The Lisbon vote

Like I said the approach to the referendum by the Yes side, again in particular by the government, appeared high-handed and ill-judged,off-putting for many, distinctly offensive to some. The No campaign was fervent and evocative, if wide-ranging and particularly silly in some instances. The vote was there for the taking, the campaign determines who takes it, particularly with a large floating vote.

Very good point.

I was thinking of complaining about the order of the options. Sort order should have been alphabetical, with Níl/No first.

Why, because it will influence people to vote Yes because Yes was the first option? Surely No at the bottom is more preferable because its closer to your hand? :D

... well its all done now & I guess that means we are totally screwed... irrespective of the outcome!

There are 2 kinds of people in this world, those who are prepared to get up and give something back to their community and those who sit behind closed doors, never giving anything back and just take take take. Lisbon is asking us to give a little back, it's the right, proper and decent thing to do. I'm proud I voted Yes

How on earth can you, as a Yes voter, smugly dismiss hundreds of thousands of people as "those who sit behind closed doors, never giving anything back and just take take take", simply on the basis that you disagree with them on this issue?

Your comment would be outrageous and libellous if directed at a single individual. It is ridiculous when directed at a third to a half or more of our electorate. The notion that one sector in society are morally superior to another on the basis of their opinion on a particular political issue is absurd.

Anyone any news on tallys from counting stations? Early predictions and tallys seem to suggest No vote by early 50s to late 40s in percentage terms.

Looks like a No vote. We can resurrect this thread in two months when we're asked to vote on this again.

I see that most rural constituencies are showing a No vote. If the IFA didn't deliver the yes votes they promised in return for the veto on the WTO negotiations, this could backfire on them!

Its been called a "Constitution" and when that was rejected, they changed the name to "Treaty". What will the next name change be? My bet is on "Lisbon Agreement".

Were the Yes people scaremongering after all? We are now set for Bertie's "disaster" but the stockmarket is quite unfazed now that it is going to be a No. I hope Bertie was wrong and the stockmarket is right.

Ok great solution. kick out the chineese. and force irish people into working in spar shops for 8 E and hour. And then ask them all to buy VHI at 2000E for thier families.

Good sencible economic solution that

WTF? Where did I say "kick out the Chinese"? I was just correcting the wildly inaccurate figure of the number of Chinese nationals residing in Ireland.

Back