Returning cans and plastic bottles

Don't you also generally have council collection points in urban areas in close proximity to shops with longer opening hours?
When it comes to Mayo, there are collection points for stuff near Newport and Ballina, both in the middle of nowhere. That is all. This not an option.

Re-turn into public ownership? Great idea!
The scheme is certainly suffering form teething problems. I noticed umpteen times machines being out of operations. In one shop I developed the habit of going straight into the managers office to point that out- just to get on his nerves.
As I said- this scheme is around for donkeys years in many countries- with and without kerbside collection.
Putting machines into council collection points? Good idea. But that would mean you need to pay people- aka council workers- who take care of those machines. And you need sheltered places to set up the machines- an open council yard won't do.
'This' scheme is not. Some form of this scheme is.
We've no excuse for teething problems, precisely because we can see the examples of those other countries.
Very deliberate decisions were taken around exemptions, manual returns - despite those examples.
You shouldn't have to hassle the manager, that should have been in the scheme regulations, and enforced.

The council operation of the machine would be funded just as the retail ones are funded, they get a certain rate per item.
If it is so important to bring in this scheme to meet EU targets, so we don't get fined... to not involve bulk collections at council sites (e.g. by charities, sports groups) is inexcusable.

The Government can't pretend the loss of revenue to the waste companies is a surprise to them.
Submission as part of the public consultation from Repak to the Dept of the Environment, November 2020:

"The general view of the waste industryis DRS is a significant threat to their businesses. A hybrid model could alleviate some of the concerns which the waste industry has in relation to the perceived negatlve impact,which DRS may have, on the current kerbside collection system.
At any rate the hybrid model would, minimise lost revenue to the waste industry and provide an alternative service provision which the waste industry could provide and receive the financial reward."

Further evidence the 'consultation' was no such thing.

This whole scheme has been badly thought out. How many 1 litre or 2 litre plastic bottles litter our streets ? I dont believe I have ever seen even one and yet these are the volumes mainly used for home consumption. I'm OK with smaller plastic bottles (<=500ml) and cans being included in the scheme but large bottles ? Why ? Surely >90% were already going into the green bin and keeping the waste companies profitable.

This whole scheme has been badly thought out. How many 1 litre or 2 litre plastic bottles litter our streets ? I dont believe I have ever seen even one and yet these are the volumes mainly used for home consumption. I'm OK with smaller plastic bottles (<=500ml) and cans being included in the scheme but large bottles ? Why ? Surely >90% were already going into the green bin and keeping the waste companies profitable.
It's not just about littering which is thankfully relatively rare. Many people just throw everything into the general waste bin which goes to landfill. This scheme aims to nudge them to return the bottles so they can be recycled.

It's not just about littering which is thankfully relatively rare. Many people just throw everything into the general waste bin which goes to landfill. This scheme aims to nudge them to return the bottles so they can be recycled.
Surely there is a better way to stop this happening than enforcing unnecessary environmentally damaging car trips on the the 90% of the compliant public not to mention higher waste collection charges etc. I think the green agenda people need to use their brains as in this case common sense is clearly devoid. I don't recall ever hearing a public service communication / advert campaign encouraging people not to throw 1 Litre and 2 Litre bottles into their black bins !

Last edited:
Surely there is a better way to stop this happening than enforcing unnecessary environmentally damaging car trips on the the 90% of the compliant public not to mention higher waste collection charges etc.
Are you suggesting the majority of people are driving for the sole purpose of returning plastic bottles to a ReTurn point and then simply heading home again with the refund printout in their pockets?

How is that evidence? Do you have the meeting minutes where that was discussed?
What's the point of a consultation, in which such feedback is disregarded?

So yes it is evidence. It was a sham consultation, as the vast vast majority of them are, to come to a pre-ordained conclusion, where only feedback from certain sources are paid any heed to. They are not in any genuine sense a consultation process.

If you have evidence to the contrary, showing how these 'consultations' are generally run in a fair and open manner, where feedback from across the range of submissions including from ordinary citizens are seriously considered and addressed in a meaningful manner - do share.

And if it is such an open and transparent consultation, where are those minutes?

Last edited:
What's the point of a consultation, in which such feedback is disregarded?

So yes it is evidence. It was a sham consultation,
There are a multitude of reasons why that suggestion may have been disregarded. Your opinion is not proof that consultation didn't occur.

Repak's own submissions acknowledge that consideration was given to the hybrid model they favoured (it wasn't their suggestion), they went into detail on the elements they considered made it preferable.

Perhaps their failure on meeting prior targets meant there was little confidence they could make that model work?

Back