Is Carpenterstown really Castleknock (originally posted 24-01-2005)?

Re: Is Carpenterstown really Castleknock?

Parish become relevent whan buying a home, if you want to be in the catchment for a local school. DED's are relevent for councils etc. People here have said that these new areas are townlands. I don't understand how they could be if the townlands where drawn up many years ago when these estates don't exist. They are not on the old townland maps, lookups you can find on the web. But if your claiming they are townlands, where you are getting that information from. On the Fingal site, when talking about some of the roads in Riverwood Fingal call it

What are the boundries of the

Laurel lodge Townland
Riverwood Townland
Carpentstown Townland

Aircobra19 is probably correct. I understand that Laurel Lodge and Riverwood are housing estate names? Then they are probably not Townlands. They would officially be in one or other of the Townlands in Aircobra19's lists.

Annfield, Ashtown, Astagob (in the parish of Castleknock), Cabragh (in the parish of Castleknock), Carpenterstown, Castleknock, Diswellstown, Pelletstown and Porterstown.

I would assume that the only addresses that are legally entitled to used "Castleknock" in their postal address (i.e. Street Name, Castleknock, Dublin 15) are those in the Townland of Castleknock, which I assume covers the original village and immediate areas?

It appears from the list that Carpenterstown is a Townland in its own right, so the correct address from houses there is Street Name, Carpenterstown, Dublin 15? Whereas in feudal times, the land in Carpenterstown was owned by Baron Castleknock, it is not part of the Townland of Castleknock.

I'm a fan of keeping address short. So I can see no reason to add Castleknock to the address if you don't need it. If you do it to impress, well thats very sad, and most people will see through it and it has the opposite effect.

The real issue here is builders using the address. To me, that speaks volumes about how far you can trust a specific builder if they are up to blatent tricks like that. Its pretty obvious if the advertised address bears no relation to the actual address.

Wasn't there a story revealed in one of the tribunals of how a builder managed (ably assisted by one Liam Lawlor) to have his plot of land "rebadged" from Clondalkin to Lucan, thus adding several thousand to the price of each house built.?

Find this interesting, I just bought a house Carpenterstown/Castleknock and was unaware of the 'argument'. I thought my house was Castleknock as thats the address I was given on Estate Agents brochure and bills arrive with that address. Its Burnell Park Avenue confusingly opposite castleknock community College and to the right of that is the Carpenterstown pub??? More confused now!

Thats the Carpenter Pub btw. What do think based on the thread so far.

Yes the pub is The Carpenterstown but the school directly opposite my door is Castleknock Community College so that really doesn't clarify things!

Carpenterstown is not Castleknock, its another townland.

If you left Castleknock and went in other directions for the same distance you would end up in Blanchardtown, Ashtown, Clonsilla, Coolmine, and so forth.

Er no its the Carpenter not the Carpenterstown.
[broken link removed]

The Carpenter
Carpenterstown Road
Castleknock
Dublin 15

The school is
Castleknock Community College,
Carpenterstown Rd.,
Castleknock,
Dublin 15.

Carpenterstown is in Castleknock. So its logical its it not?

Carpenterstown is not Castleknock, its another townland.

If you left Castleknock and went in other directions for the same distance you would end up in Blanchardtown, Ashtown, Clonsilla, Coolmine, and so forth.

Carpenterstown is a townland in the Castleknock DED. The links in this thread clearly show this. If you have a link showing its not, please post it.

Well that was my understanding carpenterston is in Castleknock but some on this thread seem to get quite aggrivated to even suggest Carpenterstwon is part of the 'Knock'

I suppose the point is that if what you really really want to be able to say is that you live in Carpenterstown in Castleknock then you can go ahead and do so BUT is says more about you than the real geography of the place & in the long term it doesn't impress.

I for one am tired giving people who are trying to find addresses they've been told are in Castleknock very long winded directions to where they're actually going. If they'd been a bit cynical and checked in advance they would have stayed on the bus or train a bit longer...

Agree with Aircobra in post 83 - if people are trying to impress then it's counter productive.

Castleknock DED

It is not appropriate to use a DED name in an address - they are just divisions for electoral administration and are generally called after the place that the election is administered from, though they usually cover a larger area including surrounding townlands. DED's do not necessarily have to be even called after an area. They are similar in status to constituency names. I dont see anyone using "Dublin West" in their address, so the DED should not be used either. The address is the Townland.

Townlands are quite simple - everywhere is in a townland of some sort & they have definate boundaries.

I agree with csirl: DEDs are not applicable as actual addresses.

"The basic topographical units used on the site are townlands, the smallest land denomination in Ireland, for rural areas, and streets for urban areas. If you know the townland or street where the person lived, enter that in the relevant box."
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/help/locationsearch.html

All this does is devalue Castleknock as an adddress.

If you live on the Navan Road - can you call yourself a Navan Resident?

If a stranger is at MYOS - how do you direct him to some house in a cul dec sac in Luttrelltown/Carpenterstown without leaving Castleknock.

...If a stranger is at MYOS - how do you direct him to some house in a cul dec sac in Luttrelltown/Carpenterstown without leaving Castleknock.

Take the Castleknock road, Laurel lodge Rd, Carpenterstown rd. I'd hardly say go to the Castleknock townland boundary, and the next townland is Carpenterstown townland. Laurel Lodge isn't a townland. Its an estate.

I'd say 90% (maybe more) of people from the area couldn't tell you where Diswellstown is. Or what a townsland is for that matter. Where are the boundaries of the townlands of Carpenterstown/Diswellstown/Porterstown/Castleknock

[broken link removed]

District Electoral Division
Population 2002
Airport
Balbriggan Rural
Balbriggan Urban
Baldoyle
Balgriffin
Ballyboghil
Balscadden
Blanchardstown-Abbotstown
Blanchardstown-Blakestown
Blanchardstown-Coolmine
Blanchardstown-Corduff
Blanchardstown-Delwood
Blanchardstown-Mulhuddart
Blanchardstown-Roselawn
Blanchardstown-Tyrrelstown
Castleknock-Knockmaroon
Castleknock-Park
Clonmethan
Donabate

Sorry but "an estate" does not normally have it's own shopping centre, school and church.

[broken link removed]

And?

Blanch 50k vs Castleknock 20k (approx). Blakestown is 24k. I wonder how many in Blanchardstown are addressed as Banchardstown and not their "townland".

BTW I though Corduff was renamed Snugsboro?

Back