Behaviour that annoys me about air travel...

Flying with Ryanair and I thought I would be helpful and bring my rubbish down to the stewardess.

As I handed her the rubbish she pointed to the back where the Cabin Crew work and made me put the rubbish in a black bag myself - kinda made me laugh though.

In the days before online check-in, the thing that used to annoy me most was those people who seem to take forever at the check-in desk. You hand in your ticket and your passport and get you bags checked - usually takes c.2 minutes in total. Can someone elighten me as to what those people who take c.10 minutes do be doing/talking about? Always wondered.

Don't start me on people who recline their seats!

As someone with long legs and who is unable to sleep on planes, I agree.

But, having read the story, they were on the second leg of a 20 hour flight, so I'm conflicted :eek:.

But you pay for the use of a chair - if it functions include recliner, why shouldn't you be able to use it? Don't get me wrong, I've had my fair share of annoying people in front who put the chair down immediately and don't move it for the whole flight, but i wouldn't complain because they are using the seat they paid for. If somebody put the seat down sharply and spilt hot tea/coffee/food that it a bit different.

I would pay a bit extra to fly an airline that has non reclining seats.

If the seat is meant to recline, why not use it to make your journey more comfortable? I don't get why people shouldn't be able to do that. The person behind them can recline their seat too if they wish. On most long haul flights that I have been on, the cabin crew ask people to bring their seats back up when the meal is being served. But if someone wants to sleep, I don't know how they can be forced to. On a 20 hour journey, there is no way that everyone is going to want to sleep/eat at the same time, so I guess there is always going to be fodder for conflict.

I'd tend to be on the side of the sleeper in that story. I've been able to eat my meal perfectly ok when the person in front of me reclined in their seat. 'Twas a bit more cramped than I would like, but it was totally doable. On a 20 hour flight, there would be several times that meals and drinks are served. I don't think its fair that some one who is trying to sleep should be woken up and made bring their seat back up every time the food or beverage cart shows up.

Whatever about people reclining to sleep on long haul flights, I don't understand why people can't undertake a two hour flight without lying back to have a snooze. There really is no justification for that when passengers are already sitting in cramped conditions, without you taking up the bit of space they have in front of them to stretch yourself out comfortably. On one flight recently I couldn't even read because the selfish tosser in front of me was completely blocking my light. The flight was from Brussels to Dublin, hardly a marathon journey.

There should be a book written on the etiquette of boarding and disembarking from aircraft.

Well, going on the general views on this thread:

1. Check in early if you want specific seats and don't expect other passengers to move around to accommodate you.

2. Ensure there is no space in the bin directly over your seat before storing your bags somewhere else.

3. Stay in your seat until the doors of the plane are opened.

4. Don't recline your seat

5. Listen to airport staff when they state that they are boarding certain rows or passengers with specific needs first, and don't just charge up to the gate regardless.

6. Get into your seat as quickly as possible to avoid blocking the aisle.

7. Don't travel business class with crying babies. (Controversial, this one!)

If the guy in front of me reclines his seat, I get my 6yo to sit there and tell him that he will get a huge ice-cream in the airport if he can kick the seat 100 times inside one minute

If the guy in front of me reclines his seat, I get my 6yo to sit there and tell him that he will get a huge ice-cream in the airport if he can kick the seat 100 times inside one minute

What if that person then "accidentally" spills hot tea/coffee on your child as they get out of their seat? :D

That should also be included in the etiquette - kicking backs of seats.

People like you also annoy me. I don't recline my seat when travelling in cattle class but I don't care if people in front of me do. They are perfectly entitled to.

People like you also annoy me. I don't recline my seat when travelling in cattle class but I don't care if people in front of me do. They are perfectly entitled to.

I only ever travel in cattle class; I'm not in banking :p

Back