Ryanair making it difficult for customers to get refunds

I have just received an email from Ryanair offering me a full refund for my cancelled May flight or re routing option. I have applied for a refund on the link provided and I will have it in due course. That sounds positive..
I have received several of those, joer, over the past weeks. I was also, at one time, pleasantly surprised. But have since received 2 (unwanted, unusable) vouchers for my 3 cancelled flights. I have tried to get a response from their chatbot but am not convinced it actually ever does anything.

I have received several of those, joer, over the past weeks. I was also, at one time, pleasantly surprised. But have since received 2 (unwanted, unusable) vouchers for my 3 cancelled flights. I have tried to get a response from their chatbot but am not convinced it actually ever does anything.
I am one week waiting for an agent to respond on their Chat facility!

Ryanair email claiming they are now entitled somehow under EU to deny refunds! We were at the start of the queue so doubt anyone has seen a cent yet. I have made a complaint to the Air regulator. It's downright scary that we've trusted these people with millions of flights yet they are unable to deal with refunds or answer straighforward concerns.

FYI. Email received yesterday from Ryanair. I am happy enough that I can get refund at end of 12 months if unused credit. The 12 months limit was my greatest concern (I have <€200 in voucher). Sister however has €1600 tied-up with them so different circumstances and refund preferred.

You have recently received an email with a voucher code to the value of your original booking.

Please note that this voucher is valid for 12 Months and can be used for your future travel plans, please note that if you do not use the voucher the voucher before the expiry date you will receive a full cash refund, in the event you use the voucher in part you will also receive the option of a voucher for the balance or a cash refund after the expire date.

Please click on the link below to accept the voucher

That's actually pretty smart by Ryanair. Bear in mind the risk even if small that airlines won't be around in 12 months to honor the cash refund element

The mail I refer to came in overnight and they need to make a direct statement on the refunds. We should be able to receive clear and consistent information directly from Ryanair. If you ask for a refund and do not retract that request why would you get a voucher, or alternatives instead? Its clear they are trying to get people who have asked for a refund to change their minds. What bothers me is that they are suddenly looking to the Montreal aviation clause in EU law. If that is deemed to apply then no airline has an obligation to refund.

Seeing Ryanair live chat opens at 6am I tried again, and at 06.04 got a reply from their agent. She was very pleasant, found two of my vouchers and recorded my voucher refusal in the system. No voucher had been issued for the earliest cancelled flight, so she couldn't deal with that. I feel I have moved a step forward, but no definite dates have been given.

FYI. Email received yesterday from Ryanair. I am happy enough that I can get refund at end of 12 months if unused credit. The 12 months limit was my greatest concern (I have <€200 in voucher). Sister however has €1600 tied-up with them so different circumstances and refund preferred.

You have recently received an email with a voucher code to the value of your original booking.

Please note that this voucher is valid for 12 Months and can be used for your future travel plans, please note that if you do not use the voucher the voucher before the expiry date you will receive a full cash refund, in the event you use the voucher in part you will also receive the option of a voucher for the balance or a cash refund after the expire date.

Please click on the link below to accept the voucher
I also received this email overnight. I opted for cash refund on March 20th. I have been trying to get a CS agent online for a week now.
I am inclined to not click to accept this latest voucher as I would prefer the cash, sooner rather than later.

Hi.tommygirl and Slim I am also in the exact same position.I am weary about clicking to accept on the voucher also.I suspect that they will find a way to lessen the value of the voucher when we use it by extra fees etc if we settle for it .I also would prefer the cash even though i might have to wait some time.Any advice or comments would be welcome.Kind regards.

Last edited:
Hi.tommygirl and Slim I am also in the exact same position.I am weary about clicking to accept on the voucher also.I suspect that they will find a way to lessen the value of the voucher when we use it by extra fees etc if we settle for it .I also would prefer the cash even though i might have to wait some time.Any advice or comments would be welcome.Kind regards.

Again, I am in the same position..
they are saying that they will give cash if the voucher isn’t used, but they have changed things so many times who is to say they won’t change again in a months time?
Also, It appears that the Irish Government along with 11 other governments are lobbying the EU on behalf of airlines to allow the airlines give vouchers instead of money back. This is a dangerous president.

Yes the airlines have EU law in their favour. However when that section was devised I doubt anyone predicted that it would not be a war but a virus that would force the cancellation of flights. I am hugely disturbed by people claiming to want to protect their business when they may not have commerce in any case because of a drop in global population.....wanting to travel.

Yes the airlines have EU law in their favour.

Sorry, but that is not correct.

Current legislation entitles passengers to a full refund within 7 days.

The airlines, supported by some governments are lobbying the EU for a change to the current rules.

Guys

I am trying to keep these threads useful.

This thread is about Ryanair and Ryanair only.

Please do not discuss other airlines in this thread - your post will be deleted.

If you want to get a refund from Aer Lingus, start a thread with Aer Lingus in the title.

Do not discuss government policy - there is another thread for that.

Brendan

Apologies but I am being factually correct.
Check EU regulation 261/2004..pg 2 no. 14 ......this is why Ryanair is suddenly joining forces with other airlines.
"As under the Montreal Convention, obligations on oper- ating air carriers should be limited or excluded in cases where an event has been caused by extraordinary circumstances which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken. Such circum- stances may, in particular, occur in cases of political instability, meteorological conditions incompatible with the operation of the flight concerned, security risks, unexpected flight safety shortcomings and strikes that affect the operation of an operating air carrier."

You have the right to ask, complain, contact them but if the EU decides to allow this we are potentially getting nothing. I complained about their treatment of customers.

Minor update .... Ryanair boss was on BBC stating refunds will happen but they will just take time currently. Why they can just send 1 email to all of us who asked for refunds stating that is beyond me. I refuse to believe they couldn't do that one thing to address customers concerns correctly. In fairness they are the only airline to speak publicly so a little credit due.

I applied for a refund on cancelled April flights back in late March. Went through the usual 20 day processing time updates and further mails apologising for the delay. The voucher then arrived this week. I did not accept it. Got through to an agent via the chatbot at 7.30 this morning. I was only waiting a couple of minutes. Explained I didn’t want the voucher. He acknowledged my request and confirmed he would put me on the refund que and would get e mail confirmation of such within 2 business days. The e mail arrived about an hour later. I also heard O Leary on BBC this morning who maybe seems to have had a change of heart but did say they would process cash refunds, but it would take time. Confirmation mail attached for reference. Maybe it’s progress, we will see

Attachments

• C473DB8A-783E-4812-8E51-C9E4686241B8.jpeg
    C473DB8A-783E-4812-8E51-C9E4686241B8.jpeg
    785.8 KB · Views: 183
Back