Lucan?

Well the poster only asked for opinions on Lucan.They did not ask for alternatives.
However in the area, as others have said Maynooth is better. Indeed given its close proximity to Liffey Valley maybe Ballyfermot is a better choice.
Personally I would recommend going as close to town as their budget allowed. As the market is falling at present I may not buy atall but rent for a while and decide themselves after a while living in Dublin.

Nodser, I'm living in Lucan the last 12 years, originally from Ballyfermot and currently rent property in Ballyfermot. Although Ballyfermot has some great people living there, I wouldn't like to bring up my children there. Similarly for Inchicore, Rialto etc. The closer you get to town, the less safe it is and harder for children to play outside etc.

You mention Maynooth, well Carlow is a fantastic town, and so is Kilkenny, but I think the OP was looking for a house in West Dublin, if not Lucan.

For all concerned about traffic to city centre. I left my house at exactly 8.05 this morning by car, the major traffic we hit was heuston but I still got out of the car at jurys in the ifsc at 8.45am. I don't know why some people on here have such trouble believe this. I assure you I am not lying! I for one have certainly encountered much worse traffic in other areas of Dublin which for the most part have been closer to the city centre than lucan is.

Originally Posted by Blueberry08 http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?p=581771#post581771
I assume those who have claimed Lucan has no traffic problems never leave their homes at rush hour?

myself and my partern do this journey 5 days a week at rush hour in the morning and evening, either by car or bus. The bus is great cos we have a bus lane the whole way from lucan and I took the car this morning as mentioned above. I feel it is you who is giving the op and unrealistic view of lucan.

I can see how it can take some people an hour to get to the N4 roundabout from Lucan. I took a picture of this bozo this morning on the way in.

On a lighter note--Left newish lucan at 7.09 this morning. Was at the N4 roundabout at 7.21 (don't usually take this route but went up for a shuftys), Kilmainham roundabout at 7.27, up past kilmainham garda station and the back of Guinness's and was at St Stephens Green at 7.39. Journey took 30 minutes.
Not rush hour I know.

Hi, does anyone know what Ballyowen hall or Rossecourt Avenue are like? Would appreciate any help as am thinking to move there but not sure of the area!

I would think Ballyowen Hall is better located than Rosse Court. It is also a far smaller development.

Amazingly nobody has mentioned Leixlip (unless I've missed a post or two). Leixlip is 5 minutes away from Lucan and therefore all the amenities in Lucan such as parks, supermarkets etc are very close, but its big advantage is that it is on the Maynooth train line and you are guaranteed to get to Connolly Station in 35 minutes, regardless of the traffic. At peak times the trains are full and you don't get a seat, and there's not a lot of free parking near the two railway stations unless you're in early, but otherwise it's a great service. There are quite a few decent pubs, very good schools which are easy to get into (they actually bus people in from Lucan who can't get into the Lucan schools) and some nice restaurants. You can get a 3 bed house in one of the older estates (eg Riverforest) for 340-350k. There are no "bad" areas of Leixlip although I've heard the council estates can be a bit rough, but then I suppose that's the situation with council estates everywhere. It's worth a look.

Hi, does anyone know what Ballyowen hall or Rossecourt Avenue are like? Would appreciate any help as am thinking to move there but not sure of the area!

If my budget was circa €300k I would buy in Esker Manor. 10 minutes walk to the village. Beside Griffeen Valley Park. It will be beside the swimming pool (if it's ever built). If my sources are correct- the Luas will be passing your door also (announcement in early April).

Bubbly, I would agree with Jonnyhotspur, thats a nice apartment complex and I saw inside the apartments when they were being sold a couple of years ago and thought them very nice. Good value there at the moment. Directly across from Lucan sports club.

JulesandDave

Let me add something as someone who has moved to London with work in the last year from St Marys Parish in Lucan for 8 years.

One thing you will notice is that the people from Lucan are superly defensive of Lucan as we all are about what is fundemantally our"castle".

You have been honest with us saying your price bracket and lets face you get what you pay for. I lived in Esker for that period but if i could have would have lived in Ballinteer, Rathfarnam, Castleknock, Dundrum etc. so no matter what the likes of DeeDee says, its ok, its tolerable, but lets face it new Lucan would not exist if people could afford somewhere else as I said the price reflects this fact. And for your information I do think Finnstown is quite nice and a mate just purchased from a seller in need of a quick sale etc. for 345k including all elec goods etc. so perhaps rent in the area and see what ya think. Sangster made alot of sense in these posting but others with the chip who have got blue lights and sirens on there cars are living in fantasy world. Left for work at 7.20 every morning and arrived of Dawson Street at 8.45 or so.

Best of luck but please rent first, its not a bad place but 345k should be where you start from !

Hi Sigmund

I lived closed to ballinteer and tell you its not all that great! Prefer Lucan any day! As for Rathfarham, will take you just as long to get to Dawson St!!
Traffic has improved alot on the South side of Lucan by foxhunter now too, those delays are gone.

Traffic has improved greatly for us since the Outer Ring Road opened in 2006. I drive to St Stephens Green for work. We usually leave the house at about 7.10 am and the trip takes 35 minutes (go through Ballyfermot and Inchicore and then Pimlico). If we leave at 8am the same journey takes less than 50 minutes. The trip home averages about 50 minutes.
This time is from my house on Griffeen Avenue. I take umbridge at your reference of living in a fantasy world. I only give the facts honestly and have done so on this site for many years - well three. Except for the time I sent Clubman in search of a 'sky hook'

Sigmund,

I'm sure if Jules could afford to live in Balinteer where her family are from then she would buy there. She asked about Lucan, I gave my opinion of living here. There are parts of Lucan I would not live in but to get a house for 350 in Dublin its a good spot. I have no chip on my shoulder, just happy where I live. I really don't see what the point of your post is with regard to the op?

Sangster made alot of sense in these posting but others with the chip who have got blue lights and sirens on there cars are living in fantasy world.

What does that mean?

I personally would not spend 1 year living in a place that I found only tolerable, let alone 8.

Last edited:
Ok DeeDee

As i said it was not a personal thing, the blue lights thing was the fact that people must have been using emergency vehicles to do some of the times mentioned in getting to work.

8 years - because it was close to work (8 mins by car real time :)), I was away a hell of alot because I did not have a big mortgage and because i had a 4 bed detached house in comparison to a 2 bed somewhere else.

OK this could go on forever, final line from me ..... with what they had to spend i cant think of anywhere else in the city where you could buy a regular 3 bed semi for with the exception of Tallaght, Clonee, Tyrrelstown and perhaps Swords and of all them I would agree Lucan is fine but then again the competition is .................weak to say the least.

Ok DeeDee

As i said it was not a personal thing, the blue lights thing was the fact that people must have been using emergency vehicles to do some of the times mentioned in getting to work.

8 years - because it was close to work (8 mins by car real time :)), I was away a hell of alot because I did not have a big mortgage and because i had a 4 bed detached house in comparison to a 2 bed somewhere else.

OK this could go on forever, final line from me ..... with what they had to spend i cant think of anywhere else in the city where you could buy a regular 3 bed semi for with the exception of Tallaght, Clonee, Tyrrelstown and perhaps Swords and of all them I would agree Lucan is fine but then again the competition is .................weak to say the least.

Thanks Sigmund for the response, you have summed up the point I have tried to make all along. For the price you pay in Lucan you get a nice house in a nice safe area. The houses are affordable and so while still living in Dublin myself and my fiance can afford to decorate the way we want, have a couple of holidays a year, save for our wedding etc, that to me makes for a better quality of life overall. We could have bought a dearer house but I would rather still have a social life in my twenties. Maybe I'm lucky in that I find the traffic no worse than anywhere else I live and the bus service is very good. So of course there are nicer more expensive places in Dublin to live, no one is disputing that, but with regard to the op's original query regarding needing a good bus service, local schools, little anti social behaviour and on a budget of 350, Lucan is a good choice.

Thanks Sigmund for the response, you have summed up the point I have tried to make all along. For the price you pay in Lucan you get a nice house in a nice safe area. The houses are affordable and so while still living in Dublin myself and my fiance can afford to decorate the way we want, have a couple of holidays a year, save for our wedding etc, that to me makes for a better quality of life overall. We could have bought a dearer house but I would rather still have a social life in my twenties. Maybe I'm lucky in that I find the traffic no worse than anywhere else I live and the bus service is very good. So of course there are nicer more expensive places in Dublin to live, no one is disputing that, but with regard to the op's original query regarding needing a good bus service, local schools, little anti social behaviour and on a budget of 350, Lucan is a good choice.

At last, someone saying something that makes sense from my experience.

I don't understant why some posters are having digs at so called "defensive" Lucan people who have "chips" on their shoulder. I don't get that, people are giving their opinions and those who don't agree come out with this kind of thing. From what I can see its these people who are just trying to provoke some kind of arguement.

Well put DeeDee ..............glad your living the life and not the bricks and mortar that others are.

Sorry Johnny .....well spotted ......i worked in a sub office mainly but did have to go in once a week or so for meetings into South William Street hence my knowledge base ......

But at this stage I think the question has summed up nicely ... Lucan is grand

Back