Ryanair making it difficult for customers to get refunds

I know it's sometimes unfashionable but I'm a huge fan of Ryanair which is a true homegrown Irish success story.
I have an upcoming flight in July with them.It's only a short hop to London as part of an onward flight but I'll be happy to take a voucher off them.I fly frequently with them so will always be able to use the voucher.
The onward flight is with Easyjet and I'll shortly be able to re-arrange those flights at no extra cost for the same time next year when the Summer 2021 schedules are released.
Lufthansa are also offering similar terms for our cancelled long haul flights at Easter and I expect to avail of Aer Lingus's voucher scheme for a long haul flight in August.
There's something odd about people happy to accept breaks in their mortgage payments because of Covid-19 but insisting airlines repay flight costs instantly, particularly as there's a good chance that airline might go bankrupt if it was to attempt to do so.

There's something odd about people happy to accept breaks in their mortgage payments because of Covid-19 but insisting airlines repay flight costs instantly, particularly as there's a good chance that airline might go bankrupt if it was to attempt to do so.
Well, let's apply the same logic then. A borrower who accepts a break will be required to pay interest in full for the duration of the payment break. If Ryanair are imposing a "break" on their obligation to refund fares, they should likewise pay interest to the customer.

And Ryanair is cash rich with billions in reserves, plus it owns virtually all of its fleet outright. There's zero chance that repaying hard-up customers will bankrupt it. (In fairness, that doesn't apply to every airline.).

I am due to fly with them to Marseille later this month. They are still selling flights there. I can "check in" online. Yet they are saying that 99% of their flights have been cancelled until July or later.

Are they still flying to France this month?

If you don't check in you will be treated as a "no show". You lose your payment.
If you do check in, then they will have to contact you and let you know that your flight has been cancelled. So you will be able to claim a refund.

If they are not flying that route later this month then they should not be advertising this route for sale nor asking customers to check in.

Maybe by leaving it so late, they are hoping that people cancel and then the customer loses their payment.

Their website is still showing multiple of routes for sale despite the company announcing that they are cancelling most of their flights.

Its not a case of liking or disliking Ryanair for me. Also I used to manage services and support desks at the start of my career so understand managing excess volume... and it can be done. Delighted the EU is taking a stance instead of sitting on the fence. They just don't want to give money back right now. Vouchers will be forgotten about or used only in a certain way.... as Ryanair wishes (T&Cs). Consumers change their right when they accept them that's why they are on "offer". My issue is that they confirmed I was getting a refund then have asked me to change my mind or wait. I am patient generally but this is very bad treatment of customers.

Agree 100%.

I hope we now see our acting Government do a quick about turn and stop trying to help the airlines force vouchers down our throats.

By all means, let the airlines try to incentive us by offering vouchers on more generous terms, but pony at the absolute discretion of the customer. Being almost blackmailed into taking the vouchers, with suggestions that we won't get our refund for months to come, is simply wrong and needs to be stopped.

Being almost blackmailed into taking the vouchers, with suggestions that we won't get our refund for months to come, is simply wrong and needs to be stopped.

That's it in a nutshell! It's an appalling bullying attitude to the customer. When an organization behaves like that, I just refuse to do business with them. I don't need that attitude and I prefer to walk away.

This airline's apparent attempt to illegally pocket millions of its customers' money is not just a consumer protection issue but also a challenge to the rule of law. It's time the media started covering it from that perspective.

This airline's apparent attempt to illegally pocket millions of its customers' money is not just a consumer protection issue but also a challenge to the rule of law. It's time the media started covering it from that perspective.

Not to mention, our acting Government!

Last edited:
Hopefully success at last, got notification today my refund for cancelled April flights has finally been processed.
119F5D76-28D2-4F34-AB12-C1416811373A.jpeg

I know it's sometimes unfashionable but I'm a huge fan of Ryanair which is a true homegrown Irish success story.
I have an upcoming flight in July with them.It's only a short hop to London as part of an onward flight but I'll be happy to take a voucher off them.I fly frequently with them so will always be able to use the voucher.
The onward flight is with Easyjet and I'll shortly be able to re-arrange those flights at no extra cost for the same time next year when the Summer 2021 schedules are released.
Lufthansa are also offering similar terms for our cancelled long haul flights at Easter and I expect to avail of Aer Lingus's voucher scheme for a long haul flight in August.

Um As someone who has a mortgage and do not think that mortgage breaks are a good idea at all......I suggest you check how much Ryanair got from our govt and the UK govt to bolster their already huge capital....they have the means to pay it back and just won't.

The vast majority of Ryanair flights are booked on-line I would imagine, using an automated service. Tap, tap, tap and your flight is booked and paid for with a debit/credit card.
I'm not very IT savvy, but I would imagine an automated service like this could easily be reversed where flights have been cancelled and tap, tap, tap or pat, pat, pat if you will, and hey presto! your money is back in your account.
Isn't that the normal course of affairs if a flight is cancelled?

We booked flights in February with Ryanair to travel in July

Currently the flight is scheduled on Ryanair website to leave as scheduled and they are still selling seats.

We have not checked in to date

Currently under the Department of foreign affairs and trade (DFA) we are to avoid all non-essential travel our destination.

Should we check in as Ryan Air will see us as a no show and not give us a voucher/refund? This is my understanding

We have insurance but they have advised that we should ask for a refund from Ryanair but if we have checked in and the flight leaves on the date then Ryanair will see us as a no show

Appreciate any advice

Should we check in as Ryan Air will see us as a no show and not give us a voucher/refund? This is my understanding

If the flight goes ahead, you will not get a refund, and insurance will only cover you if there is a DFA travel restriction in place at the time.

You didn't mention your destination, but there is an expectation travel restrictions will be lifted or reduced in the next week or so. It'll likely depend on how that country is faring as to whether the advisory will be lifted or not.

Back