Things that annoy you?

Baloney about people being over 70 being entitled to and medical card regardless of income. Come on , does someone with a good pension and assets deserve this ? And don't tell me they don't use it if they have it . I know of millionaires who are using the medical card. People with money are often much meaner than those who never had it. Could we have some rational debate for once!

Generalisations about the public service. I totally agree with reform and feel that lack of it is actually very unfair on diligent people in the public service. I felt that the government of the day missed a great opportunity to tackle absenteeism and ineptitude when benchmarking was proposed. However, I am sick to death of generalisations. Blame the employer for failing to manage it, stop blaming ALL the employees.

The rubbish about the Celtic Tiger, and the boasting that went with it. We alienated half Europe and then we vote No. We're an ungovernable lot!!

RTE.........and their take on Obama, talk about partisan, but they've plenty of practise as they were very good at playing the Irish Republican card.
RTE..............Tell, Kenny, Finucane, Tubridy, Ryan and Duffy that times are hard and we can no longer afford them. Go on take a chance, bet there's no one out there going to offer them those salaries. Negotiate salaries more in keeping with the size of their audience.
End of present rant!!!!

very good

Joggers who jog on the road. Currently happening again after a 6 month hiatus. Just waiting for the dark evenings to jog on the road again were ye ? And when I have to pay my road tax so you can ignore the perfectly good footpath beside you I think you are more than deserving of whatever injuries you get from avoiding busy rush hour traffic.

Cyclists who have all the get up of Lance Armstrong (at least drivers can generally see you from 500 metres) and all the road sense of a drunk on the way home from an evenings merriment. Sure, cycle along 2 abreast on the main carrigeway ignoring the perfectly good hard shoulder and puff yourself up a slight incline at 5 mph holding up traffic....geniuses.

HGV drivers who seem to have removed the limiters from their machines and barrel along at 60-70 mph with tonnes of a load.... Do the words 'momentum' and 'braking distances' mean anything to you ?

The inevitable 'clampdown' on drink driving we'll see coming up to christmas. In 13 years of driving, I've been breathalysed ONCE. Full pub carparks are happily ignored and roadblocks are placed randomly miles away.

Re: Believe it or not, internet exists outside Dublin :)

micmlo
The reason I didn't specify it was Dublin was because I said, quite clearly, in the first sentence, that my father had gone into 'town' to join the pensioners' protest. This took place in Dublin and was headlines on all the news. Therefore, it was quite reasonable to assume that people would know I was talking about Dublin.

Eh, that's not me but if you were referring to my post, I did agree with you a few posts later.

You obviously missed that.
And then I gave better examples then your post. You missed that too

And when I have to pay my road tax so you can ignore the perfectly good footpath beside you I think you are more than deserving of whatever injuries you get from avoiding busy rush hour traffic.
People who pay motor tax but call it road tax. Any taxes paid can go to maintaining roads. The VAT of my bike could have used for roads. Fair point on the safety issue though

Sure, cycle along 2 abreast on the main carrigeway ignoring the perfectly good hard shoulder and puff yourself up a slight incline at 5 mph holding up traffic....geniuses.

The reason they cycle two abrest is

1. If they were single file, drivers would squeeze past them where it wasn't safe. Brushing their sleeve is a term used.
  2. It's not their job to get out of the way, it's the drivers job to overtake them safetly. This forces drivers to do it and cycling clubs get members to do this when out on spins

Should stay on the hard shoulder though, I agree with you there.

People who quite literally attempt to drag you up for a dance at a party, then call you a bore when you insist you'd rather not thanks!

Camcorder owners who feel compelled to film everything.

Housework at the weekend.

People who take up 2 car parking spaces.

When looking at something in a shop, people who come and stand over you to look at the same thing ( though you can turn this into a game to see how often it happens in each shop!)

And when I have to pay my road tax so you can ignore the perfectly good footpath beside you I think you are more than deserving of whatever injuries you get from avoiding busy rush hour traffic.
Actually, you pay motor tax, not road tax. And the odds are that the jogger is paying the same tax too. It's not a tax issue.

People who pay motor tax but call it road tax. Any taxes paid can go to maintaining roads.
Meh...tomato tomato. Being pedantic doesn't add anything.

Actually, you pay motor tax, not road tax. And the odds are that the jogger is paying the same tax too. It's not a tax issue.
See above about being pedantic. And actually it is partially a tax issue. If they pay motor tax, that's to allow them to drive their 'motor' on the road....not to jog along it. Jaywalking is worthy of a fine, so is that. The issue is safety and the person who would be blamed if they were struck by a car....the driver.

When was the last time you saw a tax disc on a bicycle?
exactly, or a jogger. What is a persons registration number? Their dna sequence ?

See above about being pedantic. And actually it is partially a tax issue. If they pay motor tax, that's to allow them to drive their 'motor' on the road....not to jog along it. Jaywalking is worthy of a fine, so is that. The issue is safety and the person who would be blamed if they were struck by a car....the driver.

The reason for the pedantic approach was to highlight the flawed thinking (which you have just repeated). They don't pay motor tax "to allow them to drive their 'motor' along the road". They pay motor tax because the Govt chooses to collect revenue via motor tax. Paying the tax does not confer any rights or allow them to do anything. It just means they paid their motor tax.

Jaywalking is indeed illegal and is indeed not very safe. I'm not condoning jaywalking. I'm just pointing out that this is not in any way related to taxation.

They don't pay motor tax "to allow them to drive their 'motor' along the road".

Ehm, I beg to differ. That's exactly why everyone pays motor tax. If you don't pay it, then you are not allowed to drive on the road. If I pay a licence to enable me to drive my car on the road (regardless of what that money is then spent on by the govt), I expect not to have to avoid lemmings dressed up as joggers or Tour de France wannabees.

1. If they were single file, drivers would squeeze past them where it wasn't safe. Brushing their sleeve is a term used.
  2. It's not their job to get out of the way, it's the drivers job to overtake them safetly. This forces drivers to do it and cycling clubs get members to do this when out on spins
So cycling clubs encourage members to act in an ignorant selfish way because some drivers behave badly? They should grow up. People have overtaken me in my car in a dangerous manner on more than one occasion but I don't therefore go out to obstruct traffic deliberately because of it.

Such ignorance causes road rage.

I do cycle also, but I would never be so selfish as to cycle two abreast except where there is a sufficiently wide road to do so.

The woman on the plane back from Portugal who leisurely drank three bottles of wine while allowing her child to scream all the way home and then proceeded to change a very dirty nappy on the seat beside her! - That annoyed me!

Ehm, I beg to differ. That's exactly why everyone pays motor tax. If you don't pay it, then you are not allowed to drive on the road. If I pay a licence to enable me to drive my car on the road (regardless of what that money is then spent on by the govt), I expect not to have to avoid lemmings dressed up as joggers or Tour de France wannabees.
You were doing well there until you moved onto your expectations. I think you need your own private country estate, where you can make the rules. When you go on public roads, expect to share with cyclists (about 60% of whom also pay motor tax) and others.

So cycling clubs encourage members to act in an ignorant selfish way because some drivers behave badly? They should grow up. People have overtaken me in my car in a dangerous manner on more than one occasion but I don't therefore go out to obstruct traffic deliberately because of it.

Such ignorance causes road rage.

I do cycle also, but I would never be so selfish as to cycle two abreast except where there is a sufficiently wide road to do so.

Most roads have plenty of space for two cyclists. The problem arises with the cars. It's not a matter of getting revenge on drivers. It is a simple defensive tactic to protect one's own safety. I always cycle more than a car-door width out from parked cars. I'm not doing it to slow down cars. I'm doing it to accomodate the drivers who regularly open their doors without checking.
Come on complainer, that was quite mean spirited in fairness!

Maybe it was. Maybe they just ran out (as happened to me one year). The thought of parents measuring out what goodies came from what house is far more of a concern to me.

Maybe it was. Maybe they just ran out (as happened to me one year). The thought of parents measuring out what goodies came from what house is far more of a concern to me.

You know I doublt the pervious poster was "measuring" as you say, just pointing out that a person who give a kid 2 cola bottle sweets wrapped in toilet paper is a little scabby. I dare say if the person in question said sorry I have run out of sweets the child and parent would not have minded in the slightest. Just seems that 2 swweets wrapped in toilet role smacks of preplanned scabbyness.

You know I doublt the pervious poster was "measuring" as you say, just pointing out that a person who give a kid 2 cola bottle sweets wrapped in toilet paper is a little scabby. I dare say if the person in question said sorry I have run out of sweets the child and parent would not have minded in the slightest. Just seems that 2 swweets wrapped in toilet role smacks of preplanned scabbyness.
How could the parent know what sweets came from what house without measuring these out?

Joggers who jog on the road. Currently happening again after a 6 month hiatus. Just waiting for the dark evenings to jog on the road again were ye ? And when I have to pay my road tax so you can ignore the perfectly good footpath beside you I think you are more than deserving of whatever injuries you get from avoiding busy rush hour traffic

I came across my first ever Jogger-on-the-road yesterday, on a very busy road he was running about 3 feet away from the kerb coming towards me, running alongside a perfectly good 6 foot wide path, I gestured to him to move on to the path and when I looked into my rear view mirror he had given me the finger. Next time pal, I won't be as polite and might not see you, if you get my drift !!!;) Run on the path, if there was no path it's a different matter.:mad:

Back