Is Carpenterstown really Castleknock (originally posted 24-01-2005)?

New apartments

Been in them ...... there is so much security Id rather live in Arbour Hill .........!!!!

Re: New apartments

What about the part of Castleknock that is in Blanchardstown Village

Brady's of Castleknock???

Re: Is Carpenterstown really Castleknock?

Tyrrelstown/castleknock.....see how close you are at 7am in the morning...you would probable get to Cork Quicker...the only similarity is the D.15...which may be 100 miles away in traffic...

There was a house for sale on Myhome.ie recently and the address was:

Old Cabra Road, Castleknock, Dublin 15!!

That is just stupid

Old cabra road isnt even Dublin 15!!!!!!

Hi, I lived in Inglewood from 1984 to 1998 and the address was Hartstown, Clonsilla D15, later shortened to Hartstown D15, I now live in Castlefield in Clonsilla village, as far as I can remeber and even today Castleknock stops where Carpenterstown begins, and it becomes Carpenterstown, you could nearly spit into Clonsilla from one side of the area, so therefore I would say it is Carpenterstown D15 in its own right and it does not belong to any area, although I have heard people older than myself refer to the are as Clonsilla, Blachardstown D15, ps who cares about what the Normans called it....and as for the Old Cabra rd D7 issue, in the l8 80's and early 90's the address at the top where the Navan road meets the old Cabra rd @ the Halfway House, this was changed(by Charlie Haughey style cllrs, planners etc, e.g. greedy money grabbing gits) to D7 for residents in Kempton and on the main road itself so they could get better prices for their homes, Castleknock, D15 etc was not a desirable address at the time however that changed in 1998 with the property price boom and in 2002/03 the residents of the afforementioned D7 area wanted it changed back to D15 to gain more money on the already overpriced properties and they approached the relevant authorities about this they were flatly refused and were accused of address snobbery which is exactly what it is and downright greed, (so far as I know the Halfway house owners wanted to remain D15 in the 1st place and had nothing to do with 1st change) and they were told it would never be changed back.

lads new site for people in the Luttrelstown RIverwood area on

if you interested in local info!

I had to have a laugh at someone claiming Tyrellstown is in Castleknock!!

Mind you, I've bought an apartment in the Phoenix Park Racecourse and people have tried telling me it's not Castleknock and is in fact Cabra...I just laughed at that person but shows very clearly, a lot of people don't know where Castleknock starts or ends.

I'd be the first to say the Phoenix Park Racecourse is more Navan Rd if anything (nothing wrong with that at all) but one of the entrances is off the Castleknock Rd and the address of the place is Castleknock Dublin 15 so who knows!?

Castleknock = townland
Carpentertown = townland
Porterstown = townland
Phoenix Park Race Course is off the Cavan Road so its actuall in Cavan

There should be a law against stealing townland names IMHO ( I dont live in Castleknock)

Castleknock = townland
Carpentertown = townland
Porterstown = townland
Phoenix Park Race Course is off the Cavan Road so its actuall in Cavan

There should be a law against stealing townland names IMHO ( I dont live in Castleknock)

Navan buddy, Navan Rd. ;)

New to this site, First Post!!

This debate intrigues me. I moved into Luttrellstown two years ago. I’m originally from the Southside but my wife is from Castleknock, Auburn Area. When we bought our house we did not care if it was Castleknock, Carpenterstown, Diswellstown, Lutterllstown ect. We bought it because it is a well-built house, in a great neighbourhood, which is close to the M50 and Dublin City Centre. We are very happy with our purchase.

As to if the residents of Riverwood and Luttrellstown are being snobs by calling their area Castleknock!! They are not being snobs, they are correct it is Castleknock. The deeds of my house state the address is Luttrellstown, Luttrelstown Glen, Castleknock, Dublin 15. This address is reconigised by Fingal CC and Dublin CC as well as Central Government and the legal profession.

Some posts say its nearer Clonsilla than Castleknock Village, this is correct. Just because it is near a border of one boundary does not make it part of that boundary. Every Continent, Country, County, City has a boundary. Clones is in Monaghan but borders the North and the South. Just because it’s closer to Belfast than it is to Dublin dose not make it part of the North, it is in the boundary of the South.

Dublin is a spread out city with many different main areas with sub areas in them. Example would be TALLAGHT, which has Fettercain, Old Bawn. Springfield, Killinarden Etc. BLANCHARDSTOWN with, Whitestown, Hartstown, Warrenstown, Watervile Etc.
CASTLEKNOCK is the same it has Deer Park, Georgian Village, Auburn, Laurel Lodge, Carpenterstown, Bramley, Luttrellstown Etc.

I use the Dublin Transport website for many things, they have a page where you plan your journey. The address is www.dto-journeyplanner.ie If you type in Luttrellstown as your starting point it will bring up many different road names with Castleknock beside them. Funnily enough if you type Roselawn it brings up Blanchardstown

The residents of Luttrellstown and Riverwood are not the snobs, the people who have difficulty in calling these areas Castleknock are some of the bitter people from older estates in Castleknock and those from surrounding areas, who seem to me, have an unhealthy obsession with Luttrellstown and Riverwood. Castleknock does not start and end at Myos! Live with it!

Many moons ago, when I looked at Carpenterstown, it was a small development by Park, and was called...Carpenterstown, Porterstown!!

Mat,
Go to the Ordnance Survey and get a map of townlands - u do't live in Castleknock :)

Mat,
Go to the Ordnance Survey and get a map of townlands - u do't live in Castleknock :)

Try reading my post again cerberos. I don't care what my address is. I happen to live in one of the best estates in the area so i'm not bitter about a name. You don't say where you live, which category do you fall into in my last paragraph?:) ;)

Mat,

Why??? that doesnt make any sense, townlands arent used anymore. Its DED's that are used, as per central government.

In answer to OP question (due to the change in moving from townlands to DEDs and much to cerberos' annoyance) yes carpenterstown really is in castleknock, per deeds, and as Mat said its recognised by Fingal CC and Dublin CC as well as Central Government and the legal profession.

Mat,
y it is a very nice estate, me in rural Meath, dont know if my townland is up market or not as it does not seem to matter.

Confused,
No not annoyed & have many friends & relations with "up market" addresses (all decided by builders charging more), just think the whole thing very funny.

Gotta run "keeping up appearances" is on tv.

:) :)

Mat,
Confused,
No not annoyed & have many friends & relations with "up market" addresses (all decided by builders charging more), just think the whole thing very funny.

:) :)

Very True in and agreement with you 100% and it does annoy me btw cos its just people being stupid. (like the 6W dublin post code, sheer messing!)

But in the case of carpenterstown its not the builders pulling a fast one. Its actually in castleknock due to DED's. Now whether DED's are better than townlands thats another debate, but since its the government that decided DED the way to go then thats what we stuck with.

Could be agrued its the government pulling a fast one for more stamp duty but again thats for another day.

Do ded'S really count? I live in the Terenure Rathfarnham DED,(Walkinstown) and granted my house is over priced, but I though that was more to do with postcodes than anything else. Could walkinstown turn into Rathfarnham?, makes no sense.

New podcast on Hidden Dublin (Newstalk 106, need iTunes) explores Ongar and Clonsilla. Pat Liddy explains what's what.

Funnily enough if you type Roselawn it brings up Blanchardstown

Why funnily enough??

Roselawn is in Blanchardstown, some people have changed the address to Castleknock though...its a perfectly lovely area as is Blanchardstown village..estate use this ploy all the time to sell houses in a "better" area

Funniest thing is the way some business's based in Blanchardstown have their address as Castleknock ie:Bradys in Castleknock also the restaurant over Cumiskys Pub on
Blackhorse Ave advertised themselves on the back of the Irish Times as Castleknock Dublin 15..thats really stretching it!!

Anyone advertising dishonestly can be reported to the Advertising Standards Authority at www.asai.ie

Back