Lucan?

What facilities is missing in Lucan that is not missing in any other town on the commuter belt?

What?! So if other towns on the commuter belt are missing facilities too Lucan shouldn't grumble, should be content in the knowledge that some other places are as badly off? Strange logic.

That's not what i am saying. Of your own rights that i respect, you seem to prefer Maynooth to Lucan as it has more amenities.
So, I am simply asking as very simple open question, what amenities, in your opinion, are missing in Lucan?

IMO, there is very little missing (as least for things that are relevant to a family of 2adults + 2 children, e.g. not having a disco for instance is an advantage to me).
- swimming pool is the one thing missing (but we could open up the debate in an other thread abot the lack of public swimming pool in Dublin)

hi op, i have sent you a pm.

to all the other posters, this thread is turning into an argument about lucan which i dont think the op wanted.

Julia

It is perhaps unfair to try comparing Lucan with Maynooth or anywhere else for that matter.

Lucan has a population around c.45,000 according to 2006 Census while Maynooth has only c. 12,000.

The Lucan area recorded the highest population growth in the country between 1996–2006 and it is also worth noting that Adamstown, on the outskirts of Lucan, is projected to have between 20 and 25,000 inhabitants when it is eventually completed.

So, the Lucan area could have a population of 70,000 in ten years time !!

The problem is that it struggles to cope with its existing population in relation to public transport, traffic, educational facilities and other infrastructural needs for such a huge population.

When people say they live in Lucan, they could be 3 miles from the village of Lucan. A lot of the newly built estates are soulless concrete jungles and are an indictment of poor planning on behalf of the local authority.

Good luck with your choice

to all the other posters, this thread is turning into an argument about lucan which i dont think the op wanted.

Arguments and challenges: is it not what a public forum is about?

Usually thread about Lucan get closed quicky as posters do not adhere to the posting guidelines.
This one has made it so far to 5 pages and has not been closed (yet! but i would think got close to it in arounf page2/3).. IMO, there are been very good objective contributions made, highliting main pros & cons, based on people own experience.

I am still interesting in hearing what people think is missing in terms of facilities though...as so far, i have only read that "facilities are bad and/or missing" but no quantification has been given bare restaurants/pubs and public swimming pool.

Another option for the OP might be Newbridge. 350k would easily get a 3 bed semi close to the train station. The trains from Newbridge are reasonably reliable and there's quite a few that go straight to Heuston and they are nowhere near as packed as the trains on the Maynooth line (you are pretty much guaranteed a seat at Newbridge). It's a little bit further out from Dublin, but I think Newbridge has everything so you wouldn't really need to go to Dublin.

Arguments and challenges: is it not what a public forum is about?

yes it is but at the end of the day its people to give opinions to help the op not to fight among themselves!!!!

ive lived in lucan for the past 23 years and i see no problem with it. everywhere has it faults and good parts and bad parts, not just lucan.

facility wise i think lucan is pretty good. fair enough there is no swimming pool but thats not the end of the world!!!!

Hi Blueberry;

What other parts of Dublin have you lived in? As i said i have lived and worked in various parts and Lucan is not the worst for traffic.

I can get into work the same time from Lucan which is 16k from ballsbridge as i could from Milltown on some days which is 4k from Ballsbridge.

I aint going to get defensive about Lucan as we didnt actually have to buy there, but i actually fell for the place, can have bbq in back garden and not hear traffic, can walk around at night and perfectly safe.

Blueberry where in Lucan does it take you to get from to the m50 intersection and takes you an hour??

Blueberry where in Lucan does it take you to get from to the m50 intersection and takes you an hour??

It can take up to an hour from:

Dodsboro
Hillcrest
Kew Park
A.G.P.
Laraghcon

etc.

I lived in Lucan for 24 years and now live in Maynooth but and agree on "new Lucan" bring a concrete jungle (I still do not recognise it as Lucan - it's really Clondalkin) with no infrastucture (ie. on-going work on the N4 - this should have been conducted years ago - not now) ie. traffic problems at Superquinn (possibly resolved now) but it took months to get it done etc.

The list has no end - Lucan (old) has enough greenland / parks to keep one happy, Maynooth maybe just what Lucan was 20 odd years ago in terms of planning, so Maynooth would be the better option - from my personal experience of both.

maybe it might be helpful for the op if we were to list the ammenities in Lucan and the ammenities in maynooth which may be a help. I think maynooth is a nice place so I'm not going to start dismissing it and I would imagine the train is very handy for work. Is it a park and ride? Things like that might be of help, instead of us all arguing the good and bad points in Lucan. How long would it take the op to travel from Maynooth to Balinteer by car if she wanted to visit her family of an evening and the same from Lucan. I travel to Templeogue every week from Lucan by car either in the evening or weekend. The m50 is a bit of a disaster at the minute so that will effect both destinations I imagine. When it is bad it can take me 30 mins to get to my parents house. When I leave late in the evening (after 10pm) takes me less than 15 mins door to door. The grange castle road is also an option, longer journey but no traffic. Maynooth has a swimming pool though so that may appeal over the lack of one in Lucan! The people with a family on here may be able to offer some advice on the ammenities that might be useful for Julie and her child in both destinations.

Maynooth has a swimming pool though so that may appeal over the lack of one in Lucan!

Interesting (at least for somebody who is considering doing an Ironman one day !)... are you referring to the one in NUI? is it public?
I thought the nearest public swimming pools to Lucan would either be the one in Clondalkin or the NAC in Blancharstown?

I believe there is one in the college, although I am not sure how open to the public it is. A local swimming pool would be the last thing on my list of priorities when buying a house but it seems to be quite important to some people.

It's a while since I've looked at this thread. I've just flicked through some of the posts and unfortunately some posters have simply posted inaccurate information which dosen't help anyone.

I think it would be useful if the posters who come out with the loose statements about lack of amenities (for family with young children) to either state what amenities they believe Lucan lacks or just stop posting these unhelpful comments.

I've lived in Lucan for the last 12 years and I can assure the OP it has plenty of facilites in Lucan or at least a short drive away.

By the way, my children attend swimming lessons in the Finnstown Country House swimming pool which is 5 minutes walk from Finnstown Abbey. You also have Clondalkin public pool close by and of course the NAC is a 10 minute or so drive.

Yes travelling to the city centre is not great, but that is a Dublin problem. 35minutes bus ride is not excessive.

The remarks about 30 minutes to get out of one of the Finnstown Estates is pure fantasy. The Newcastle road is now quite free flowing except for possibly having to wait for 1 or 2 sequneces of traffic lights and certainly there are no delays getting out of the estates.

I don't know why there are discusssions about Rialto, Maynooth etc. The Op has asked about Lucan.

I didn't really want to post on this thread again because its gone on far too much, but I couldn't let these loose inaccurate statements go by without being corrected/challenged.

GA001

From Hillcrest or South Lucan it doesnt take an hour to get to the intersection! Done enough times to know!

GA001

From Hillcrest or South Lucan it doesnt take an hour to get to the intersection! Done enough times to know!

Well for some with a helicopter...

Not always but many mornings out of the week it can take up to this time.

That's not what i am saying. Of your own rights that i respect, you seem to prefer Maynooth to Lucan as it has more amenities.

I rest my case! Yet another example of people's defensiveness about Lucan!!

Show me where I said I preferred Maynooth to Lucan? I didn't.

Show me where I said it has more amenities? I didn't.

What I said was: "I often thought life might be easier if I lived in Maynooth near the train station, but the Maynoothites will help you out on that one". ie I don't know Maynooth well enough to comment on it, other than it has a train station which Lucan has not.

So, you ignored the positive things I said about Lucan (eg "But I do like Lucan itself, especially the village and the older more settled parts"), and picked on the negatives because that is the habit of overly sensitive Lucan newcomers (by that I mean anyone who has moved there in the last 10 years, ie the date from which the systematic ruining of the place began).

Listen, this thread is a joke and does AAM a disservice. The OP asked for honest, informed advice on Lucan and all she's getting is misinformation from people who get uppity when anyone draws attention to the place's evident flaws. I assume those who have claimed Lucan has no traffic problems never leave their homes at rush hour? They certainly haven't tried to get out of Finnstown at rush hour in the morning, or crawled from Lucan to the M50 round-about at the same time. And because they have no experience of this misery they deny it happens!!! Comical.

OP? Please ignore the misinformation here and try to get out to Lucan to see it for yourself. You will see lots that will attract you to the town, and lots that won't. Most of all be aware that the commute to town is a nightmare - and any impartial observer will confirm that. You could try AA Roadwatch - listen to them in the morning, it's like 'Lucan Gridlock-watch'! If that's an issue for you avoid buying in Lucan, if it's not then it is a place worth considering. Best of luck.

For those who deny Lucan has any traffic problems click http://www.lucanonline.com/lucantraffic.htm (here) and and [broken link removed]. Little or nothing has changed since any of this stuff was written - in some cases it has got worse.

For those who deny Lucan has any traffic problems click http://www.lucanonline.com/lucantraffic.htm (here) and and [broken link removed]. Little or nothing has changed since any of this stuff was written - in some cases it has got worse.

Do you know of any 7-8 mile commute into Dublin City centre that takes less than 1 hour at peak times in a car?

Maybe it depends on what part of Lucan you are driving from but it used to take me 60mins to get to Baggot street from Lucan on average.

Listen, this thread is a joke and does AAM a disservice. The OP asked for honest, informed advice on Lucan and all she's getting is misinformation from people who get uppity when anyone draws attention to the place's evident flaws.

Blueberry I'm afraid it is yourself who is posting the misinformation and doing this thread a disservice!

I assume those who have claimed Lucan has no traffic problems never leave their homes at rush hour? They certainly haven't tried to get out of Finnstown at rush hour in the morning,

It's not Lucan that has the traffic problem, it's Dublin. What part of the greater Dublin region has not got a traffic problem at rush hour?

As I have said I live in Finnstown Abbey and travel on the Newcastle road twice a day in rush hour traffic. There is very little traffic thanks to the outer ring road and the new Adamstown link road. There is absolutely no problem getting out of Finnstown Abbey and when I pass Finnstown Priory and Finnstown Cloisters, I don't see any traffic queueing to get out. You are wrong! Utterly wrong!

Yes trying to drive to the city centre will be difficult, but you should use public transport for city centre journeys, just like any other large city.

Back