Current public sentiment towards the housing market?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have spoken to 2 EA's in the area this week(one my own who sold for me and another Lucan based EA who showed me a property in Kildare that I am considering buying). Both said the market is an absolute disaster. One actually said there are certain areas which he would have to consider not taking on a property due to oversupply.

I am hoping to trade up, not necessarily to a bigger house, but just to a nicer area. Will not buy in an area with so many houses again.

Have selectively quoted here but I know you were looking for advice on an estate in Celbridge which I replied to, just to advise that we sold in Celbridge in May and there the market has really slowed in the few months since then. Still keeping an eye on it more so out of curiosity but houses in our old estate that had more land and were bigger (eg sunroom or conservatory etc) have only made 5-10k more than what we sold for only 6 months later although no price drops that I've noticed as of yet but get the feeling as there's a huge supply suddently that they arent far off.

One of our favourite blogs gets also gets mention in today's IT. :D

[broken link removed]

Just to show that your agent's suggestion of lowering the price is not an unusual one, log on to [broken link removed], a new blog that has appeared this month in cyberspace. The blogger is detailing a list of houses that have fallen in price in recent years and it makes quite a fascinating read.

EDIT: although I've just noticed that they got the link wrong. :rolleyes:
It should be: http://irishhousepricesfalling.blogspot.com/

It doesn't really matter, it will be 40% in a couple of weeks LOL

perhaps it should be called a "40% unrise", if it is 40% rise on the way up there should be a way of reflecting the same percentage for an equal change in value on the way down! ;)

If you say "My property went up 40% then dropped 27%" I think most of them will think you are still 13% up ;).

We'll all be experts on % falls soon enough.:p

In 2001 our white knight was Eastern European immigration, I can't see a white knight this time.

If you say "My property went up 40% then dropped 27%" I think most of them will think you are still 13% up ;).

I think (or would hope that) most people grasp that if your house increased in value by 100% and then decreased by 50%, or doubled and then halved in value, you are pretty much back to where you started.

Sentiment seems to be changing very quickly from

"The longer you wait to buy - the more you'll pay"

to

"The longer you wait to sell - the less you'll get"

I think (or would hope that) most people grasp that if your house increased in value by 100% and then decreased by 50%, or doubled and then halved in value, you are pretty much back to where you started.

I think you might be giving the majority of people's maths skills too much credit! They see two different percentages, they think they represent two different numerical values.

Marketeers have been making use of this rule of thumb for years! ;)

Definition of Blowoff taken from

"A term in technical analysis that refers to a sharp price increase that comes after a long period of price appreciation, and is followed by a fall in the price. A blowoff is seen as a rally's last breath and is a highly bearish sign. Notes:
This large and dramatic price movement is generally seen at the peak of a market or stock. The idea behind the bearishness of a blowoff is that it signals the activity of the most irrational and overly exuberant market participants, who, wanting to take part in the rally, momentarily push up the already-overvalued stock."

Is it possible that we saw the blowoff in the Irish housing market early in 2006 or is it too early to say yet?

Is it possible that we saw the blowoff in the Irish housing market early in 2006 or is it too early to say yet?

Too early to say for certain.

My fear is that the government could yet do something stupid that extends the bubble, thereby enhancing the pain of undoing it.

I think you might be giving the majority of people's maths skills too much credit! They see two different percentages, they think they represent two different numerical values.

Marketeers have been making use of this rule of thumb for years! ;)
good post...
very important but basic point when looking at % swings....

if a house starts at say 100000 and rises by X% for a few years only to drop in value by X% again, you are back worse than you started, the amount of difference depends on the X%....

10% rises to 110000 falls to 99,000 a net fall of 1%
20% rises to 120000 falls to 96,000 a net fall of 4%
30% rises to 130000 falls to 91,000 a net fall of 9%
40% rises to 140000 falls to 84,000 a net fall of 16%
50% rises to 150000 falls to 75,000 a net fall of 25%

im not saying that because prices have increased by whatever % in the last couple of years, they will fall by that amount, just that the % fall is always more money than the % increase and its natural when the figures are used in the same sentence to assume they mean the same amount....

Too early to say for certain.

My fear is that the government could yet do something stupid that extends the bubble, thereby enhancing the pain of undoing it.

They more than likely will - what if the reduce income tax but leave stamp duty in place (they have said that they will leave stamp duty in place anyway). This would increase people's affordibility again - negating interest rate rise, boost the marget again and they will get the revenue lost on income tax back in stamp duty. Very simplified I know, but I wouldn't be surprised if they do something like that, it is going to be a give away budget after all!

I'd say the government want to get over the finishing line that is the election next year, they may focus on cutting taxes and other incentives in the budget without realising the severity of the reverse in the housing market.

They more than likely will - what if the reduce income tax but leave stamp duty in place (they have said that they will leave stamp duty in place anyway). This would increase people's affordibility again - negating interest rate rise, boost the marget again and they will get the revenue lost on income tax back in stamp duty. Very simplified I know, but I wouldn't be surprised if they do something like that, it is going to be a give away budget after all!

I think this might be a real possibility but do people think that once the "prices only go up" spell is broken by all the bearish reports (and evidnce on the ground) that they can put the genie back in the bottle?

plaudit We'll all be experts on % falls soon enough.:p

In 2001 our white knight was Eastern European immigration, I can't see a white knight this time.

Government still has the stamp duty ace to play ...will only need to be used to prop up a plummeting housing market BEFORE the election. If the market stays relatively stable until after the election then it can swing in the wind ....

A couple of more price drops. Scroll down to the 3 bed category.

18 Bow Bridge, Kilmainham €525 to €475. €50K Drop!

206 The Tramyard, Inchicore €400 to €385

Old Prices:

New Prices:
[broken link removed]

Government still has the stamp duty ace to play ...will only need to be used to prop up a plummeting housing market BEFORE the election. If the market stays relatively stable until after the election then it can swing in the wind ....

A giveaway budget would nearly dig their own grave!! They may get back in government because of it but they will be in there to clean up their own mess!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back