Is Carpenterstown really Castleknock (originally posted 24-01-2005)?

M

MoodyToo

I live in Riverwood, Carpentertstown, Castleknock. I have been told this is not really Castleknock. Can anyone tell me if this is true or not? Was the address changed at some point so as to inflate property prices? Was the area originally Clonsilla or Banchardstown?
MoodyToo.

Riverwood

I used to live in Riverwood & as far as I can remember it was Castleknock on the land registry documentation....

Re: Riverwood

when i moved into tyrrelstown i saw a map that said it was on the ground lands of castleknock

if it helps the house prices they will try it!

this one

castleknock is bordered by

M50 motorway
Navan Road
Phoenix Park
Whites Gate Road/Carpenterstown Road

I used to live in Laurel Lodge. Some of the neighbours got hot under the collar about it being Castleknock. I didn't care as it doesn't really matter...I never really thought of it as Castleknock but what's the big deal about Castleknock anyway?

I suppose the big deal is that Castleknock is seen as a prestigious address. Those from the Castleknock may have issue with the area being extended. I was out recently and a guy from Castlenock village asked me did I live in the "real" Castleknock, seemed to bother him quite a bit? It was the first I'd heard of such rumblings, I would like to find out exactly what the lie of the land is so I can answer "yes" or "no" and "who gives a monkeys". If it's Carpenterstown then I'm very happy to live there cause it's a great area. I suppose if I'm honest it bothers me a little because I wouldn't people to think I'm trying to pretend to live in an area out of some kind of snobbery. Maybe I should be thankful to have time for such an insignificant worry.

MoodyToo.

use myhome.ie(25-01-2005)

go property search

set
Select County/City :D ublin West
Step 02 Select Locality/Town : Castleknock
Step 03 Select Property Type : Semi-Detached
leave rest as they are

click search, you get 19 results

none of the results are in castleknock

What I should be asking is who is the ultimate authority on areas and their boundaries. What authority can I use to see the exact boundary of castleknock and the history of any changes if they took place. If Castleknock is the village and not the surrounding areas then all these areas are guilty of borrowing the Castleknock name.

i got my info. about the bounderies from the castleknock
parish newsletter.

you can see the townland boundaries in the land registry office in setanta house.

Greetings Riverwood and other residents :)

Carpenterstown is in the Castleknock Knockmaroon District Electoral Division (DED). These are the proper local boundaries used by the census, local govt. etc., townlands are a bit out of date.

There is another DED called Castleknock Park which covers the villgae etc. If you're really interested you can get a map in the Ordance survey office.

Good to see so many carpenterstown residents on AAM

This from the relevant Statutory Instrument

[broken link removed]

Castleknock-Knockmaroon That part of the County situated within a line drawn as follows:—

Commencing at the intersection of the Dublin-Galway railway line by Castleknock Road; thence commencing in a south-easterly direction and proceeding along Castleknock Road to its junction with the County Borough boundary at the Castleknock Gate; thence commencing in a south-westerly direction and proceeding along the County Borough boundary to its junction with the Electoral County boundary; thence commencing in a westerly direction and proceeding along the Electoral County boundary to its intersection by the imaginary north easterly projection of the eastern boundary of Hermitage Golf Course; thence in a north-easterly direction along the said imaginary projection to its intersection by Lower Lucan Road; thence in a north-westerly direction along Lower Lucan Road to its junction with Rugged Lane; thence commencing in a north-westerly direction and proceeding along Rugged Lane to its junction with Luttrelstown Road; thence in a south-easterly direction along Luttrelstown Road to its junction with Porterstown Road; thence in a northerly direction along Porterstown Road to its intersection by the Dublin-Galway railway line; thence commencing in a south-easterly direction and proceeding along the said railway line to the starting point.

Castleknock-Park That part of the County situated within a line drawn as follows:—

Commencing at the intersection of Dunsink Lane by the River Tolka; thence in a south-easterly direction along the River Tolka to its junction with the County Borough boundary; thence commencing in a southerly direction and proceeding along the County Borough boundary to Castleknock Gate; thence in a north-westerly direction along Castleknock Road to its intersection by the Dublin-Galway railway line; thence in a north-easterly direction along the said railway line to its intersection by Dunsink Lane; thence in a north-easterly direction along Dunsink Lane to the starting point.

carpentestown is carpenterstown townland
castleknock is castleknock townland

Roselawn and delwood were called castleknock by the builders
for example, at the time they added 5% onto roselawn by calling it castleknock (£20k to 21k punts at the time)

people will pay more for a castleknock address even they know that is is not really in casleknock

In dublin the auctioneers go by the Street Directory ( i cannot remember its name) as its miselling otherwise.
so foe example they cannot call a Drumcondra house a Glasnevin address

Riverwood is definitely not in Castleknock - its closer to clonsilla and blanchardsown and diswellstown

So up to up, its snob value but people in Ireland seem to go for that.

Swords is travelling foot by foot to Malahude at the moment.
Clondalkin is moving slowly to Lucan

"Put a tinker on horseback and he'll ride to hell"
old country saying

I totally accept the point about builders and even snobbery, but i would repeat Townland is not used in any modern administrative fashion since the introduction of DEDs.

Roselwan is one of the Blanchardstown DEDs (not sure which there are about 4/5). There is no Diswellstown DED, althought there was a townland.

Of course the overall area is really greater blanchardstown and this shoud be recognised in some local governance but that's another debate

On inspection I think the Statutory Instrument should refer to the Dublin Sligo line not Dublin Galway!! Wonder who that should be pointed out to.

If you go back far enough practically all of west Dublin was in Castleknock :)

"In regard to the first point - namely, extent of territory - it is fortunate that from various references in the State Papers, and especially from two inquisitions into the lands of Castleknock - one made in 1299 and the other in 1408 - we obtain fairly complete descriptions of the different properties held by the Tyrrells as vassals of the Crown. In general, the lands of Castleknock embraced all the territory west of the city, from Island Bridge almost to Lucan northward between the River Liffey and the Tolka, and in places even beyond the latter river.
It was a fairly intensive territory, containing probably 10,000 to 12,000 Irish acres. It embraced the Phoenix Park, and stretched as far as Clonsilla and Luttrellstown on the south , and northward beyond Blanchardstown, and apparently even to place north of the Tolka, from Cappagh to Clonee, on the borders of County Meath.
During the thirteenth century many Norman families settled on this district as dependants of the Tyrrells - or by grant from the Crown. Most of these families have given their names to the lands which they occupied either by additions of the word "town" to their surname or even by the use of the surname alone. Thus we have Luttrellstown, Blanchardstown, Pilatestown (Pelletstown), Abbotstown, Carpenterstown, Keppoge (Cappagh), etc. while some of the older names still survive, as Clonsilla, Mullaghahiddert (Mulhuddert), Astagob, etc. These names give an idea of the extent of the Castleknock estate, and at the same time show how thoroughly the district came into the power of the Norman occupiers, to the exclusion of the native Irish."

Castleknock

I think the question here is do you live in the castleknock area or in castleknock village.
Have lived in the village all my life but bought a house in Riverwood a few years ago. When asked where I live, I say Carpenterstown....Why ?? Try walking to your local then ......Myos....a bit hard considering you lived on what was farm land a few years ago and is not within spitting distance of the village.......
Who cares the traffic is shocking no matter where you live in the Dublin 15 area ....

Re: Castleknock

deds or not deds
The townlands should be used

we have old castleknock round myos/phoenix park
new castleknock laurel lodge
castleknock over the dividing stream but called castleknock by a builder (roselawn/delwood)

and now riverwood, diswelltown and carpenterstown are in castleknock

whem we hit lucan village then can we change lucan to castleknock

Re: Castleknock

"Who cares the traffic is shocking no matter where you live in the Dublin 15 area ...."

not if you live in the new apartments in cabra on the canal
also Dublin 15

Back