Level 5 Countrywide from Thursday 22 October

I don’t think that any sport is necessary , for six weeks at least . I don’t mind missing golf but only for six weeks though. I am playing my last game today :)
No sport is elite in my opinion.
Well there's a strong argument that Golf isn't a sport at all so :p

We also weren't testing 100k people per week for the flu in Jan 2018, if we were I expect the number of "cases" of the flu would have been significantly higher. Why can't people make the simple deduction that the more tests you have the more positive tests you will have - tests which are being taken due to an increased effort to make people to take a test.
The problem with saying that this is like the Flu is that from season to season "the Flu" can be relatively mild or quite severe. Yes, it's a respiratory illness and yes there is some considerable degree is fear and over reaction and yes, the gross incompetence of so many (well meaning) people in both administrative and patient contact roles in the HSE is a big part of the problem but having said all that this is not like a normal seasonal flu.
To me the main difference is not that it is more deadly but that is it more infectious.

It certainly is an elite sure I am playing. :D Look at all the people who are going to be laid off when I stop for 6 weeks.

It certainly is an elite sure I am playing. :D Look at all the people who are going to be laid off when I stop for 6 weeks.
It reminds me of the Darts commentary in the 80's when some big fat bloke swilling a pint took his go and the commentator said "And the athlete steps up to the line..."

What is it about big fat blokes that you seem to have a fixation with. Although the darts must have been good all the same or you would not have heard that commentary :rolleyes:.
There is No comparison between darts and golf no matter what way that YOU look at it. I have no interest in darts by the way.
Golf is enjoyable whether playing on your own or with company , I think so anyway. I love playing the game. You should try it sometime....

Based on NPHET's calculations, for every 1,000 cases, 30-40 people will end up in hospital. But since this time last month we have had 18k cases and about 420 hospitalisations.

Are you confusing the total number of cases confirmed over an entire month with a daily figure for the number in hospital at that point in time?

What is it about big fat blokes that you seem to have a fixation with. Although the darts must have been good all the same or you would not have heard that commentary :rolleyes:.
There is No comparison between darts and golf no matter what way that YOU look at it. I have no interest in darts by the way.
Golf is enjoyable whether playing on your own or with company , I think so anyway. I love playing the game. You should try it sometime....
I do play it the very odd time. It's hard to describe how bad I am at it but I enjoy it anyway.

There seemed to be some confusion yesterday but a spokeswoman for the department of Sports & Tourism has stated:
“We can confirm that golf courses must close under Level 5 restrictions.”

There seemed to be some confusion yesterday but a spokeswoman for the department of Sports & Tourism has stated:
“We can confirm that golf courses must close under Level 5 restrictions.”
They aren't playing games, are they?

The government have published legislation providing for penalties for breach of restrictions on house parties, masks and 5km distance.

In the case of a first offence re: holding a house party, somebody found guilty would be subject to a fine not exceeding €1,000 or imprisonment for a term not exceeding three months or both.
In the case of a second offence somebody found guilty could be subject to a fine of €1,500 or imprisonment of up to three months.
For a third or subsequent offence there would be a fine of up to €2,500 or imprisonment of up to six months.
The legislation also states that the occupier of a home where an alleged offence occurred will be presumed to be the "event organiser".
People on their way to a house party or gathering and who refuse to leave the area in a peaceful manner when requested to do so by gardaí could face a fine of up to €1,000 or a one month prison term.

The legislation also makes a provision for a fixed penalty of up to €500 for certain offences. These are understood to include failure to wear a mask on public transport or in a shop or exceeding the 5km limit during Level 5 without justification.

There is no reason whatsoever to close golf courses. I will not be able to play because of the 5 km rule and that is fine. Golf is not a contact sport in any way . It is exercise and is outdoors . There is no comparison with GAA, Rugby , Hockey etc.

There is no reason whatsoever to close golf courses. I will not be able to play because of the 5 km rule and that is fine. Golf is not a contact sport in any way . It is exercise and is outdoors . There is no comparison with GAA, Rugby , Hockey etc.
I think the issue is people congregating at the entrance/shop/clubhouse/car park etc.

But the thing is people don!t. , especially when there is no competition. Everyone finishes at separate times , its only if there is a society that people congregate because they would be going food when everyone is finished.
For members when the game is over, unless you go for coffee etc which will not happen now ,you pack up and go home.
There was no mention at Golfgate about the game of golf it was all to do with the dinner afterwards.

You initially quoted a piece about hospitalisations.

As soon as that is blown out of the water you do the Gish dance and change the "real metric"

It's not the same as a flu... If that's your stance you need to have a word with yourself. And stop reading Facebook groups with Irish Flags which refer to "Plandemics"

It was a statement of fact, not sure how that could be "blown out of the water"

Simple realiity = misunderstanding or misrepresentation of what is a complex and changing situation.

So the death rate isn't the only real metric. It is one metric among others which are all connected.
The death rate isn't static because it is influenced by all the other metrics you have listed, including what restrictions are in play.
If ICU capacity is exceeded it will change.
If the age profile of the cases infected changes, it will change.
If better treatments become available, it will change.

Deaths are not sensitive to testing, deaths are an absolute value.

The "fact" you quoted about hospitalisations were out of context and incorrectly compared to current numbers (comparing total versus a point in time). That was pointed out to you and you then changed to "deaths are the real metric".

Your thesis is that this is no worse than the flu of 2017 / 2018. Leaving aside the medical differences, that is incorrect no matter what measure you pick. To pick the "real metric" - total deaths during that flu season was 255 according to the link you provided. Up to yesterday, the number for Covid was 1,868. Total ICU cases during that flu season was 191 - far less than with Covid. Total notified cases was 11,889 versus >53k (though more testing will lead to more know cases).

So why not go find a fact that proves your thesis

With reference to death rates this is of interest;
The overall mortality rate is 41 per 1,000 confirmed cases, this was highest in April at 74 per 1,000 confirmed cases but has been less than five in August and September.
The overall hospitalisation rate is 120 people per 1,000 confirmed cases, this was highest in March at 192 per 1,000 confirmed cases and is 40 in September.
The overall ICU admission rate is 13 per 1,000 confirmed cases, this was also highest in March at 28 per 1,000 confirmed case and is four people per 1,000 cases in August and three per 1,000 in September.
(Note: It is important to note that there is time lag between onset of symptoms and hospital admission or death. Also note that September rates are provisional).
Source

It is fair to say that with a more than 90% drop in mortality rates in confirmed cases since the peak we should recalibrate the discussion about the disease. From the same source;
By analysing the six months of summaries of COVID-19 confirmed cases since March in Table A, we can see the difference in the profile of people infected over this time. Women still make up the majority of confirmed cases, but in recent months this difference has lessened with men accounting for 52% of cases in August and 49% of all cases in September.

The percentage of cases amongst younger age groups has also increased in more recent months with confirmed case rates in people aged under 24 at 34% in September compared with less than 10% in March and April. A different trend can be seen in the over 80s age group, which have accounted for 2% of cases since July compared with 20% in April.

It was a statement that suggested you didn't understand the facts. You quoted a total number of confirmed cases for a month, can you point to the total number of hospitalisations over a month, or did you deliberately point to a daily figure in a deliberate attempt to misrepresent the situation?

Back