Level 5 Countrywide from Thursday 22 October

Garda checkpoint near me is a joke . I have yet to see anyone stopped and I pass by at least twice a day.

Perhaps we could have tried this at Level 2?

Gardaí are to be given new powers which will allow them call to homes and order that house parties are broken up. They will also be given the power to stop people from entering house parties or indoor gatherings which are banned under the Government’s Covid-19 restrictions. Gardaí will not be legally permitted to enter a home but they will be able to issue fines to the occupier of a house where an illegal party is taking place...
Once enacted, gardaí will have the legal authority to call to a home or other indoor venue and ask those present to disperse.
If those present refuse to comply with a garda request to leave the gathering, those living in the house will automatically be given a fine.
Under the new law, it will be presumed the occupier is the organiser, unless proved otherwise, and they will be issued with a fixed charge notice.

Perhaps we could have tried this at Level 2?

Gardaí are to be given new powers which will allow them call to homes and order that house parties are broken up.

Do we expect the local garda who told wet pubs in Cavan there'd be no checks carried out on the day of the county final to start enforcing these restrictions?

Do we expect the local garda who told wet pubs in Cavan there'd be no checks carried out on the day of the county final to start enforcing these restrictions?

Only if they don't like the person having the party, perhaps, or how well they know the person complaining, is the cynical reply for too many members of AGS.

Isn't a lot of the talk and the problem here that we simply aren't being told what the sources of the clusters are and where exactly they're happening? I think the drip drip of information and anecdotes from NPHET is an insult. They should publish detailed data on where cases are happening and no, there's been no real enforcement apart from telling otherwise law-abiding people to turn around to shop in a supermarket nearer where they live in April. Are house parties a real source of infection? Why isn't there a fine for not self-isolating while waiting for the result of a test? A member of the guards didn't do this in last few days! A person in the train of infection in the story of the holiday going super-spreader infected people while she was waiting for a test result.... fines for these people?

Reactions: mtk
As of today there are 315 Covid patients in hospital. In the first week of January 2018 alone, 535 patients were admitted with flu. Worth keeping in mind to put a bit of perspective on things.

You're so fond of this that you're posting on multiple threads. This is the "no worse than the flu" nonsense.

From that report - total number of cases = 11,889 of which 4,713 were hospitalised. Current tracker for Covid here is over 50k cases (don't have the cummaltive total of hospitalisations). You pick one week which was worse and compare with current number as opposed to picking the high point of hospitalisations here.

What's next - that it's all a conspiracy to get us to wear masks and be implanted with chips

Isn't a lot of the talk and the problem here that we simply aren't being told what the sources of the clusters are and where exactly they're happening? I think the drip drip of information and anecdotes from NPHET is an insult. They should publish detailed data on where cases are happening and no, there's been no real enforcement apart from telling otherwise law-abiding people to turn around to shop in a supermarket nearer where they live in April. Are house parties a real source of infection? Why isn't there a fine for not self-isolating while waiting for the result of a test? A member of the guards didn't do this in last few days! A person in the train of infection in the story of the holiday going super-spreader infected people while she was waiting for a test result.... fines for these people?

I've had similar thoughts myself, but then, if you picked it up at a house party \ not isolating after hols, would you disclose this in your close contact interview?
So I think any data they have on clusters is likely to be incomplete.
This lockdown seems to be a blanket approach of reducing people's list of close contacts, the R number in a general sense rather than in any specific way targeted at sources of clusters.

And then, would fines for not isolating after a test be a deterrent to people coming forward \ getting tested?
What if Paddy says that Jimmy (a neighbour he doesn't like) was a close contact, but was nowhere near him?
He then has to go for a test and isolate until clear...

As noted earlier in thread, we have serious issue with enforcement in this country, not just of covid but in general.

I've had similar thoughts myself, but then, if you picked it up at a house party \ not isolating after hols, would you disclose this in your close contact interview?
So I think any data they have on clusters is likely to be incomplete.
This lockdown seems to be a blanket approach of reducing people's list of close contacts, the R number in a general sense rather than in any specific way targeted at sources of clusters.

And then, would fines for not isolating after a test be a deterrent to people coming forward \ getting tested?
What if Paddy says that Jimmy (a neighbour he doesn't like) was a close contact, but was nowhere near him?
He then has to go for a test and isolate until clear...

As noted earlier in thread, we have serious issue with enforcement in this country, not just of covid but in general.
Yes, that’s a good point re stigmatisation of people going for tests. At the end of the day it’s all pretty hopeless in terms of trying to control the everyday behaviour of people. My issue is with lack of in depth data about numbers in certain areas. The cso website has more insight than the Hse one. I think we should be privy to all the data because our lives have been so profoundly disrupted by this. This lockdown is so that we can have an Xmas.... there is no plan for enhanced test and trace after this that I know of. The numbers will come down to semi manageable levels in terms of test and trace and then what?

In this country, with our useless health bureaucracy (which nphet essentially draws from), we cant seem to move and achieve anything to help mitigate the spread. Meanwhile nphet are lauded for ”keeping us safe”. I for one welcome enforcement, but only to a point. We are now saying that we can be fined for just physically being somewhere that is outside this magic 5k radius though not be engaged in any behaviour that is risky with regard to COVID. We ceded our rights like this once already. I suspended my doubts once in a situation that was utterly unprecedented. This time is different.

If you can't consider hurling and Gaelic Football at inter county level to be an elite sport. Then how can you call our rowers, swimmers, athletes, soccer players, hockey players, gymnasts elite?

By the way under age training in all sports can continue within certain conditions.

I don't consider inter county anything as elite sport. Irish counties are tiny. I consider competing at an international level as being elite.

You're so fond of this that you're posting on multiple threads. This is the "no worse than the flu" nonsense.

From that report - total number of cases = 11,889 of which 4,713 were hospitalised. Current tracker for Covid here is over 50k cases (don't have the cummaltive total of hospitalisations). You pick one week which was worse and compare with current number as opposed to picking the high point of hospitalisations here.

What's next - that it's all a conspiracy to get us to wear masks and be implanted with chips

We also weren't testing 100k people per week for the flu in Jan 2018, if we were I expect the number of "cases" of the flu would have been significantly higher. Why can't people make the simple deduction that the more tests you have the more positive tests you will have - tests which are being taken due to an increased effort to make people to take a test.

We also weren't testing 100k people per week for the flu in Jan 2018, if we were I expect the number of "cases" of the flu would have been significantly higher. Why can't people make the simple deduction that the more tests you have the more positive tests you will have - tests which are being taken due to an increased effort to make people to take a test.

We don't make that deduction because our positivity rate is changing also.
In July we had days with positivity rate of 0.3%.
Our positivity rate of late has been above 5%.

We don't make that deduction because our positivity rate is changing also.
In July we had days with positivity rate of 0.3%.
Our positivity rate of late has been above 5%.

Positivity rate, IFR, R rate, Cases, flatten the curve, don't overwhelm the hospitals - the narrative around the metrics of Covid are constantly changing.

The real metric is the death rate. The simple reality is that very few people are dying as a result of this virus.

The real metric is the death rate. The simple reality is that very few people are dying as a result of this virus.

You initially quoted a piece about hospitalisations.

As soon as that is blown out of the water you do the Gish dance and change the "real metric"

It's not the same as a flu... If that's your stance you need to have a word with yourself. And stop reading Facebook groups with Irish Flags which refer to "Plandemics"

Positivity rate, IFR, R rate, Cases, flatten the curve, don't overwhelm the hospitals - the narrative around the metrics of Covid are constantly changing.

Simple realiity = misunderstanding or misrepresentation of what is a complex and changing situation.

So the death rate isn't the only real metric. It is one metric among others which are all connected.
The death rate isn't static because it is influenced by all the other metrics you have listed, including what restrictions are in play.
If ICU capacity is exceeded it will change.
If the age profile of the cases infected changes, it will change.
If better treatments become available, it will change.

I don't consider inter county anything as elite sport. Irish counties are tiny. I consider competing at an international level as being elite.
I note there is some confusion regarding what is/isn't an elite sport where even we on the forum can't agree. Therefore, is it time to stop all sporting activities for at least 6 weeks?

Last edited:
Some sources are suggesting this breakdown\backlog is contract tracing was one of the reasons Government moved to Level 5.

THE HSE IS to ask more than 2,000 people who received a positive Covid-19 test result last week to alert their own close contacts due to “unprecedented pressure” on Ireland’s contact tracing system... Vulnerable people over 70 and schoolchildren among the confirmed Covid-19 cases over the three days,
however, are being called and their close contacts traced, the HSE said.

I don’t think that any sport is necessary , for six weeks at least . I don’t mind missing golf but only for six weeks though. I am playing my last game today :)
No sport is elite in my opinion.

Back