Paris Olympics 2024

What a performance by Daniel! Magnificent! He even managed the first few words of Amhran na bhFiann before dissolving into tears. There's a lot to like here and I give not two figs about his accent or those of others (no comments about females in particular sounding like actors in American soaps) He can drink tay and ate spuds in my house any day. Well done Daniel !!

I'm fuming, I'm spitting bullets, nails, ball bearings, and brass tacks. How could any rational human being, let alone a group of them, yes you so-called boxing judges, deny the evidence of their eyes and mark down young Daina Moorehouse in that bout? It is a thundering disgrace. She boxed out of her skin and drove her opponent across the ring in the 2nd round of the bout to lose it 4-1, according to the judges. I can't say any more for fear of getting a red card or three.

Agreed!

And that is the second time it happened to her against the same opponent.

Horrendous decision. Judge 3 in particular, made up his mind before the fight started. There is no other rational explanation.

I anticipated of what was going to happen well before the bout. Daina boxed well and certainly was the better contestant. I have no doubt is saying this was a home town decision.

The judging rules of boxing were changed a couple of years ago to outlaw bad decisions. Daina held her cool during the televised interview and didn’t engage in sour grapes. She is a true Olympian and did us proud. I can’t say the same for the judges.

Supreme. They looked like the win was effortless out there on the water. Another "fluke" according to Paul. :D Skibereen the centre of the rowing world for now.

If we think that we don't do well at the Olympics it's worth remembering that we've won as many medals in the modern Olympics as India. That means that per capita we've won 273 times as many.

If we think that we don't do well at the Olympics it's worth remembering that we've won as many medals in the modern Olympics as India. That means that per capita we've won 273 times as many.
India is a case study in themselves in under performing. Their record is awful. I think rest of world hoping it stays that way!

We don't do well compared to Scandinavian countries, or likes of New Zealand, Croatia, Slovenia.

Clever tactical riding by the 2 Irish riders in the men's road race... Ryan Mullen went first, then Ben Healy bridged. Healy and another rider 30 seconds ahead of the peloton.
But there's 60 kms to go and the teams behind are getting themselves organised for the chase.
No team radios at the Olympics gives it a different dynamic to usual cycling races.

5kms to go in the cycling... Healy still in contention for a medal after an epic ride. Looks like cycling superstar Remco Evenepoel of Belgium will become the first male rider to win the gold in both time trial and road race. Amazing scenery of Montmarte in Paris as the riders complete the circuits.

Update - alas was not to be, didn't have the legs for the sprint but finished in Top 10.

Last edited:
Bronze for Daniel Wiffen in the 1500 metres as he finished well off Bobby Finke of US - Finke led from the start and took gold in a world record time.

Canoe slalom racing is my new favourite sport, it's utterly bonkers.

BMX racing was fun too, it was like something out of the Young Offenders

Back