Lusk Village/McGarrell Reilly

Status
Not open for further replies.
NTL and chorus are not available in Lusk. If you want anything more than the basic channels, it's sky, broadworks, or set up your own dish to get free to air satellite.

Hi Seagull,
I have been living in a 4 bed detached house in Lusk Village for over 2 years. I’d just like to comment on the type of construction used as it is not actually “typical bricks and mortar”.

The majority of masonry houses have external walls built using cavity wall construction. This is not the case with houses in Lusk Village. Cavity wall construction consists of a separate inner and outer block leaf 100mm thick with a 100mm cavity between them filled with insulation. The houses in Lusk are built using a single wall constructed of a cavity block which is rendered externally and has a plasterboard finish internally. Houses with a brick finish have brickwork built directly against the cavity block wall. Insulation is placed between the plasterboard and the cavity block wall (I hope).

Common sense would tell you that cavity wall construction with a separate inner and outer wall leaf is far superior to the cavity block system with regard to insulation, heat retention and resisting weather. The advantage to the builder is that he only had to build a single block leaf instead of 2 block leaves which saves him time and money.

I’ve found that during the winter the house is hard to heat and does not retain heat well. I’ve had to change all the wall vents to ones which can be closed (I know this is illegal with a gas fire!). Also I’ve noticed a lot of draughts especially through electrical sockets downstairs – you can feel it when you place a hand over them.

I think this maybe an issue in the coming years when energy ratings are enforced and the houses in Lusk Village could be at a disadvantage in this respect.

That's very interesting!
You've obviously been getting in there checking up on the builders.
Does the build then affect the durability of these houses? How do you find living in the 4 bed detached? (there's one left at 465k)

Hi Sunster,
No it doesn't effect the durability. It has been acceptable in the past, but I think it is going to be phased out soon from the building regulations. It is just that the cavity wall construction is a better system. That's not to say the life span of the house will be any different for the Lusk houses- just a better performance with regard to insulation and being draught/weather proof. It's just that construction methods are evolving all the time.

Lots of people are buying older houses from 1950's and before which wouldn't have anywhere the same construction standards as now and they're still performing satisfactorarily,probably just costing more to heat. So I wouldn't let it worry you unduly.

I'm very happy with 4 bed detached. I had a deposit on the 3 bed with car port but changed over to the 4 bed and have't regretted it. They were €320K then. I put a deposit down in April '04 and had moved in by the following September. Best of luck!

Hi all, just to let you know NTL is available in Lusk Village via their MMDS system ([broken link removed]), you may have noticed the meshy type satellite dishes around the place!

Good news about NTL. Presume that means their Broadband service will be available aswell?

LaserLips said:
Hi all, just to let you know NTL is available in Lusk Village via their MMDS system ([broken link removed]), you may have noticed the meshy type satellite dishes around the place!

Any idea of the cost of the basic MMDS package?

Crikey...that's not too good. What's going on in their side (assuming you're all set)? Could this be the same with others waiting to gt into lusk village?

I think there were 6 of us in total affected by this. I heard from the foreman that 3 have taken the undertaking and have closed as a result.

We are currently not under any major pressure to close as the short term accomodation we're in is available to us for another month or two are very low rent. But as you can imagine at this stage we'd just like to close the deal and get on with it. We're already 3 months late.
I just think it's total incompetence on the builders side that this could not have been arranged 6 months ago!
Very frustrating!!!!

When our solicitor contacts theirs all they say is that the receipt is on the way. No real timeframes given. If there's no update today, I'm going to ask our guy to get it in writing what exactly the problem is and how long it's likely to be before we can close.

I wouldnt let it out you off buying in LV. Might be just an isolated incident etc. Lucky us!

What do you think the builders were doing while you were waiting to close? Seems odd with the houses complete and ready to move into, that you simply can just arrange to get the money transferred and get the keys!

The foreman has said it'll be 2-3 weeks before it's all sorted out. Not very forthcoming on an explanation as to why there's a delay. Said something about paperwork and the council.

Anyway, looks like we're not moving for a while yet.

You would have thought all paper work required would have been sorted as they were building the houses! As you say, maybe you are unlucky and this is an isolated case.
I've put a deposit down and am awaiting signing contracts. Hopefully we can close quickly afterwards!

Chin up Dunner! My solicitor is so slow I wouldn't hold my breath. Good luck and let us know your progress. I'd say best keep annoying the foreman and the solicitors to push them a bit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back