Ryanair making it difficult for customers to get refunds

Mid April flights cancelled and still nothing back......not even an email to say that money is on the way...….....the thing is, I don't even know if they are processing my refund or if it has been lost........just like my expected parcel from UPS, due last week.

Lots of companies and people in companies not doing their job properly....

Also mid April flights cancelled but I have received a couple of emails (automated, I suppose), the last one about a week ago:

Dear Customer,

I refer to your recent request for a refund on your booking confirmation XXXXX.

Due to the high volume of flight cancellations due to COVID 19, we are experiencing an unprecedented high volume of requests. We are currently working through the backlog and ask that you please bear with us.

Please do not resubmit your request.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Yours sincerely,

That's disappointing to hear that April flights are not processed yet. We would have been travelling next week. Amazing how they can take payment instantly but can't reverse the transaction too quickly. It's hardly that complex

I'm talking about March! Ours was one of the first cancelled. So much for the promise we would only be waiting 3 months.

I got a refund on 14/06 for cancelled flight 03/04. Waiting for 2 other Ryanair refunds, mid April and early May. One seems to have become invisible, the other is live according to recent emails. It's a lucky dip.

thanks Leo,

we are going to Germany, do you reckon we should check in?

why would you check in?

We're booked to France for early July, based on the latest update yesterday, the DFA travel advisory will still be in place for that date, so in theory we're covered by insurance (I took out the travel disruption add-on back in March). But I still hold out hope Ryanair will cancel the flight.

AIUI if we cancel we get the taxes/charges back, but I'll be waiting until the last minute, I've already put the insurance claim in (as we had to cancel the accommodation when the balance was due a few weeks ago).

why would you check in?

We're booked to France for early July, based on the latest update yesterday, the DFA travel advisory will still be in place for that date, so in theory we're covered by insurance (I took out the travel disruption add-on back in March). But I still hold out hope Ryanair will cancel the flight.

AIUI if we cancel we get the taxes/charges back, but I'll be waiting until the last minute, I've already put the insurance claim in (as we had to cancel the accommodation when the balance was due a few weeks ago).

in our travel insurance policy it states that you have to check in to the flight for them to cover it i.e. intended to fly. if we check in Ryan air take that as you are going to fly with them therefore you cant get a refund from Ryanair

FYI out travel insurance replied with the following

We will only consider nonrecoverable costs that are listed under cancellation section of the policy wording. So you should first approach the airline, tour operator, accommodation provider or travel company for a possible refund or to see if they will amend the itinerary.

Could someone do a Key Post/FAQ on this to save the rest of us reading through 6 pages.

Ryanair cancelled my flight - I want cash back. How do I get it?

Eddie Wilson on radio this morning said that they are up to the middle of April now regarding refunds.

After months of checking my credit card account in expectation of my refund, I tried the chat service again today an, surprisingly, I got a Customer Care agent today. He advised me that, as I had not requested a refund for the second time, on receipt of the voucher email, I was not in the refund queue. He said he would request the refund for me and it should take a maximum of 6 weeks. We'll see!

That is far too long to be waiting for a refund...Is it any wonder that people do not want to cancel holidays.

That is far too long to be waiting for a refund...Is it any wonder that people do not want to cancel holidays.
I agree. I pointed out that I had requested a refund on March 20th and was now waiting over 3 months. Said they could not expedite the refund. Email arrived this evening confirming the conversation. Shoddy treatment I think.

Why not do a charge back?
I tried to contact them by chat but when I gave up I lazily sat back waiting for the refund, naively thinking it was being processed. I looked at the credit card website and I figured they would have expected me to have spoken with Ryanair etc. I let it slide, tbh!

Hi
My outbound Ryanair flight (25 July) was cancelled
But the return flight (8 Aug) has not yet been cancelled
Separate bookings
If return flight is not cancelled is there anything I can do?
I don't see the option for vouchers if not cancelled.

So the only option I can see is to re-schedule the flight to later this year?
Must be same route?
And €40 fee per passenger?

Update: fee to move flights is waived due to covid19. So that's something. Sun holiday October?

Last edited:
Because they are separate bookings might make it awkward . There is the possibility that the return flight will be cancelled but it might not be. If you can get through it might be better to talk to someone.

Back