Returning cans and plastic bottles

If we incinerated all waste and used that energy to generate electricity we would probably be better off environmentally when all elements, costs and resources of "recycling" are considered.
Funny enough if you look at the data it's not even close!

It is cooked, delivered from a takeaway.
Are you sure it's cardboard and not compostible fibre board? Cardboard is porous so a liner made of plastic or some other material would be required, hence pizza boxes generally being diverted to composting or incineration.

Are you sure it's cardboard and not compostible fibre board? Cardboard is porous so a liner made of plastic or some other material would be required, hence pizza boxes generally being diverted to composting or incineration.
We get noodles and rice in cardboard with the inside lined with a shiny coat of something to seal it. Most other dishes are in either the aluminium or plastic containers. I wash and reuse the plastic ones but have quite a few surplus ones now. Handy for freezing things.

Where is the data to be seen though and how valid is it.
Lots of studies published on the matter, it's easy enough to weed out the vested interest spin. The one I linked earlier for example includes details of the full life cycle impact, including the energy & pollution involved in production, transportation. and recycling. Have a read and then convince me burning stuff comes close to being better overall.

Gosh, can you put pizza boxes in the brown compostable bin? I did not know that. I have been putting them in the general rubbish black bin as they are contaminated with food so can’t recycle them.

re: pizza boxes - they can go in the green bin if they're not too soiled or greasy:

I was interested to read this Guardian article on takeaway packaging - "compostable" items are often the worst option (except for cardboard and paper).

Reactions: Leo
This is becoming a joke.

I ordered a sports drink online from an Irish Company and paid less money including shipping that I would have paid in Store (nearly 20% less) and no deposit charged.

To my surprise the shipment came from Lithuania and all 48 cans have the re-deposit logo, so now I got another 7.20 discount.

Yes, sure ship it from Lithuania but make sure I recycle the can to safe the world!

This is becoming a joke.

I ordered a sports drink online from an Irish Company and paid less money including shipping that I would have paid in Store (nearly 20% less) and no deposit charged.

To my surprise the shipment came from Lithuania and all 48 cans have the re-deposit logo, so now I got another 7.20 discount.

Yes, sure ship it from Lithuania but make sure I recycle the can to safe the world!
Ddi you try at a return machineyet.....?...if it works then just shows you how expense the Store (is that a specific shop ) is.

interesting comparision of 97% recycling levels https://yle.fi/a/74-20094807

I only ever see paper and compostable cardboard from takeaways.
We got 2 takeaways recently. The Indian came in tinfoil boxes with cardboard tops, they gave us poppadoms and the sause was in those white polystyrene things. The naan bread and poppadoms were in those heavy paper bags.

The Chinese was in plastic boxes.

Back