Key Post UK State Pension - Make voluntary contributions to qualify for UK pension on top of Irish pension

Hi,

I'm just wondering if I might be eligible to apply for the UK pension? My case isn't straightforward as I worked for approximately 17 months full time in the UK from August 2002 until December 2003. I then studied in the UK for a year and was paid a bursary of £600 a month as the profession I was studying for at the time was in short supply in the UK. My course fees were also paid for. In total I spent approximately 2.5 years in the UK. Would anyone know if being paid a bursary while studying would go towards NI contributions?
Many thanks

Thanks dannyboyD. I did read the key post and FAQ and most of the posts. In some posts people who worked less than 3 years found they were eligible. I was just wondering if because the course I did in the UK straight after i worked there paid a monthly bursary of £600 that perhaps it would have gone towards NI contributions. Probably wishful thinking. I have started the ball rolling and have applied for my NI number so I'll see what happens. Great informative page.

From the FAQ

I have an unusual work history / worked some years & not others / self-employed / ran away to join a circus
Complete CF83 and add a cover letter - the worst they can do is say no and you can always try an appeal.

Thanks Dannyboy. I read that. I suppose my question was whether anyone knew if being paid a bursary while studying would account for any NI contributions. I will apply anyways.

My case isn't straightforward as I worked for approximately 17 months full time in the UK from August 2002 until December 2003. I then studied in the UK for a year and was paid a bursary of £600 a month as the profession I was studying for at the time was in short supply in the UK.
I worked for even less in the UK and I was allowed to make Class 3 contributions.

I doubt you were paying NI contributions when on a bursary though.

I worked for less than two years but it did span over three tax years which seems to be similar to you. I studied also and was allocated extra years so my record showed 5 years and so far I’ve topped that up to 20 years with class 2. Get the NI number and create a MyGov account and see how many years you have there first!

I worked for less than two years but it did span over three tax years which seems to be similar to you. I studied also and was allocated extra years so my record showed 5 years and so far I’ve topped that up to 20 years with class 2. Get the NI number and create a MyGov account and see how many years you have there first!
Great thanks so much for your reply @Zizigirl

Hi, I sent in the money to buy back years last week on Monday, I looked online today and no sign of anything. Is it in the 'check progress' section that you would see it?? Am I expecting too much to expect it to be there this soon? I sent it by bank transfer.

Any advice appreciated

Hi, I sent in the money to buy back years last week on Monday, I looked online today and no sign of anything. Is it in the 'check progress' section that you would see it?? Am I expecting too much to expect it to be there this soon? I sent it by bank transfer.

Any advice appreciated
It would appear there is a time lag of 6 months or more in getting the money allocated to the appropriate years and reflected on line at the moment (I've been waiting since March!). If you are concerned you could always call the number (approx 30 min wait time) to have receipt of your payment confirmed, or write a follow up letter detailing your payment and what years you would like to allocate the money to (but equally the lead time for reply to such letters is showing 1 year on line). Good luck

Thanks for your reply. I had hoped it would be sooner. Am I correct that it will appear online in the ‘ check progress’ section???

I’ll give it till next week and then phone

Thanks again

Thanks for your reply. I had hoped it would be sooner. Am I correct that it will appear online in the ‘ check progress’ section???

I’ll give it till next week and then phone

Thanks again
I sent the payment by bank transfer on 5th March and the record was updated yesterday, 20th August. I only ever checked the in progress section when I sent over the application form and was waiting anxiously for it to be processed. I know other people on this thread have phoned them a week after sending the money just to check they have received it.

Thanks. That took quite a while. I may phone in a few days

Once you saw it in the in progress section did you phone them to allocate the years?

Thanks

Thanks. That took quite a while. I may phone in a few days

Once you saw it in the in progress section did you phone them to allocate the years?
I phoned them to allocate the years a couple of days before sending the money but other people have done it afterwards so either way seems to work.

I made my payment at start of April, having rung them a few days previously telling them which years I would be paying.

Still nothing showing on my account, but I rang them last week and they confirmed that there was a payment received and which years it would be allocated to.

She seemed confused as to why it wasn't reflected in my online record so she escalated it to another team.

Finally got accepted to pay class 2 NICs approx 16 years back dated.
Does any know if you can pay through a Bank Of Ireland
Ie just got letter but no pay slip
Spider

Back