalese swimmer with the Cork mother. Australia and the US seem to have Coughlins, Murphys and loads of other Irish names in their squad.

One thing that has jumped out at me is the number of swimmers with Irish connections in other countries, not just Haughey but the Hungarian with the Irish dad and the Nepalese swimmer with the Cork mother. Australia and the US seem to have Coughlins, Murphys and loads of other Irish names in their squad.
Or the Irish swimmer with an English accent?
It's great to see how people moving into and out of this country makes us more successful.

Back