Is Carpenterstown really Castleknock (originally posted 24-01-2005)?

Re: Is Carpenterstown really Castleknock?

The funny thing is the Community School in Carpenterstown is full and demand for places in the coming years will be more and more limited to the greater Carpenterstown/Portersgate area. Castleknock residents may struggle to get their children in. People from Carpenterstown might not be so quick to claim Castleknock residency then..

Do ded'S really count? I live in the Terenure Rathfarnham DED,(Walkinstown) and granted my house is over priced, but I though that was more to do with postcodes than anything else. Could walkinstown turn into Rathfarnham?, makes no sense.

Yes DED's count, as our wonderful Government has put them in place.
Whether it makes sense or not is another issue (I'm backing the nonsense side BTW)

What is on the title/deed's to your house? probably walkinstown (now turned into terenure/rathfarnham ded)

no castleknock consists of; castleknock road,chesterfield, deerpark, georgian village, stockton, auburn avenue,the pines, castleknock park, castleknock village, college grove, castleknock lodge, college park, park avenue, park drive, hawthorn, beech park and thats basically it any were else isnt really consideder castleknock.

no castleknock consists of; castleknock road,chesterfield, deerpark, georgian village, stockton, auburn avenue,the pines, castleknock park, castleknock village, college grove, castleknock lodge, college park, park avenue, park drive, hawthorn, beech park and thats basically it any were else isnt really consideder castleknock.

what is laurel lodge then????? no mans land??

What about Talbot Downs/Court. A friend of mine lives there and they registered in Castleknock. They are really well built houses and some have huge gardens. It's also a great location for the train to town.

Thanks for that, we can all rest now that your opinion has surpassed Government policy and their current boundary markers.
Sadly 'and' your opinion on what is and isnt castleknock is not valid and wont hold up in court. However the government Ded land boundaries and title deeds do!
I think we should go with government policy on this one.

They're all in the Greater Blanchardstown Area - lets just get over it.

There's an An Post sorting office in D15 so that means you can leave that bit out of the address altogether . . . in theory . . . though all these new estates are starting to duplicate names (The Pines in Castleknock and Tyrellstown).

Anecdotally I heard of an estate on the Navan Rd near Halfway house (the one near the Darling Estate I think) which was sold as being in Castleknock erroneously and someone who was running a business from their home and lost business due to missing post eventually managed to sue the developer successfully for loss of business.

Fortlawn, Castleknock & Ladyswell, Castleknock have ben added

Sometimes I wish for a boundry commision to be set up in Dublin, to specifically stop this problem, like developers selling estates as being somewhere they're not, estate agents pulling a fast one, arguements in the pub,and my neighbours painting out the postcodes on our street, and not forgetting all the discussions I have read here - "is it Lucan or Clondalkin, Walkinstown or Terenure, knocklyon or Templeogue, Kinsealy or Swords".

Have heard it being called Blanchknock recently.

Was out for a drink a while ago and a 30 something laydee, said "oh, I wouldn't live there, I live in the real Castleknock - Georgian Village, to be exact". I was gobsmacked that someone so young could afford their own house there and asked her did she win the lotto, to which she replied "oh no, I live with my parents". :rolleyes:

Rest my case. !!! If in these days you can afford to buy a house at all and get on the property ladder, you are lucky. And if its in an area with nice neighbours, facilities and little crime, what does it matter. But that's just my opinion.

Re: Castleknock

I think the question here is do you live in the castleknock area or in castleknock village.
Have lived in the village all my life but bought a house in Riverwood a few years ago. When asked where I live, I say Carpenterstown....Why ?? Try walking to your local then ......Myos....a bit hard considering you lived on what was farm land a few years ago and is not within spitting distance of the village.......
Who cares the traffic is shocking no matter where you live in the Dublin 15 area ....

I agree.

I also live in Riverwood and would have seperated Carpenterstown and Castleknock accordingly.

Otherwise its

"Oh, beside Myos there?"
"No, behind the Carpenter pub there",
"Oh, Carpenterstown?"

I think government should legislate for the usage of proximal boozers to settle this argument once and for all.

Carpenterstown = Carpenter
Roselawn = Roselawn
Castleknock = Myos
Blanchardstown Villiage = the Bell

etc....

Either way, with regard to the prices of houses in Castleknock, I'd expect the buyer would drill down further - otherwise you deserve everything you get.

Would you pay the same for a house in Corduff ( Blanchardstown ) as you would in Delwood ( Blanchardstown )?

I

Have to say I loved reading this thread. I used to live in Charnwood in Clonsilla. I met someone at a wine-tasting night in Odd Bins when it was at Blanch shopping centre. We got chatting and she told me she lived in Castleknock. Oh really? said I, whereabouts? Opposite St Mochtas school she replied. So by that reckoning I also lived in Castleknock.
Charnwood, Castleknock, Dublin 15!!!
Thankfully I now live in Meath, where nobody gives a damn about such things.

God help anyone living in Carpenterstown when the new road goes in & it will be soon.

Was at a engineers meeting yesterday about it.

What new road? Can you provide a link or perhaps more details please? Thanks.

It's this one here:

[broken link removed]

TBH, I'm not sure on the impact. It will take a lot of traffic away from Clonsilla, this is already a busy area, so it may filter some of the traffic away from the estate. I live in Riverwood (somewhere between Castleknock & Carpenterstown!), so following this with interest

Last edited:

what is laurel lodge then????? no mans land??
[FONT=&quot]Laurel Lodge is clearly in Castleknock. The main road through it is ‘Castleknock Avenue’, isn’t it? And all the houses off that have ‘Castleknock’ their name. So Laurel Lodge is in Castleknock. You can thank me for that. I was a member of the residents’ association when this whole ‘Castleknock’ issue came up years ago. So to put the matter beyond doubt I proposed that we get the Council to put the name ‘Castleknock’ in all the roads. (Before that it was Road 1, Road 1a, etc.). [/FONT]

It's this one here:

[broken link removed]

TBH, I'm not sure on the impact. It will take a lot of traffic away from Clonsilla, this is already a busy area, so it may filter some of the traffic away from the estate. I live in Riverwood (somewhere between Castleknock & Carpenterstown!), so following this with interest

Thanks for that. Very interesting. Don't know how I haven't seen it elsewhere! One point is : it would seem from reading it (and I may have read it wrong) but it says = the works include the closing of southbound traffic on the Porterstown Road - not the closing of the Porterstown Road to southbound traffic for the duration of the works. Therefore, it would seem from reading it, its going to be permanently closed.

Please correct me if my reading of it is wrong, because I would love to be wrong in this instance!!

Mayhem indeed, as if we are not burning out enough of clutches.:rolleyes: And just yesterday I saw for the 1st time, (it was the 1st time I went that way in ages), that Riverwood Road has new signs up to deter non-residents from parking on the road, in the form of clampers and release fees of €200.00.

Back