Level 5 Countrywide from Thursday 22 October

odyssey06

With effect from midnight on Wednesday night.

Only essential workers to attend offices.

A 5km travel limit for exercise will be in place under Level 5.

‘Support bubbles’ between two households will also be implemented for lone parents and vulnerable people; this guidance has been in the works since the last set of restrictions were announced last week (which advised against visitors to people’s homes or gardens).

Only essential retailers will be allowed to stay open: the Government is to “improve” the Pandemic Unemployment Payment and Employment Wage Subsidy Scheme, the Taoiseach said.

Bars, restaurants and cafés will no longer be allowed to seat people outdoors for meals, and instead will only offer takeaway and delivery services.

Schools, creches and other childcare services will also remain open.

The number of guests allowed at weddings will stay at 25, in a divergence from the Level 5 restrictions in the Living with Covid roadmap, which allowed for six attendees. The 25 includes the couple getting married and celebrant.

Construction will remain open under the plan.

People will be able to meet up outdoors with one other household away from their home for situations such as exercise, within a 5km limit.

Public transport will operate at 25% capacity to allow those providing essential services to get to work.

Hotels, guesthouses and bed & breakfasts may remain open, but only to provide essential services.

In recognition of the impact on children and young people of restrictions, non-contact training can continue for school-aged children, outdoors, in pods of 15. All other training activities should be individual only.

The Government has confirmed there will be a penalty for movement outside 5km of home, with exemptions to this for essential work and essential purposes.

Complete and utter madness and high risk, what if it doesn't work this time. The first lockdown had the public buy in but ultimately failed because they could not control the spread of corona when they opened up again even though they were the slowest country in Europe to open fully, with all the bars only opening for 2 weeks. Will they ultimately need to put the army on the streets to enforce this one. What happens then in 6 weeks ?

Reactions: mtk
Elite sports only to continue...

"no training or matches should take place, with the exception of professional, elite sports and inter-county Gaelic games, horse-racing and greyhound racing, which are being permitted to continue behind closed doors".

Complete and utter madness and high risk, what if it doesn't work this time. The first lockdown had the public buy in but ultimately failed because they could not control the spread of corona when they opened up again even though they were the slowest country in Europe to open fully, with all the bars only opening for 2 weeks. Will they ultimately need to put the army on the streets to enforce this one. What happens then in 6 weeks ?

They aren't claiming this will get rid of it. The aim is to open for December knowing that it will be 6 weeks before new cases increase to 300+ per day.

Consider it wave 2 of lockdowns. Doesn't exclude possibility of further tightening in new year.

Elite sports only to continue...

"no training or matches should take place, with the exception of professional, elite sports and inter-county Gaelic games, horse-racing and greyhound racing, which are being permitted to continue behind closed doors".

I like the way they don't classify Gaelic games as elite sports. I've been saying that for years!

I remember when the pandemic started in Ireland. Leo Varadkar was at pains to suggest that he was not imposing a lockdown as the word meant different restrictions in other countries. We never had a lockdown. My translation of the word lockdown is being confined to home with no leeway for travel except for essential items.

We're hearing that we are facing the 2nd "lockdown." We can travel within 5Kms of home, consequently no "lockdown." I wish our politicians and people would come to terms that we haven't seen a lockdown yet, at least.

But, perhaps if a "real" lockdown should occur it might be better for all of us.

The government owes a huge apology to NPHET for the way it was berated by certain politicians following the suggestion that two weeks ago we should have Level 5 restrictions. Tony Holohan, especially has been vindicated. I don't know how our government took their eye off the ball and had us inflicted with at least two more weeks where the virus profited.

But, the health minister Mr Donnelly (at ) says we were not ready for Level 5. Big mistake minister! The Irish people (unlike you) were ready for some real leadership which was not provided.

I agree. The restrictions should have happened two weeks ago. Why do they have restrictions if they are not enforced.( Michael Martin might as well have not made the announcement last night as all the news throughout the day were telling us what was going to happen anyway).
Bring in a curfew like is France and Spain for a few weeks but enforce it. Wearing masks should be enforced. Garda checkpoints should be enforced .
Travel restrictions should be enforced. Nothing is enforced in Ireland it seems. Now we all have to suffer.

I like the way they don't classify Gaelic games as elite sports. I've been saying that for years!

Well it's questionable whether inter county Gaelic should be classed as an elite sport, given they have day jobs where they are mingling.
It's a bit different to professional rugby or soccer players who can effectively self isolate when not playing.

Well it's questionable whether inter county Gaelic should be classed as an elite sport, given they have day jobs where they are mingling.
It's a bit different to professional rugby or soccer players who can effectively self isolate when not playing.
If you can't consider hurling and Gaelic Football at inter county level to be an elite sport. Then how can you call our rowers, swimmers, athletes, soccer players, hockey players, gymnasts elite?

By the way under age training in all sports can continue within certain conditions.

If you can't consider hurling and Gaelic Football at inter county level to be an elite sport. Then how can you call our rowers, swimmers, athletes, soccer players, hockey players, gymnasts elite?
By the way under age training in all sports can continue within certain conditions.

They might the elite of their sports here, but if they have day jobs I wouldn't call them elite in the current context.
They shouldn't be travelling around the country, playing in events and then turning up for work the next day as teachers, nurses, shop assistants etc
The restriction shouldn't have used the term elite but professional really.

Worth pointing out the cost in PUP for this Level for 6 weeks is estimated at 1.2 billion.
I don't think that takes into account lost sales in VAT etc or commercial rates but am open to correction on that.

NCT testing to continue, confirmed on NCT site as a valid exemption to 5km limit.
Garages etc will also remain open in level 5 for car maintenance work.

They might the elite of their sports here, but if they have day jobs I wouldn't call them elite in the current context.
They shouldn't be travelling around the country, playing in events and then turning up for work the next day as teachers, nurses, shop assistants etc
The restriction shouldn't have used the term elite but professional really.
I'd love to be telling members of the Leinster pack (rugby) that you shouldn't be collecting your kids from school, or speaking to teachers or other parents, or going into shops having travelled around the country representing Leinster. However, my resulting two black eyes might hide my leprosy.

Must say - the stay and spend scheme was a genius idea. No need to give us back a thing - takeaway is not included.... we'll just happy to be able to get a snackbox and a bottle from the offie on the way home without seeing a garda checkpoint

Back