The Lisbon vote

Arent we getting off the topic a bit.....some of it my fault.

Looks like Lisbon is dead and buried. Anyone think that the EU elites will take any notice? Thats 3 referenda failures on essentially the same issues (2 countries rejected it when it was the "EU Constitution")

No 54%, Yes 46%

... which is about 22% of the electorate deciding for 500 million
... damn those minorities and the 55% who didn't bother to vote ... ;)

Arent we getting off the topic a bit.....some of it my fault.

Looks like Lisbon is dead and buried. Anyone think that the EU elites will take any notice? Thats 3 referenda failures on essentially the same issues (2 countries rejected it when it was the "EU Constitution")

No they wont beccause they know better than religious troles from ireland who voted no because of thier fear of abortion and because they are irrational drunckards.

Is there any website showing the actual results in each constituency i.e. the number of votes cast for/against? Most of the news sites I've looked at seem to have just textual reports giving rough percentages for some constituencues.

Brian Cowen said there was no more important task in front of him than getting the Treaty passed - and he has given huge attention to this over the last month or so. I am concerned that political attention will remain on this area now at a time when the government should be more focused on the mounting problems in the economy.

I'm beginning to think that Cowen is another Gordan Brown. The electorate just arent taking to him.

Of course, if they hadn't fcuked-up with the electronic voting machines they could have had the referendum rigged for a yes vote ;)

Interesting reading the media sites in various countries like France and Italy and seeing the comments. To be honest it looks like the only disappointed people are the politicians.

If they weighted the votes by the amount of tax that people pay, would the Yes vote have won? :)

If they weighted the votes by the amount of tax that people pay, would the Yes vote have won? :)

They used to have a system like that in the North. It was not popular with some.
Personally I'm a democrat and don't see a link between what people earn and their value as people.

I agree with you there, he is just not Bertie
I doubt this vote has anything to do with Cowen, though. That's just going by the interviews on the radio with people who were voting No, and from chatting with friends and colleagues at work.
It is more to do with the basic arguement - what was to gain by voting yes? There were mistakes made on the YES side - particularly the tactics of fear rather than convincing people of the merits of a yes vote.
The fact that the French minister came out saying Ireland would be a loser if they voted NO was particularly idiotic, considering his country already voted NO to this not too long ago, and he'd hardly accept that the French have suffered negative consequences.
It will be interesting to see how this turns out.

Comments from other European Countries suggest that they are going ahead with their individual ratification processes even though Lisbon cannot continue without our ratification.

I'm wondering if they are thinking that this will be like the Nice Treaty - just wait a few months and the Irish will have another referendum and vote Yes. So it looks like the Nice debacle has damaged the impact of an Irish No vote and the credibility of the Irish electorate. And I've no doubt that our leaders, instead of respecting the will of the Irish people will be pendling the view around the EU that this vote is a temporary set back and we'll vote Yes in a few months time. No voters will need to stand firm next time round if they want to send a message to the EU.

Back