Things that annoy you?

They should sack Ross, Brand and the producer. Then it is time to draw a line under the whole sorry affair.

The idea of Pat Kenny being involved in a similar situation makes me laugh really.:).. I don't think they should get away with it but there are other news stories like the earthquake in Pakistan for instance.....

I was just wondering to myself would this be an easy way of getting Ross of his huge pay deal or is he worth too much to them to let him go? Sorry to drag on the saga further.

Re: Ministerial hypocrisy

Hypocrisy - I know of someone who works in a ministers office. This Minister has been on the TV a lot recently explaining about how we need to get real and the cuts are necessary. The same guy had a secretary book Chapter 1 for lunch last week, his daughter arrived and they got the ministerial car over to Chapter 1 had lunch and then he threw the docket to a secretary to be expensed as a "business lunch". €200 well spent when the country is on it's knees - I've just heard him say "we cannot afford to row back on these decisions, we are borrowing €9 million per day at present". Sickening...........

Roy

well it is Fianna Fail we're talking about! the was also one last year where a minister returned his government car cause there wasn't enough boot space for his golf clubs also springs to mind! think the offending car was a lexus and cant remember who the minister was

Things that annoy me ! !

Hmmm.

Where do I begin!!!

1. Abuse of power
Im not a Fianna Fail'er but I think the only reason that its obvious to us all that they take advantage of the perks is because they have been in power a longer time. Sounds simple but who thinks any other political party would have their sheets as white as white were they not in the same position.

Presumptuous? Yes, but take a look at Western Civilisation and the ideals its built around. Man will take what he can and do whatever he can get away with.

2. Banks
Think it speaks for itself

3. Balance of power
Money = Power, simple as, we live in a world where you can do whatever you want if you have enough money. More disgustingly it encourages and rewards the people who are most greedy , normally at the expense of the hard working individuals who end up footing the bill.

4. Lies
I dont mind people in power making mistakes as much as when they lie to cover up their own shortcomings. Particularly when they are glaringly obvious for all to see, but as a PR stunt we are all assumed to be completely stupid or ignorant to whats actually happening.

5. Accountability
Ah, after abuse of power and lies comes accountability. One of the most important aspects of finding out why something bad happens, but usually the one thats least practised in our "free world".

There are plenty more things that annoy me but just thought I would post my current "most annoying" things of the week . . .

The Annual Cork Hurlers Strike Threat is on again. This has no place in an amateur sport!!

Also Privilage Days (which I've just heard of this morning from another thread).

Also Privilage Days (which I've just heard of this morning from another thread).

Yeah, thought that was a good one alright.

Can be added then to the permitted 'sick days' which themselves often seem to be simply added to the annual holiday allowance as if it's the most normal thing in the world.

"Privilege days" are basically additional annual leave - they're quite anachronistic, because civil service lore has it that they were there to allow civil servants from "down the country" to travel back from their Christmas and Easter holidays. Alternative versions have it that it was to save on the cost of having the boilers on sometime back in the thirties.

There are two per year.

Those who want to whinge about them no doubt will - but I'm guessing at least some of those who do so will, like my private-sector employed OH, have offices which shut down completely between Christmas and New Year without denting their leave entitlements.

But yes, uncertified sick leave being taken as though it's some sort of additional annual leave disgusts me. In over ten years, I've used three uncertified sick days (and yes, I was sick on each occasion); I've had colleagues - very few, but two spring to mind - who very carefully used their "sick days" to augment annual leave. I think the extent of such abuse is probably substantially overstated, though it's unacceptable where it does happen. And a potential disciplinary offence, too.

Last edited:
"Privilege days" are basically additional annual leave - they're quite anachronistic, because civil service lore has it that they were there to allow civil servants from "down the country" to travel back from their Christmas and Easter holidays. Alternative versions have it that it was to save on the cost of having the boilers on sometime back in the thirties.

There are two per year.

Those who want to hinge about them no doubt will - but I'm guessing at least some of those who do so will, like my private-sector employed OH, have offices which shut down completely between Christmas and New Year without denting their leave entitlements.

But yes, uncertified sick leave being taken as though it's some sort of additional annual leave disgusts me. In over ten years, I've used three uncertified sick days (and yes, I was sick on each occasion); I've had colleagues - very few, but two spring to mind - who very carefully used their "sick days" to augment annual leave. I think the extent of such abuse is probably substantially overstated, though it's unacceptable where it does happen. And a potential disciplinary offence, too.

i've never worked for or heard of a company in the private sector which shuts down over the Christmas holidays and does not deduct this from its staff's annual leave.
My company shuts down over Christmas and we have to take an agreed number of days from our annual leave to cover this.

i've never worked for or heard of a company in the private sector which shuts down over the Christmas holidays and does not deduct this from its staff's annual leave.
My company shuts down over Christmas and we have to take an agreed number of days from our annual leave to cover this.

I'm very lucky. I work in the Private sector and we close for two weeks essentially (I might pop in and check on post/emails/whatever but nothing that would take any real length of time). I work in a property related area and it turns into silly season at this time of year - doesn't seem worth it to be in the office given that nobody else seems to be in theirs (typical example - Solicitors, builders, architects)!
We don't have any set number of holidays as such but I would also take two weeks in the summer, a week at some other time such as Spring and a few days here and there (for graduations, weddings, long weekends,etc.)

Hypocrisy - I know of someone who works in a ministers office. This Minister has been on the TV a lot recently explaining about how we need to get real and the cuts are necessary. The same guy had a secretary book Chapter 1 for lunch last week, his daughter arrived and they got the ministerial car over to Chapter 1 had lunch and then he threw the docket to a secretary to be expensed as a "business lunch". €200 well spent when the country is on it's knees - I've just heard him say "we cannot afford to row back on these decisions, we are borrowing €9 million per day at present". Sickening...........

I don't think anyone is too surprised. Sure is it not taxpayers money hard at work! Sure, we'll have Complainer telling us that the same goes on in the Private Sector.

Well minister that is my money, I paid it over in my taxes. Your quick lunch is a weeks pension for someone better deserving than your offspring.
I certainly had many, many more free lunches in my time in the private sector than I've had in the public sector. Never quite made it to Chapter One, but I had a few nice ones in my time.

But of course, the actions attributed to the Minister above are totally reprehensible. OneKeano should be sending details of this to the newspapers, and the C&AG, and the head of finance of the relevant government dept.

I certainly had many, many more free lunches in my time in the private sector than I've had in the public sector. Never quite made it to Chapter One, but I had a few nice ones in my time.

But of course, the actions attributed to the Minister above are totally reprehensible. OneKeano should be sending details of this to the newspapers, and the C&AG, and the head of finance of the relevant government dept.
I do quite a bit of work with Enterprise Ireland and you would be amazed by the stories I have heard about ministers, opposition TD's and senior civil servants looking for invites to countries all over the world for what was nothing more than a free lunch.

Yes, but by your own admission you worked for a what I assume to be a large multinational, selling over priced lotions and potions to women and top politicians. This is not the average Irish home grown Private Sector with less than 10 employees.

Roy

What do ye expect when our Taoseach ( not including our President ) pays himself more than the leaders of the US, UK, France or Germany ....all much much larger, industrialised countries. I remember many years ago ( in the 80's) a ( foreign born + raised ) manager in a multinational here telling me our country reminded him ( and the other management ) of a third world country in so many ways ( eg corruption ). I was shocked at the time, but he was right.

Checkout operators in Northern Ireland who automatically assume you will be paying in Euro. :mad:

the puppy barking in apt next door. can hear him through the closed doors with the telly on - coming up to 2hrs non-stop.... :(

Yes, but by your own admission you worked for a what I assume to be a large multinational, selling over priced lotions and potions to women and top politicians. This is not the average Irish home grown Private Sector with less than 10 employees.

I didn't realise that mentioned some details of one of my many former employers was considered an 'admission'. Can I expect a summons to follow my admission? Will I get away with a fine, or would you expect a short prison sentence.

As it happens, I've worked for a range of large and small companies, in both public and private sectors.

I do quite a bit of work with Enterprise Ireland and you would be amazed by the stories I have heard about ministers, opposition TD's and senior civil servants looking for invites to countries all over the world for what was nothing more than a free lunch.

I honestly find it hard to think that Ministers et al are blagging overseas trips. Regardless of the hospitality available, I'd have thought that overseas business trips are generally a PITA, particularly for anyone with family commitments. I'm sure the ministers will tell you that this important work in marketing Ireland abroad is what keeps all that FDI coming in. I read a comment from Steve Ballmer where he indicated that (as a sales guy), the Irish govt was the first govt he encountered that were actually selling aggressivly to him. One man's meat ........

Back