Key Post UK State Pension - Make voluntary contributions to qualify for UK pension on top of Irish pension

I checked with UK HMRC in Tyneside just now on: +441912037010. I made a bank transfer on August 1st. They confirmed today that they have received the money, but it has not yet been allocated to specific years. They asked me which years I wanted the money allocated to. They said the next step (allocation of the money to years) takes up to 8 weeks from date of payment, and I am in a queue.

Hey all,

I applied for a reissue of my national insurance number over 4 weeks ago and still haven't heard anything. I worked in the UK in 2001. For anyone in the same boat that had to apply for their NI number, approximately how long did it take to come? I can't proceed with my pension application until I get it.

Thanks

I can't be exact tonight, but I think it was between 6 and 8 weeks for me. That was in the first half of last year.

Hey all,

I applied for a reissue of my national insurance number over 4 weeks ago and still haven't heard anything. I worked in the UK in 2001. For anyone in the same boat that had to apply for their NI number, approximately how long did it take to come? I can't proceed with my pension application until I get it.

Thanks
if you don't get your NI number by say end October; post in the CF83 and include a letter that you have requested your NI number as you no longer have a record of it, and you will forward on receipt.

Each year purchased entitles you to an extra 1/35th of the UK State pension or an extra £185 a year.

it was this line that I thought should have been 275. the actual amount might have changed but I think the 185 implies that you are entitled to 1/52th for each year of contributions. Again I might have misinterpreted something so apologies if that is the case
Whats the response this? Dont thinkni saw anything. Seems an important question that may have gone unanswered.

HI All,
I wanted to post to say a huge THANK YOU for all the excellent info here! I stumbled across this forum I can't even remember how but after reading all the posts, put in my application and received a letter yesterday that I've been approved for class 2 contributions!!

I had looked into this in the past briefly and dismissed it when I'd seen something about it elsewhere and thought I wasn't eligible as I was self-employed or in full time education for a lot of my time in the UK so had patchy NI contributions (I was born in Scotland and moved to Ireland when I was 27). But with the info from here, I checked my NI contributions, saw I had 3 years full credits from age 16-19 whilst still in school and therefore met eligibility to apply. I still wasn't sure if I would get class 2 as my final year (2006-7) in Scotland when I was working full time was made up from part time self-employment and part-time employment and I've long since shredded my tax returns from then so didn't have supporting docs to send. I've been working for the HSE consistently since I moved here so that was straight forward at least!

Nevertheless, I pulled together my application explaining my circumstances and submitted it online on 3/9/24. Letter received yesterday dated 16/9/24 which was much quicker than I expected (the how long before I get a reply tool on gov.uk said it would be November).

I'm so delighted and even tho I've a good 20 years until retirement, it puts a whole different slant on my retirement planning!

Many many thanks again to all who have pulled together and posted all the information on this (and answered the numerous questions along the way). I found the 1st posts by DannyBoy a great how to guide.

For anyone wondering if they should bother, do it!! It's pretty straight forward and doesn't even cost the price of a stamp with the online application now!

Lets just hope the rules dont change in the future and we re all left high and dry with voluntary contributions paid in between
Again, I will repeat.

Whilst none of us can predict the future; we have to make decisions based on what we believe to be the most likely outcome.

In this instance, whilst the scheme may be closed to future applicants; I do not believe anyone currently paying contributions will be removed.

Lets just hope the rules dont change in the future and we re all left high and dry with voluntary contributions paid in between
Obviously that is a potential (but I believe small) risk and each of us has to decide for ourselves if we're willing to take that risk! For me the spin I'll put on the worst case scenario is that I've contributed towards my parents and sister's (and family) UK pensions. Best case....incredible return on investment and much more comfortable retirement!

HI All,
I wanted to post to say a huge THANK YOU for all the excellent info here! I stumbled across this forum I can't even remember how but after reading all the posts, put in my application and received a letter yesterday that I've been approved for class 2 contributions!!

I had looked into this in the past briefly and dismissed it when I'd seen something about it elsewhere and thought I wasn't eligible as I was self-employed or in full time education for a lot of my time in the UK so had patchy NI contributions (I was born in Scotland and moved to Ireland when I was 27). But with the info from here, I checked my NI contributions, saw I had 3 years full credits from age 16-19 whilst still in school and therefore met eligibility to apply. I still wasn't sure if I would get class 2 as my final year (2006-7) in Scotland when I was working full time was made up from part time self-employment and part-time employment and I've long since shredded my tax returns from then so didn't have supporting docs to send. I've been working for the HSE consistently since I moved here so that was straight forward at least!

Nevertheless, I pulled together my application explaining my circumstances and submitted it online on 3/9/24. Letter received yesterday dated 16/9/24 which was much quicker than I expected (the how long before I get a reply tool on gov.uk said it would be November).

I'm so delighted and even tho I've a good 20 years until retirement, it puts a whole different slant on my retirement planning!

Many many thanks again to all who have pulled together and posted all the information on this (and answered the numerous questions along the way). I found the 1st posts by DannyBoy a great how to guide.

For anyone wondering if they should bother, do it!! It's pretty straight forward and doesn't even cost the price of a stamp with the online application now!
Great to hear. I was like you and only realised recently I might be successful. I am right at the beginning of the process. I have read all the posts and feeling nervous but positive. Only worked 2 years but over 3 tax years. Waiting for my NI number to be posted to me. Spoke to a lovely lady on Monday so should be here in 10 days.

Just on the online did you provide any proof or support or just add in each employment as per the online fields.

Great to hear. I was like you and only realised recently I might be successful. I am right at the beginning of the process. I have read all the posts and feeling nervous but positive. Only worked 2 years but over 3 tax years. Waiting for my NI number to be posted to me. Spoke to a lovely lady on Monday so should be here in 10 days.

Just on the online did you provide any proof or support or just add in each employment as per the online fields.
I just filled in each employment and self employment as per the fields. I didn't send any supporting documents but there is a box where you can add any additional info you want them to know so I just explained about my part time self employment/part time employment just before I left Scotland and that I have been working full time here since.

I just filled in each employment and self employment as per the fields. I didn't send any supporting documents but there is a box where you can add any additional info you want them to know so I just explained about my part time self employment/part time employment just before I left Scotland and that I have been working full time here since.
Thank you that was exactly what I was wondering. Will add in additional info into that box.

Folks - this thread is to help people apply for & pay voluntary NICs for UK state pension.

Feel free to start your own thread if you want a debate.

It wont be happening here.

Absolutely don't pay anyone!

You don't need to pay NI contributions just yet until they come back to you.
I’ve a complicated case - worked in Channel Islands . Have JY social security number and NINO . Is it worth paying somebody to process for me. Provision under reciprocal agreements

I’m now at the stage where I just pay my NICS annually having “caught up” from 2006, two years ago. I have three years to go until I have the full 35 years paid.

For the most recent tax year (2023 to 2024) I received my annual demand by post and paid my NIC by bank transfer …on 5th May 2024.

My pension forecast has finally updated this morning, almost 5 months later.

Last edited:
So, I paid almost 5 months ago too but forecast is still not updated. They have said it was received but not yet updated. However my pension started earlier last month on the old rate. They said they would pay any backmoney due once the forecast has been updated by HMRC. I will follow that up with HMRC again now. I am still not overly concerned and trust they will get to me eventually.

Back