Lucan?

Well the lucan debate continues.

Another posted recommended either Ballyfermot :)confused:) or Maynooth for the poster to buy in instead of Lucan. I have a friend who bought in Maynooth because she couldn't afford the house she wanted at the time in Lucan. I would still see Lucan as being superior to Maynooth (although I am sure it is also very nice and the people who live there are happy etc - don't want to start a Lucan v Maynooth debate) and I wouldn't even consider Ballyfermot, the person who suggested that was not helping the op in any way.....

I am the one who mentioned Ballyfermot but this was obviously tongue in cheek as I made the point that Ballyfermot is as close to Liffey Valley as most of Lucan. That being said many parts of Ballyfermot are lovely and I would certainly choose some of them above many parts of Lucan.
Another area perhaps more suitable is Rialto. There is another post on this website about Rialto which is worth reading before people who do not know the area comment. It is a very good family friendly location, cheap houses (more likely to appreciate than Lucan) good gardens, good amenities, 2 mile walk to Grafton Street, 1 mile to Phoenix Park, near Canal, 3 hospitals in easy walking distance, Luas line and umpteen buses.

There is no doubt that "New Lucan" is high-density and maze like and appears soulless as you drive around it.

I am also a frequent visitor to Laraghcon as we have close family and friends living there. I have observed the traffic situation for our family members deteriorate from a nuisance, to a struggle, to a major hurdle to be overcome every day. Since the road opened up outside their estate their enjoyment of daily living is serverely compromised.

This is why IMO there is so many conflicting posts about Lucan.
IMO Lucan has to be split into 3 parts
- "Old" Lucan (village - Esker/Hillcrest/Dodsboro)
- "New" Lucan: high-density and maze like is a good way of describing it.
But is it really "higher density" that anywhere else considering that appartement blocks are being built at every corner of the country?
- Laraghon which is the only estate north of the Liffey. As such, anybody who needs to get onto the N4 as to cross the bridge which has a pretty badly configured set of traffic light. This traffic light is controversial as it is located on County Fingal side of the village while all the rest of Lucan is South County Dublin, and the 2 councils can't work together!. But anybody who needs to get onto the N3 as no problem....well until they get onto the N3.

Nodser said:
When your facilities include Centra ,bookies, medical centre, football pitches and hairdressers then you are really scrapping the barrell.

Nodser said:
Rialto which is worth reading before people who do not know the area comment. It is a very good family friendly location, cheap houses (more likely to appreciate than Lucan) good gardens, good amenities, 2 mile walk to Grafton Street, 1 mile to Phoenix Park, near Canal, 3 hospitals in easy walking distance, Luas line and umpteen buses.

Are you not scrapping the barrell here?:)

As i don't know much about Rialto other than being quite rough (as per reports from friends who live there), can you please describe the "good gardens, good amenities" you are refering to?

As i don't know much about Rialto other than being quite rough (as per reports from friends who live there), can you please describe the "good gardens, good amenities" you are refering to?

As I said I wish people would read post on Rialto elsewhere on this site. The amenities I already listed plus as you are only 2 miles from Grafton street you basically have all of Central Dublin. I know loads of people living there., I do not know a single person who dislikes it. The gardens I was referring to are the size of average garden with house. Much bigger than in Lucan.

Obviously my point about hospitals and medical centres are different. Every area must have GPs. Even tiny hamlets in the middle of the bogs in the backside of Ireland have GPs. Most do not have hospitals. Rialto has 3 close by. Adult, Maternity and Childrens. I didn't mention the fact that Rialto has Medical centres. I thought it too obvious.

Another area perhaps more suitable is Rialto. There is another post on this website about Rialto which is worth reading before people who do not know the area comment. It is a very good family friendly location, cheap houses (more likely to appreciate than Lucan) good gardens, good amenities, 2 mile walk to Grafton Street, 1 mile to Phoenix Park, near Canal, 3 hospitals in easy walking distance, Luas line and umpteen buses.

Are you from Rialto? Is that why you recommended it? I suppose we all love where we choose to live. I used to work in one of the 3 hospitals you mention near Rialto. Had to walk 20 mins to the bus stop through Rialto. I didn't feel safe. Especially not on the winter evenings. Had friends who were mugged walking that way, mobile phones and the like. I learnt to drive then and didn't have to walk to bus stop. I suppose being near to 3 hospitals must be great if you get sick, but I assume that once you get there you still have the same issues as the rest of us. Or does being a resident of the area get you a bed quicker?

Oh and last time I checked Grafton Street was not in Rialto. Same way as you pointed out the liffey valley is not in lucan and therefore could not be deemed a local ammenity :)

Last edited:
where in rialto is the poster to get a 3 bed in rialto for 350K. a quick look on my home doesn't bring up anything in that price range. the cheapest is 395K and its in need of a complete refurbishment

Just had a look on myhome.ie and daft for Rialto...
There is nothing for €350k anyway which is the guide price given at the start of this thread.

Last edited:
Are you from Rialto? Is that why you recommended it? I suppose we all love where we choose to live. I used to work in one of the 3 hospitals you mention near Rialto. Had to walk 20 mins to the bus stop through Rialto. I didn't feel safe. Especially not on the winter evenings. Had friends who were mugged walking that way, mobile phones and the like. I learnt to drive then and didn't have to walk to bus stop. I suppose being near to 3 hospitals must be great if you get sick, but I assume that once you get there you still have the same issues as the rest of us. Or does being a resident of the area get you a bed quicker?

Oh and last time I checked Grafton Street was not in Rialto. Same way as you pointed out the liffey valley is not in lucan and therefore could not be deemed a local ammenity :)

God DeeDee you are awful defensive. You love Lucan fai enough I think it is a poor place to live. People on this site constantly ask for alternatives to Lucan from those of us critical of the place. I have now given 3. I do not live in any of them. Lucan is a sprawl of a place 3 or 4 miles end to end. I was just pointing out that within a similar area of Rialto you have so much more than you have in Lucan. I am not asking you to move. You are happy in Lucan great. I was not and am glad I moved out. You obviously have not read the article I spoke about re Rialto. Residents who commented about Rialto all seemed to like it.

nodser i fully agree.Couldnt wait to get out of the place as outside the village theres nothing in lucan.

Just had a look on myhome.ie and daft for Rialto...
There is nothing for €350k anyway which is the guide price given at the start of this thread.

On my home.ie there are 8 in the area under 400,000 which in a falling market you would probably get for 350,000 or there abouts

God DeeDee you are awful defensive. You love Lucan fai enough I think it is a poor place to live. People on this site constantly ask for alternatives to Lucan from those of us critical of the place. I have now given 3. I do not live in any of them. Lucan is a sprawl of a place 3 or 4 miles end to end. I was just pointing out that within a similar area of Rialto you have so much more than you have in Lucan. I am not asking you to move. You are happy in Lucan great. I was not and am glad I moved out. You obviously have not read the article I spoke about re Rialto. Residents who commented about Rialto all seemed to like it.

Hmmm yes I probably do seem defensive but thats because I feel people are not looking at the bigger picture. Lucan is a nice safe place to live with a lot of respectable people and families, if the op buys in the right area hopefully she won't have the schools issue and will get herself a nice house for 350k. Rialto is not an alternative for her. You think its nice, I wouldn't live there, but none of that matters because she can't afford the houses there anyway. I don't need to read the article, I worked there for 6 years and got a good enough feel for the place thanks. Maynooth could be an alternative. I am sure its very nice and no anti social behaviour either but the op asked about Lucan and I have given my realistic views. I have never really encountered the crazy traffic complaints that people have on here so I guess maybe I'm just lucky. Actually, I did a few times near Superquinn with the roadworks but it would have only been a few mins delay. It has never taken me 30 mins to get to the local shops and I have explained how I travel to the city centre everyday. IMO its a great place to live, especially for the ftb who wants to live in Dublin ,and while "love" is a very strong word, I am definitely happy here. However, had I been unsure of the different estates and say bought in another area of "new" Lucan that turned out not too great then I definitely would not stay there. I have walked through some of the not so nice areas and can understand why people leave and if this is there memory of Lucan then I guess I can't be too surprised its not a good one.

On my home.ie there are 8 in the area under 400,000 which in a falling market you would probably get for 350,000 or there abouts

I did a search again on myhome.ie and this is what i got
3 bed - €395k, €400k, €450 and €480k
2 bed - €320k
1 bed - €245k and €350k

As always, things need to be considered in the context of the original query (husband and wife, 1 child , €350k). I do not think they will consider 1bed or 2 bed properties.
And you have to admit (even considering current market trends) that their chances of getting something for €350k is very slim IMO.

I would suggest Sallins as a viable option (I would, as I live there) but that will probably start a whole new debate.

You have the arrow train to Heuston, a choice of schools in Sallins, Naas or Clane, manageable (just about) traffic, pubs, shops, restaurants, GAA and Soccer grounds. There are retail parks galore in the surrounding area and good shopping in Naas and Newbridge. With the new Waterways development in Sallins there is a brand new Supervalu and a hotel and leisure centre due to open.

If you like walking you will love Sallins. The canal provides miles of walkable tow paths and the long straight road from the millenium roundabout up to B&Q is very popular with joggers/walkers.

There is a park and playground down the road in Monread in Naas and Donadea woods is not too far away either.

I love it and we are delighted with our move. It is developing all the time and also benefits from all Naas and Clane have to offer too.

There are houses available in the OP price region.

I was keeping an eye here and wondering how long it would take to spiral into oblivion like all the lucan treads.
Here is my tuppence worth julesanddave. My honest opinion of where I live.
Lived in Dublin for 40 years, 9 in Lucan (or new lucan as the old-timers down in the village like to refer to it). Where I live is a nice, safe and friendly place to live. We could afford to move closer to town but choose not too. We have great neighbors. No children but our estate has millions of the buggers and they're great. I'm in esker parish and the schools are supposed to be good. There are great sporting clubs in Lucan. Too many to mention but if you pm me I'll give you more information.
Takes us 20 minutes to walk through Griffeen Valley Park to the village. Superquinn, Tesco, Aldi, Lidl are a short drive away.
Traffic has improved greatly for us since the Outer Ring Road opened in 2006. I drive to St Stephens Green for work. We usually leave the house at about 7.10 am and the trip takes 35 minutes (go through Ballyfermot and Inchicore and then Pimlico). If we leave at 8am the same journey takes less than 50 minutes. The trip home averages about 50 minutes.
I agree that a lot of the estates off Griffeen Avenue do look soulless but the inhabitants make up for it in buckets.

I did a search again on myhome.ie and this is what i got
3 bed - €395k, €400k, €450 and €480k
2 bed - €320k
1 bed - €245k and €350k

As always, things need to be considered in the context of the original query (husband and wife, 1 child , €350k). I do not think they will consider 1bed or 2 bed properties.
And you have to admit (even considering current market trends) that their chances of getting something for €350k is very slim IMO.

This discussion is going nowhere so for my last post on the issue. There are 8 3 bedroomed houses on sale in the Rialto area on myhome.ie today under €400000. However they are not all posted under Rialto but they are still in the area. Anyway Rialto was only a suggestion, a very good one in my opinion considering the op intends working in town they would probably save 5 or 6 hours a week on commuting which is 5 or 6 hours a week more time to spend with family (or dare I say it spend the time doing overtime and afford an even better house even closer to town).

Look we could argue day and night and never agree!

I think some people had bad experiences with traffic along time ago in lucan, now it seems to be ok with link road open and the lights sorted at the foxhunter. For the village i cant comment.

For the people that orginally posted this topic, all i can say is the following;

Areas up by Johnsbridge, Grange Manor, Finnstown have a good bus service every morning, will get on it no problem and the areas are good, and very friendly. neighbourhoods are save to walk around at night time as you will see loads of people jogging and running. Driving in to town is ok too, give yourself an hour for the worst possible scenario from these areas.

Hi there

First of all a massive thanks for all your thoughts good and bad! It really has been so helpful. It is great to hear everyones views.

We are still undeceided, but even with the traffic problems havent been turned off Lucan.

My parents went to look at places for us and yes got very lost and got stuck in traffic in the village and that was Sunday! But I would much prefer to live in a built up area with traffic problems than live in a rough part of Dublin where I didnt feel safe( Including some of the other suggestions mentioned) And as mentioned before on our budget we are limited.

I have also got a good idea on some estates from the posters that dropped me a PM so thanks to all of you for that.

We are home at the end of March and will come and see for ourselves. Will also see what Maynooth has to offer.

Thanks again for all of your help

Julie.

Fact is lucan traffic is not half as bad as other parts of dublin.

What an extraordinary....how do I put this?.....misrepresentation of the truth! You are so defensive about Lucan you are willing to mislead the OP who needs honest answers about Lucan? Are you an estate agent by any chance? :rolleyes:

Back