Is Carpenterstown really Castleknock (originally posted 24-01-2005)?

Re: Is Carpenterstown really Castleknock?

Riverwood Road has new signs up to deter non-residents from parking on the road, in the form of clampers and release fees of €200.00.

There has been an ongoing battles between local residents and careless / inconsiderate people who abandon their cars to get the train. Double yellow lines were put down prior to christmas, but now the cerpenters pub car park is like a park and ride. there's also plans by irish rail to develop coolmine car park into a multi storey - it will be pay and display, so roll on the chaos....:rolleyes:

The Porterstown Rd will be permanently closed when the works are completed later this year.

Not quite - if you look at the plans, you will be able to turn right onto the old Porterstown rd from the current diswellstown roundabout and continue accross the level crossing towards clonsilla. Porterstown rd south of this will be closed though, and access provided in a cul-de-sac for what looks like one of the fields off the porterstown rd.

[broken link removed]

Let's throw a spanner in your works. I live in Warrenstown, which is located in Mulhuddart, which is actually part of the Castleknock Barony :) !!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._County_Dublin

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Barony

The townland is what matters in Irish addresses - this is the "town" in which you live.

A Barony is land that is owned by a Baron in feudal times - all the land in the Barony of Castleknock was at one time in the control of Baron Castleknock. Sometimes all the land owned under a feudal title is in the same area, sometimes it can be spread out in small patches, sometimes 100s miles apart. The fact that the land was owned by under a feudal title doesnt mean that the land is actually in the area that is named in the title. A classic example of this is Wesport Co. Mayo which was owned by Lord Lucan. Obviously nobody in Wesport claims to be living in "Lucan, Co. Dublin." Likewise, parts of the current Dublin City were once under the Earl of Mornington, and obviously nobody in these parts of Dublin writes their address as "Mornington Co Meath" :).

In summary, only the area covered by the Townland of Castleknock is Castleknock for addres purposes. Likewise, Malahide is never referred to as Coolock, as even though it is in the Barony of Coolock, it is not in the Townland of Coolock.

This is not snobbery or anything else - I am not from Castleknock or any of the surrounding areas and so have no vested interest in what people call the place. However, I do think correct names should be used in all cases and that the local authorities in Ireland should make a better effort to clarify and emphasise the genuine historic local names, many of which are being "lost" due to peoples snobbery over property values.

I would read the plans the same as quinno, however onlooker stated they were are an engineers meeting about it. So just wondering, in what capacity onlooker attended this meeting about the roads. If you were at a meeting about it, perhaps you have more info than whats contained in the pdf files, and thus have come to a different deduction, than us. Any more info to give please?

There has been an ongoing battles between local residents and careless / inconsiderate people who abandon their cars to get the train. Double yellow lines were put down prior to christmas, but now the cerpenters pub car park is like a park and ride. there's also plans by irish rail to develop coolmine car park into a multi storey - it will be pay and display, so roll on the chaos....:rolleyes:

With people parking on each side of the road, including the bends, navigating Riverwood Road and the estate turn offs on car, bike or foot was just dangerous.

Had builders in the area provided a Porterstown train station, complete with park and ride facilities as it had promised when the Riverwood developments begain, this problem could have been somewhat prevented.

[FONT=&quot]Laurel Lodge is clearly in Castleknock. The main road through it is ‘Castleknock Avenue’, isn’t it? And all the houses off that have ‘Castleknock’ their name. So Laurel Lodge is in Castleknock. You can thank me for that. I was a member of the residents’ association when this whole ‘Castleknock’ issue came up years ago. So to put the matter beyond doubt I proposed that we get the Council to put the name ‘Castleknock’ in all the roads. (Before that it was Road 1, Road 1a, etc.). [/FONT]
I used to live in Laurel Lodge and I never considered it to be Castleknock. It's accross the M50 from Castleknock for gods sake!

I used to live in Laurel Lodge and I never considered it to be Castleknock. It's accross the M50 from Castleknock for gods sake!

Laurel Lodge was there a long time before the M50:D

Laurel Lodge was build beside what was Blanchardstown train station, which then became Blanchardstown/Castleknock Train station and is now just Castleknock Train Station . . . there's no longer a train station for Blanchardstown at all.
My father (who lives in Blanch village) replied to a store assistant who asked "is that in Castleknock?" when taking his address for delivery purposes - "not yet"
Castleknock gets bigger and bigger for certain purposes and Blanch gets bigger and bigger for other purposes.
IMHO Laurel Lodge has a shopping centre, a church, schools etc - it should get over itself and claim its own identity.

God help anyone living in Carpenterstown when the new road goes in & it will be soon.

Was at a engineers meeting yesterday about it.

I agree. New road is going to funnel a lot more traffic into the bottleneck of laurel lodge/riverwood. Theres is no where for this traffic to go. They've destroyed this area with over development.

Areas change. The DED is the administive boundary, however theres also the parish boundaries, and natural and social boundaries. The village or even the church, schools, shops aren't always in the middle of the boundary either. The old Barony division doesn't make any sense today. Parish and school catchments change almost every year. At the end of the day you need to check out an area/location for yourself and not believe any of the marketing and mis-information used to sell property. If you don't do that then you're not very bright.

I've always thought that it would be a good idea for councils in the greater Dublin area to put the name of the area (Townland) in small letters on the street signs - that way there would be no doubt about the area. Same as what is done in some parts of UK where you see e.g. "Borough of Wherever" in small letters somewhere on the sign.

What are the boundries of the

Laurel lodge Townland
Riverwood Townland
Carpentstown Townland

The DED exists the Parishes exist, the Barony is completely out of date. Do these Townsland even exist officially? What official body created them.

There is legislation setting out the official townland boundaries. Some of this legislation is very old as some townlands have existed since the middle ages. Townland names are included on all property deeds. In Ireland, Townlands are the official when determining the location of property.

Church parishes have no legal standing in Ireland. A DED is a subdivision used for electoral purposes - the name of the DED does not necessarily reflect the area it covers and has no status with regard to property location. There are some "civil parishes" in Ireland, but these are administrative for registration purposes and generally cover a number of townlands.

Baronies officially dont exist in Ireland any more as we do not recognise feudal titles and so have no "Barons". However, they are still on many title deeds as the creation of the titles goes back to pre-independence when the British granted feudal titles in Ireland.

What are the boundries of the

Laurel lodge Townland
Riverwood Townland
Carpentstown Townland

You can probably get maps from the OSI or the Land Registry detailing the boundaries. There are also various historic sources where you can get Townland maps.

Parish become relevent whan buying a home, if you want to be in the catchment for a local school. DED's are relevent for councils etc. People here have said that these new areas are townlands. I don't understand how they could be if the townlands where drawn up many years ago when these estates don't exist. They are not on the old townland maps, lookups you can find on the web. But if your claiming they are townlands, where you are getting that information from. On the Fingal site, when talking about some of the roads in Riverwood Fingal call it

Diswellstown Electoral Division: Castleknock
[broken link removed]

Also on the Statue book

Blanchardstown
The townlands of:—

Abbotstown, Bay, Ballycoolen, Belgree, Blanchardstown, Buzzardstown, Cappoge, Cloghran (in the barony of Castleknock), Corduff (in the parish of Castleknock), Court, Cruiserath, Damastown (in the parish of Mulhuddart), Deanestown (in the parish of Castleknock), Dunsink, Gallanstown (in the parish of Mulhuddart), Goddamendy, Grange (in the parish of Cloghran), Hollystown, Hollywood, Hollywoodrath, Huntstown (in the parish of Castleknock), Huntstown (in the parish of Mulhuddart), Johnstown (in the parish of Castleknock), Killamonan (in the parish of Mulhuddart), Kilmartin, Littlepace, Macetown Middle, Macetown North, Macetown South, Mitchelstown, Mooretown (in the parish of Mulhuddart), Parslickstown, Powerstown, Scribblestown, Sheephill, Snugborough (in the parish of Castleknock), Tyrrellstown and Yellow-Walls (in the parish of Mulhuddart).

Castleknock
The townlands of:—

Annfield, Ashtown, Astagob (in the parish of Castleknock), Cabragh (in the parish of Castleknock), Carpenterstown, Castleknock, Diswellstown, Pelletstown and Porterstown.

So either people are just making stuff up, or they have a more up to date source of information. If so please share it.

As a kid, I recall Castleknock as being synonomous with big detached houses (Georgian Village, etc), big cars and plenty of the folding stuff.

Fast forward 30 years and the name is synonomous with endless, soulless housing estates that were marketed on the basis of being part of Castleknock to the extent that it matters little anyway. Castleknock no longer has the whiff of exclusivity that may have made it desirable in the first instance.

Synonymous with endless, soulless housing estates? I wouldn't have said that.

Castleknock isn't physically all that big, even with all the development thats gone on in the last 20yrs. Its a fraction of the size of Lucan, Blanchardstown, Mulhuddart and any number of well known areas on the southside. Its a relatively small area. Biggest problem with Castleknock is that the commuters of all these much bigger areas out as far as navan feed through the area trying to get into the city center in the morning. I would guess only a fraction of it originates or terminates in Castleknock.

The Original townload was called Astagob when the land was owned by the Warren's.

Back