Ryanair making it difficult for customers to get refunds

After months of checking my credit card account in expectation of my refund, I tried the chat service again today an, surprisingly, I got a Customer Care agent today. He advised me that, as I had not requested a refund for the second time, on receipt of the voucher email, I was not in the refund queue. He said he would request the refund for me and it should take a maximum of 6 weeks. We'll see!
Update: Ryanair credited my credit card account with the value of the first booking today.

I had another go at the live chat. Told it would be a few weeks. I pointed out I had already been waiting 4months, and said could he at least tell me was the refund likely to arrive this year or next!
Slim you have given me hope!

Interestingly, after the chat session a comment box popped up, asking was I happy or not! And what could I suggest to improve matters. I wrote that the agents should be supplied with factual answers to the most likely questions, rather than having to fudge and try to mollify customers with prevarications.

Is it any wonder that people are flying abroad for a holiday.. It would be less hassle than trying to get a refund, it would seem.

Thats precisely what they wanted.

And to be clear I formally complained to the regulator about the way people were treated...... communication needed to be as clear as the speeches delivered via Ryanair management. Unfortunately when there is a problem in Ireland there is a lot of "calm down.... its all addressed" from spokespeople via media when in fact the companies (and I daresay political parties) are in complete turmoil and disarray. We just saw very sadly what chaos ensues, when a low cost operation experiences a crisis.

I had flights with Ryanair for mid April. Still no refund. Has anyone got refunds for mid April flights yet?

I am currently on Ryanair Help. Thirty minutes ago I typed my question. All I can see on the screen is my question looking back at me. Nothing to say that there is an operator waiting at the other end to help. Is there someone at the other end? What is the normal wait time?

I am currently on Ryanair Help. Thirty minutes ago I typed my question. All I can see on the screen is my question looking back at me. Nothing to say that there is an operator waiting at the other end to help. Is there someone at the other end? What is the normal wait time?
It varies. Does it even say that the next available rep will be along? I was waiting 2/3 days before I gave up, months ago, 5 minutes two weeks ago!

Does it even say that the next available rep will be along?
This is the problem, it doesn't say anything at all. You type your question and then......nothing.

I waited an hour. Then a message appears on the screen from an agent.

Here is an update. The Ryanair website states that all April refunds will be processes by the 18th July. It is now past that date so I decide to contact them. We are told not to do this as we are taking up valuable time. I contacted them because I thought that they had lost my refund claim.

The agent then tells me that my refund will be processed by 31st July. Maybe they should tell us this and update their website.

It doesn't help that Ryanair are telling us that they are doing their refunds in order.......but they are not. Some people with flights in May are being refunded while some April flight refunds are still outstanding.

I had flights with Ryanair for mid April. Still no refund. Has anyone got refunds for mid April flights yet?
I got refund on 18th June for my cancelled Ryan Air Flight - Flight was 11 th April returning on 18th April. I am waiting on further refund for a July Flight which was cancelled on May 20....when on helpline there was a standard message say it may take a further 3 weeks (therefore not been paid by end of July deadline on there web page..... I am also unsure if the April / May timeframe on website relates to travel dates or does it mean when flight was cancelled.....Ryan Air seem to be faster than Aerlingus

Further email from Ryanair that the second refund has now been processed and will be in account within 5-7 days. We shall see.

Update: Second and final fare credited to cc account on 1st August. Case now closed. In fairness, if I had got through to the chat bot in March or April, this would probably have been sorted a lot earlier.

Email received today about my refund request for a cancelled August flight. They are trying to change my mind and offer a voucher instead of a refund. It’s very open ended as to when I will get the refund but I prefer the refund. “Customers who choose not to accept a voucher will receive their refund in due course once this crisis has passed. Over the coming weeks and months, we will be working hard to process refund requests as quickly as we can.”
Separately, Aer Lingus changed another flight from morning departure to evening departure a few days after I had requested a voucher. Had I not requested a voucher I could presumably have requested a refund instead. I don’t like companies holding on to my money.

Email received today about my refund request for a cancelled August flight. They are trying to change my mind and offer a voucher instead of a refund. It’s very open ended as to when I will get the refund but I prefer the refund. “Customers who choose not to accept a voucher will receive their refund in due course once this crisis has passed. Over the coming weeks and months, we will be working hard to process refund requests as quickly as we can.”
You now need to click on the link in the email to get through to a chat bot and eventually a human rep to confirm your wish to receive refund. Otherwise, you will be in the never-ending queue.

I paid for Ryanair flights, half by gift voucher and half by visa payment. We were due to fly last April.

I have now received the following.

"I acknowledge receipt of your recent refund request.

We confirm that your refund request has been processed. As your booking reference was paid with a gift voucher, this voucher is now available to be redeemed again."

Can they do this? I am looking for a full cash refund. Also I do not know how long the replacement gift voucher will last for.

Considering that only part of the booking was paid for by a gift voucher, can they insist that I take a voucher for the full amount?

I paid for Ryanair flights, half by gift voucher and half by visa payment

When you used the gift card to purchase flights I would have thought that the gift card was "used" and deemed to be spent?

If Ryanair accepted the gift card as payment and then cancelled their own flights I don't see how they can expect you to accept a replacement gift card, either for the full amount or even for a portion of the amount.

When you used the gift card to purchase flights I would have thought that the gift card was "used" and deemed to be spent?

I purchased my flights using the gift card back in October 2019 for flights in April 2020. I spent the money on the gift card.

The expiry date on my gift card was June 2020.

Ryanair cancelled my flights back in April. I understand that by law they are required to refund me within a week? They didn't.

My expectations were that I would get a cash refund.

I am now being told in August 2020, ten months after I spent the money on the gift card and four months after my flight did not fly due to Ryanair cancelling the flight, that my gift card can be redeemed again. Even though the gift card expired in June 2020, two months ago and is now out of date.

Their email said that "this voucher is now available to be redeemed again." However it expired in June 2020. How can I redeem an expired gift card and under what terms and conditions?

Anyone in a similar situation?

Back