Returning cans and plastic bottles

My children (now one is an adult) aren't particularly careful either and I don't think they ever lost a bottle. I never bought individual bottles on a daily basis as I always consider both the cost and the waste. If you consider that a water bottle costs about €5, they would have to lose it every 2 weeks to make it more expensive than buying individual small 250ml bottles. I never considered filling water bottle in the morning expensive. Plenty of other things are with children but not this. As for the system, it exists for a long time in other countries and I have no issue with it. I would consider it a good thing. We used to drink bottle water but install a filter a couple of years ago. Sorting the few bottles we use is not a problem. We rarely buy cans but did recently. Seeing them accumulating quickly make us realised that we should probably avoid buying them on the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leo
suggesting kids not bringing disposable water bottles to schools is a good thing = wishing poverty on the most vulnerable in society.
You're through to the liveline, talk to Joe!
No, I merely objected to this sentiment:
I am hopeful that people will just be priced out of buying bottled products - eg parents buying slabs of small water bottles for daily lunches instead of larger bottles
Suggesting that bottled water should be rendered unaffordable for families is outrageous, in my opinion.
Especially when many families have to cope with periodic Boil Water Notices, sometimes for extended periods.

But do feel free to continue to misrepresent and poke fun at my comments. It's most edifying.

Let me reword it then to be absolutely clear. I am hopeful that the tax on buying individual bottles of water will lead to people who buy bottled water reassessing if they need to at all or if they truly need to for whatever reason, to find a less wasteful and less expensive way to do it by eg using a water filter or buying larger, tax free bottles and decanting to a reusable bottle.

That is not wishing poverty on anyone, in fact it would help with the household budget. And believe me when I tell you this for the first time, I have had to balance and live within very fine budgets in my household over my lifetime and am very well aware of poverty and what it truly is.

Let me reword it then to be absolutely clear. I am hopeful that the tax on buying individual bottles of water will lead to people who buy bottled water reassessing if they need to at all or if they truly need to for whatever reason, to find a less wasteful and less expensive way to do it by eg using a water filter or buying larger, tax free bottles and decanting to a reusable bottle.

That is not wishing poverty on anyone, in fact it would help with the household budget. And believe me when I tell you this for the first time, I have had to balance and live within very fine budgets in my household over my lifetime and am very well aware of poverty and what it truly is.
If you're living in an area under a boil water notice, there is little reassessing to be done.

Your proposal above was that families including those living in such conditions should be "priced out" of doing so.

I had no intention of revisiting this today until poster @shweeney chose to mock and misrepresent what I said. I'm sorry that you have been caught in the crossfire of that.

By the way, there is already a punitive 23% VAT rate on bottled water. This was a political hot potato when Galway city spent an entire summer under a boil water notice over a decade ago.

2 litre bottles of water should have been exempted also, due to the known issue with water supply here.
I don't see these around on the streets in any appreciable quantity.

I know larger size bottles are exempt but these are unwieldy for many people.

Plastic milk bottles are exempted too. Is that because of lobbying by NDC ?
I thought it was because its a different type of plastic, not PET but HDPE. But I don't really know - I'd thought I'd read something but can't find it now. But this applies to milk, I'd guess that some of the juice/coffee drinks are PET.

Interesting letter from IWMA arguing for an automated solution by in 2021, and not the manual solution that was rolled out (I only read some of this and have no knowledge of either system). Many of the annoyances/concerns in this thread were raised in this :

I expect so... similar items such as 1 litre orange juice bottles are included in the scheme. As are oat milk coffee drinks such as Califa brand.
You don't see very many milk bottles dumped on the side of the road or on the beach and so further incentive was not required?

You don't see very many milk bottles dumped on the side of the road or on the beach and so further incentive was not required?
I don't see very many 1 litre orange juice bottles, oat milk bottles or 2 litre water bottles dumped on the side of the road either.
2 litre bottles of any soft drink actually, and yet they have a higher deposit than the most dumped items.

So very doubtful that was one of the assessment criteria.

Why are various providers getting away with providing plastic bottles for water - why aren't they all using containers, like milk and fruit juice providers do?

This seems an obvious one to quickly to change, and quickly reduce the amount of plastic doing the rounds.

My husband takes our cans and bottles back and the biggest issue he has is rejects. Not all shops will take all bottles and cans, and even if everything is aligned there are random rejects for no visible reason. Then you are left with a shopping bag of leaking rejects to lug around the shop while you do the groceries. I think Aldi have a recycling bin for the rejects now which he finds very welcoming.

While visiting my mum in hospital recently I was surprised they use all bottled water, it is rather odd the hospital is not recycling but using the deposit they paid on the bottles for charity.

Back