Returning cans and plastic bottles

No it isn't, not when the rest of your post is in English it's not. It is the Republic of Ireland.

Not sure what your angle is using it in this context, but as it is nothing to do with the Re-turn scheme, I'll leave it there.
Officially, the name of the state is Ireland as per the constitution, Republic of Ireland is a description introduced in the Republic of Ireland Act, (1948). But you're right in an English conversation, it's not Eire.

No it isn't, not when the rest of your post is in English it's not. It is the Republic of Ireland.

Not sure what your angle is using it in this context, but as it is nothing to do with the Re-turn scheme, I'll leave it there.
Sound, it is shorthand - just google the image of a Eire/Ireland passport - no mention of Poblacht na hEireann.!.

Another common complaint about the scheme is the lack of bulk return option at current Council waste depots, where you can just dump in a bag of cans or bottles and get cash \ voucher redeemable anywhere. This would also be more convenient for charity \ cleanup groups.

I'd be very interested to know what the additional "carbon footprint" of this scheme is - including the energy used to manufacture, transport, power and service these giant metal washing machine-like contraptions. Given that prior to this, green bins were already being collected, with plastic bottles and cans (and continue to be collected without them) there's no real energy saving on the other side of the equation.

Wouldn't we all, but you know that none of our Green Government politicans will ever disclose such information :-(

And to *ahem* tie this sub-thread back to Re-turn ... currently also in need of recycling !
To get back on topic, the machines at Aldi always work and I haven't had anything rejected.

I'm fascinated by how many cans and bottles people are returning. I drop off at most 5 a week before getting my shopping, but see people with massive loads. I had assumed one person was using the machine for the first time and working through a backlog, but I saw them leaving with a trolley full of small bottles of water and juice. It seems to me that educating people not to buy these products in the first place would be a better scheme.

To get back on topic, the machines at Aldi always work and I haven't had anything rejected.

I'm fascinated by how many cans and bottles people are returning. I drop off at most 5 a week before getting my shopping, but see people with massive loads. I had assumed one person was using the machine for the first time and working through a backlog, but I saw them leaving with a trolley full of small bottles of water and juice. It seems to me that educating people not to buy these products in the first place would be a better scheme.
Dunnes and ALDI I have had the best experiences with so far.

Supervalu and LIDL poor. To take an example, Supervalu Sutton have 1 single large machine. This is a very large store. Dunnes Donaghmede of similar size has 3. The SV machine takes longer to fill up, but means all customers have to join single queue.

The machines at LIDL frequently out of order and are fussy.

And if anyone sees a working machines in Dealz please shout, they seem to be there for ornamentation only.

Similarly, places in Dublin actually taking manual returns.

Why ?- did you seek out the manager of Tesco to simply empty the machine of its contents. Or was there a R symbol on the bottles.
The interm period is now over since Jun1.
The R symbol is on them but machine doesn’t accept them.
The girl on till advised since from multi pack they won’t be accepted.

And if anyone sees a working machines in Dealz please shout, they seem to be there for ornamentation only.
I've used the machine in Dealz in Drogheda. It's a bit fiddly, I had to press buttons to get through the process (including a start button, if I recall), but it worked and I got my voucher.

I am hopeful that people will just be priced out of buying bottled products - eg parents buying slabs of small water bottles for daily lunches instead of larger bottles to fill up reusable ones if they can't drink tap water, bring along a reusable jug and some cordial for picnics/parties rather than loads of little bottles. Am also amazed at the volume some people are returning. And for people having celebrations or parties at home, it will take time to figure out how to get your guests to not crush cans and to have storage space to store returns but we manage to recycle the glass from these events and if buying a lot you can really see the tax add up so maybe people will get smart about that too.

I just wish we could outlaw the disposable hot drinks cups too! We were making good strides in behavior changes before COVID in that regard but now people have gone back again to them.

I am hopeful that people will just be priced out of buying bottled products - eg parents buying slabs of small water bottles for daily lunches instead of larger bottles to fill up reusable ones if they can't drink tap water, bring along a reusable jug and some cordial for picnics/parties rather than loads of little bottles.
Literally wishing poverty on families with young children is appalling.

I think they're wishing that families bought 5l bottles which are exempt, and then using those to fill reusable bottles.
I am hopeful that people will just be priced out - eg parents buying slabs of small water bottles for daily lunches
When people tell you who they are, believe them.

The problem with reusable bottles for young kids is that they're expensive and easy to lose.
Jacking up the cost of disposables won't change that.

When people tell you who they are, believe them.

The problem with reusable bottles for young kids is that they're expensive and easy to lose.
Jacking up the cost of disposables won't change that.
not what I intended. And am fully aware of the issue of lost items with kids! But in the long run reusable is not expensive and far far cheaper than paying the tax. Not everyone is buying Airups or Stanleys!

not what I intended. And am fully aware of the issue of lost items with kids! But in the long run reusable is not expensive and far far cheaper than paying the tax. Not everyone is buying Airups or Stanleys!
Not what I interpreted either, indeed a reusable bottle in conjunction with 5l, or even better, a filter jug would be so much cheaper in the long run. Lidl and others do cheap kids water bottles every now and then, ours aren't particularly careful but losing them isn't an issue.

Back