Lucan?

Julesanddave

Hi there

We have just had sale agreed on our house in Essex. ( we had 2 offers of the asking price in the first week!)

We are hoping to move back to Ireland in the next 4/5 months. We were orginally looking at Clonee but have since decided Lucan seems a bit nicer.

My husband will be working in town so will need to have a good bus service or Maybe we could buy near the adamstown end?

We also have a young son who will be starting school in the next few years.

Our Budget is €350000 and we would hopefully be looking for a 3 bed.

We will be flying to Dublin at the end of March to have a look, but was just wondering what people thought of lucan in general..

Many thanks

Jules

Hi Jules,

I think its a good call on Lucan.

I live in Finnstown Abbey which is about 6 minutes walk from the Superquinn Shopping center which is a further couple of minutes walk to the N4. I've 3 young children.

We've got everything you could need within walking distance.

St Thomas's School (Junior primary school 4yrs to 8yrs)is excellant. From this school the children transfer into Scoil Mhuire(Senior Primary school 8yrs to 12yrs). The children then transfer to the Community College which is a secondary school(12yrs to 17yrs). I'm not sure how good the secondary school is as my children are a few years away from that.

All the above schools are opposite Superquinn so again a couple of minutes walk away.

You have a fantastic brand new astroturf hockey pitch and running track between the schools and Finnstown Abbey ie 2 minutes walk. You also have local soccer pitchs and soccer clubs as well as Lucan Sarsfields GAA Club(hurling and football). All of the above would cater for young children.

There a plenty of green spaces and parks within walking distance.

Lucan Village is 12 to 15 minutes walk. A beuatiful (smallish)village. Theres about 3 or 4 different churchs in the village (CoI, Methodist, etc.). The catholic church is opposite Superquinn.

Liffey Valley Shopping Centre (Carbon copy of the large shopping centres you would have in the UK) is about 6 minutes drive.

Traffic from Lucan to the City Centre is a bit of an issue, however the M50/N4 is being upgraded at the moment. A LUAS (light rail system) will be coming to Lucan by 2113. There is a new railway station about 1.5 miles at Adamstown however it will be some time before trains will become frequent.

At the moment you might pick up a house for €350K in Finnstown Abbey, but I think €365plus may be closer to the mark. Finnstown priory and Finnstown Cloisters tend to be a little cheaper as they are further away from the areas mentioned above and they don't seem to have the same community feel as Finnstown Abbey.(Theres a much higher proportion of tenanted properties in these estates).

If you can find distressed sellers then of course you can always pick up a bargain.

One thing I would mention to you about the areas around the Superquinn area. The Railment Procurement Agency will be announcing the route for the Lucan Luas in March and it looks like it will be starting(or at least running through) at the sports grounds I mentioned above. Even though property prices are declining or at least steady, I can't believe that there wouldn't be some competition to purchase houses in the area when the RPA annouces its route for the LUAS.

I think it's a great area and I wouldn't want to move anywhere else, although our 3 bed is a little small for us now.

Any specific questions send me a PM.

I missed your note on buses.

The 25A is just outside Finnstown Abbey. I think it takes about 45 minutes to get to the City Centre. There is also an express bus 25X which wouild be quicker again.

Lucan is too built up....

If I was choosing in that area, I would opt for Maynooth. It has the option of bus & rail and has a nicer village than Lucan. Lucan village is a dot with a million houses on one side of it. Maynooth has a Tesco & Lidl also.

ps good call on giving Clonee a wide berth

Lucan is too built up....

If I was choosing in that area, I would opt for Maynooth. It has the option of bus & rail and has a nicer village than Lucan. Lucan village is a dot with a million houses on one side of it. Maynooth has a Tesco & Lidl also.

ps good call on giving Clonee a wide berth

Lucan may be built up, but where isn't nowadays? It also has a Tesco, Lidl, Superquinn, Eurospar, Woodies, Public Library, Liffey Valley Shopping Centre, soccer, GAA, Hockey, Athletics etc, etc.

Given that house prices have fallen in the past year and they seem set to continue falling, perhaps it would be best if you rented for a couple of months, before deciding on where to buy.

Murt

Lucan may be built up but where isn't, the last time I was in Maynooth I saw a lot of new developments being built, its happening everywhere.

I personally love living in Lucan, I moved here last July so if you have any queries re estates etc please feel free to pm me. I lived in Clonee for a year and hated it (my own personal opinion). I am from Templeogue originally but I really love Lucan, plenty of ammenities, I find the public transport excellent and I have a lovely big house in a great estate with brilliant neighbours.

I'm not going to recommend any specific areas, but as a general rule, since your husband is working in town, you should get as close to the city centre as you can reasonably afford or be on a frequent rail link. Traffic in Dublin is a lot worse than London - it is not practical to drive into the city centre for most people and the main roads leading into the city and around its perimeter are a write off at rush hour.

If buying in a new development where the developer says "will be a rail link here soon", remember that in Ireland, most of these projects are severely delayed and "soon" could mean 10 years time or never.

csirlRe: Lucan?
I'm not going to recommend any specific areas, but as a general rule, since your husband is working in town, you should get as close to the city centre as you can reasonably afford or be on a frequent rail link. Traffic in Dublin is a lot worse than London - it is not practical to drive into the city centre for most people and the main roads leading into the city and around its perimeter are a write off at rush hour

It would be no harm to name specific areas if you know of some that would suit the OP. She has 350,000 to spend, has a 1 year old so it would appear ideally would like a house in Dublin, close to good schools and from where her husband can commute to the city centre. Personally I think Lucan is a good choice considering that criteria. However if other areas can be recommended I'm sure the OP would appreciate it.

25x is a very good bus service into town and out again, also we have a bus lane all the way to town!

PM us if you want to ask any other questions

If you do decide to go out in town on a night out, taxi be 25 euro home, further areas out will cost more!

Trains can be very packed if your not on the first few stops. With the 25x, you get a seat no problem at finnstown as only the 4th stop!

Also live in Lucan but am single and don't have children. Agree it's a good place to live - I work in city centre and get a 25X bus at 07:40 every morning and will be at my desk a few minutes before 08:30. You have everything you need locally - pubs, lots of shops, boutiques, banks, recycling centres, cinema, etc. Also, a Griffeen Valley Park is nice and it has a lovely playground for kids. Friends of mine who live in Rathfarnham commented it much much better that the one near them. You could get a house for €350k in Lucan, but you need to be careful what parts you look in - there are parish boundaries, etc that would impact on what school your children could go to. As for going out, I used to get a taxi home and fares varied, but now I've started getting the nitelink bus to Lucan village and get taxi from there home and that saves quite a bit of money.

Traffic from Lucan to the City Centre is a bit of an issue, however the M50/N4 is being upgraded at the moment. A LUAS (light rail system) will be coming to Lucan by 2113. There is a new railway station about 1.5 miles at Adamstown however it will be some time before trains will become frequent.

Hope it arrives before then

Last edited:
Hope I am not sounding too harsh, but would not consider Lucan a great place to live, live off griffeen avenue, the 25a bus stop is a 15 minute walk away, the local pub the penny hill is at least a 30 mins away plus the traffic is soul destroying and the local primary school Archbishop Ryan is a 25min walk. Its a complete concrete jungle.

Hope I am not sounding too harsh, but would not consider Lucan a great place to live, live off griffeen avenue, the 25a bus stop is a 15 minute walk away, the local pub the penny hill is at least a 30 mins away plus the traffic is soul destroying and the local primary school Archbishop Ryan is a 25min walk. Its a complete concrete jungle.

I live in Lucan too and enjoy living there. Perhaps the issue for you is that you chose to live further away from the things that you needed access too. IMHO the traffic situation has got better over the last few months.

seems to me like living in Lucan means 100% car-dependency, and possibly a two car situ per family?

Back