Behaviour that annoys me about air travel...

People who make no effort whatsoever to get into their seats when the plane is being boarded, instead they stand blocking the aisle while they chat, take off their jackets, reach up to get something from their bags etc.

One thing I used to hate when I flew a lot, and it only seemed to be Irish and British people who did it, was everyone rising from their seats to queue for boarding even though they only called those in Row 1 - 10.

"My Row is 43 but I'm going to stand in the way even though it will be 5mins before they call Rows 40 - 40".

Yeah cos the place is going to leave without you! Ya muppet.

An even more annoying form of this is when everyone rises and create a human barricade when they announce "could those will mobility problems or small children please come to the boarding gate first". Real smart people.

The older I get the more relaxed I have become. I have bought into Airport entertainment at all stages. Great when family of twelve are swapping items between hold-luggage. Better again, the once-a-year traveller who takes on the experienced arguer from Ryanair as to why she is entitled to six items of hand luggage.

One thing I used to hate when I flew a lot, and it only seemed to be Irish and British people who did it, was everyone rising from their seats to queue for boarding even though they only called those in Row 1 - 10.

"My Row is 43 but I'm going to stand in the way even though it will be 5mins before they call Rows 40 - 40".

Yeah cos the place is going to leave without you! Ya muppet.

An even more annoying form of this is when everyone rises and create a human barricade when they announce "could those will mobility problems or small children please come to the boarding gate first". Real smart people.

I was just about to post this same point. The staff make it quite clear that they want to board from the back of the aircraft first (presumably to avoid congestion in the aisle) but a load of idiots with seats in the first half of the plane immediately jump up and join the queue. A lot of the time the staff let them board and, of course, they block the aisle standing right at the front putting up their bags and taking off their coats and folding them up etc. I don't see the point. Your seating has been assigned so you're not going to get a better seat just because you barge on first. Idiots.
Likewise the parents who think 'travelling with young children' means 'travelling with any offspring aged up to 25".

I've never been in Dublin Terminal Two but twice in Pier D in Dublin [the one that feels you've just walked to Co. Meath] I've had strangers approach me and ask me to put their luggage inside my bag

I've a fairly big sportsbag I use but I carry very little so you could fold it up to a fraction of its size

Seem like ordinary people, just chancing their arm and trying to avoid fees

But every time they ask me I've visions of some film I saw about drug trafficking in Malaysia and the drug mule was setup by the boss, he got framed then got hanged :eek:
It wasn't Midnight Express but I've seen that too

Wouldn't hang you in Ireland of course but I'd rather not have to spend time detained by security.

Who said rubber gloves and body cavity search????

After I stop my panic attack I just politely say, sorry I can't, there are rules about that
And then I get a dirty look :rolleyes:

Some people have no shame about chancing their arm with randomers

Wow, in all the times I hsve been through Dublin airport (and it is a lot) I have never been approached by randomers asking me to smuggle their jocks abroad :) you must have the words "Approach me, I'm a mule and I'm here to help" floating in the air over your head !

Maybe I just have a friendly look about me :)

Or maybe look like a sucker

I thought it was fairly common, I'm sure I'm not the only one who gets approached

Wow. That is amazing. That has never happened to me either & I have flown out of Dubin airport dozens of times. They must be right muppets asking you that seeing as it is one of the questions that is asked of you at check in.

Wasn't there a case (about 20 years or so ago) of an Irish woman at Heathrow agreeing to carry something that a friend asked her to put in her bag, and it turned out to be a bomb inside a teddy bear?

PS You don't wind up in Co Meath when you walk the length of the new T2. You wind up in Donegal. I bought me a new pair of NIKE cross trainers just to get me thru Dublin and Heathrow on my next trip to London.

I bring sandwiches and a flask and stop for a picnic just outside where the closed down pub used to be. It breaks the journey.

I've never been in Dublin Terminal Two but twice in Pier D in Dublin I've had strangers approach me and ask me to put their luggage inside my bag

I know a Polish lady who did that for her underage kids as she was not travelling with them.

Also, families that want to sit together but wait until the last moment to check in. Then expect other people, who checked in early to be sure of a window seat/a seat near the front or whatever to be moved around to accommodate them.

If I fire up my laptop during a flight to do some work and the person sitting beside me blatantly is trying to read my screen. I have my company desktop background set on my laptop and I had somebody in the row behind me once lean over and ask me something believing I worked in the music industry as he saw some company initials and then spent ages asking me was I sure I couldn't get music played etc. I work for an industry that couldn't be further from the music industry. Nosy person.

People who fall asleep and end up virtually leaning on you. I will happily poke them awake and say 'excuse me'.

Passengers with very bad breath who continue to talk at you even when you don't respond too much!

I once spent four hours sitting next to a couple - both of whom were extremely overweight so I was pushed almost into the aisle. That wasn't the problem - the problem was they spent almost the entire 4 hours kissing - seriously 4 hours of groping, kissing, groaning - horrible noises. I kept elbowing him, getting up and walking down to the back of the plane, anything I could but they didn't come up for air even once. :mad:

In hindsight I should have just asked them to stop!

I was like a feckin demon getting off the plane - saw them at luggage collection doing the same thing, she was leaning against a pillar he was on top of her!

I once spent four hours sitting next to a couple - both of whom were extremely overweight so I was pushed almost into the aisle. That wasn't the problem - the problem was they spent almost the entire 4 hours kissing - seriously 4 hours of groping, kissing, groaning - horrible noises. I kept elbowing him, getting up and walking down to the back of the plane, anything I could but they didn't come up for air even once. :mad:

Maybe they were too big to fit in the toilet ;) ;)

Also, families that want to sit together but wait until the last moment to check in. Then expect other people, who checked in early to be sure of a window seat/a seat near the front or whatever to be moved around to accommodate them.

It happened to me recently when a woman asked me to move in to the centre as she wanted an aisle seat. I just said to her "so do I". She stared at me for a moment then stormed off.

If people want a particular seat then they can bloody well check in online or at the airport in plenty of time or better still pay in advance online. I had paid in advance (€20 on aer lingus) for a window seat in the past only to have someone ask me to move. They got short shrift from me.

Families and children sitting across different rows and they pass sweets among themselves, making noise, bothering everyone and twisting and turning to talk to each other.

Giving sweets to children on a plane is only going to make them hyper

And if you can't go a few hours without sweets or eating then that's not good at all
I'm not saying let children sit on their own or ignore them but no need for all this sweet passing

While I'm here I'll include hen partys split among different seats and they also insist on turning and shouting to each other.
Gangs of lads are pretty quiet in comparison from my experience

It happened to me recently when a woman asked me to move in to the centre as she wanted an aisle seat. I just said to her "so do I". She stared at me for a moment then stormed off.

Years ago I was on a Virgin Atlantic flight from New York to London. Luckily I got a seat at the front of economy where I could stretch out my legs and not have to endure the seat in front being reclined.

Some wagon from North America started to make a nuisance of herself to the stewards cos they couldn't upgrade her to business class. She threw a hissy fit about the perceived injustice. The stewards tried to placate her by offering the best seat available in economy, which was beside me. She started to throw the head about this as it was a 'middle of three' seat. I had considered offering her my aisle seat, but because she was being so obnoxious to the crew, I ignored her.

After much muttering and snarking, she settled down, 'til a patch of turbulence caused a glass of red wine to spill all over her jacket. Then she started to cry.

That was one long flight :rolleyes:

What a cheek. Who do some people think they are?

Myself and a friend were travelling to Manchester once and had deliberately chosen, when checking in, a centre and aisle seat because my friend had recently had surgery and didn't want anyone sitting to her right where they could accidentally elbow her. We were paged at the airport and asked if we would mind changing seats as a family wanted to travel together. My friend, being kind, agreed as she could see that parents would need to be with small children. I saw the family getting off the plane and the youngest of them looked about twenty. Totally selfish behaviour and I will definitely not agree to swap seats again unless I get an assurance there are very small kids involved.

Back