Pregnant Woman - Told to cover her pregnant stomach

In that case, request a meeting with your manager to discuss the matter further. A mature discussion will make it clear on how ye both stand. The way things should be solved.

Best of luck, and congrats on soon to be new comer

Sounds like she's an idiot. Take no crap from people like this- challenge any remark like this would be my advice. Some people are genuinely insensitive and need to be pointed in the right direction, some people are ignorant and need to be corrected.

I had a boss once ( also female) who once said about me- why keep a dog and bark yourself. The minute she said it I asked her was she comparing me to a dog and told her I didn't appreciate that remark. She never said it again and I think she admired the fact that I am able to stand up for myself- in a polite way, without agression.

I wouldn't necessarily escalate this to an employment law issue just yet but I would stand up for myself immediately.

Is there any reasonable basis for adopting this line of questioning?

Just trying to see it from all sides and the possibilty that manager thought it may have looked untidy. I can't see how anyone would try and tell an employee to hide the fact they are pregnant

thank you Padraigb....Im feeling a little harrassed here....:)

I'm sorry if I made you feel harrassed, that wasn't my intention.

I am outraged that anybody should speak in such a way to a pregnant woman: it's highly offensive, and even suggests that there is something unsavoury about pregnancy.

The fact that the boss seemed to come up with a weak excuse afterwards suggests to me that she realised that she was wrong, and is trying to slide away from accepting responsibility for what she said. I think, Irish Spirit, that you may have made your point, and that your chances of getting an apology are probably small.

I was disappointed by the tone of a couple of the responses here. I don't think covering a bump should be regarded as a matter of dress code. If T-shirts are normally accepted as appropriate work attire, then they should be accepted as appropriate for pregnant staff (assuming they fit!).
+1
[As my username suggests, I am male, but I am a new man.]
Don't mind him; he's an 'auld fella! :D

Hi Irish Spirit, just want to offer a word of support to you as a mother in the making. Im sorry you had to listen to that sort of remark while carrying out your work and also carrying a precious child. I would say stand up for yourself and rebuff any such remarks in future. You might only cause yourself stress if you go into all that employment law stuff though. I suspect a bit of jealousy could be at play there too maybe.

Thank you for all the supportive comments. Im going to go in tomorrow and act as if nothing happened. Ive stood up for myself and if she doesnt think what she said was wrong than maybe thats something she as an employer & as a human being,needs to look at (this is why I mentioned employment law, not to bring a case or anything drastic like that. I just wanted to show her, in black & white that what she said was inappropriate). Nothing will take away from how happy & excited , and PROUD, I am about my pending arrival....7 weeks to go :) (its my first incase its not very obvious!!!)

I can ask for the dress code policy but she is claiming she made comment 'to consider putting on a cardigan' because she was concerned I was cold....so what I was wearing isnt even an issue anymore. Its obvious what the problem is and after what I said to her I doubt she will ever make a similar comment to anyone again.

I reckon the best thing to do is ignore/forget it and move on. Your boss has had her wings clipped so she should have learned her lesson.

An apology probably isn't forthcoming ..... we humans are slow to say sorry.

Of more concern to me would be the attitude of your employer when the time comes for your maternity leave. If she's like this now, I'd say she'll be messing you around later on. Keep a good eye on her.

I am pregnant and work part time in retail. Yesterday I was serving customers and my boss came in and told me my bump was looking very big and did I not have a cardigan to cover it.

This was a dreadful remark, for whatever reason she made it she shouldn't have. You shouldn't and don't have to put up with it. As long as she doesn't do anything else to make you feel uncomfortable I wouldn't go any further with it other than now explaining to her that you didn't like the remark.

Having been pregnant I always covered up well, I'm not shy or anything but I hated having a bump. Personal thing. Don't know why but I put it down to my Irish blood.

You should make a note of the remark and a note of the follow up conversation. Times, dates etc.

If the comment was out of character , then forget about it. If it turns out to be the first of a sustained campaign, then you have a note made of it.

Back