Key Post Methods to avoid/minimise Credit Card charges with Ryanair and Aer Lingus

Since you seem to be Dublin-based, why not just get the Dublin City Gift Card? Tried and proven. Zero fees.
No fees or commission whatsoever ??? :eek:
can you give a link or explain how to get one? For a key post the info seems badly out of date.

I have tried the Dublin City Giftcard and it was very sporadic. It was my friend's card and I thought it would be great but it wasnt. I had just lost my Bishopstown CU card and thought with all the hype of the Dublin City Card that maybe I was missing something. Picked up my new Bishopstown Card the day after. It REALLY is the best card I have found. I was lost without it when I didnt have it for a few days.

I get paid into it now as well so I dont need a bank. Perhaps they are going to start a credit union revolution and the NAMA owned banks can keep their bank card muck and we will have Credit Union cards?????

I have tried the Dublin City Giftcard and it was very sporadic.

what do you mean by sporadic ? The main disadvantage I can see about it is that these gift cards come in lumps of a max 150 euro and dont seem to be rechargeable ?

2 Picked up my new Bishopstown Card the day after. It REALLY is the best card I have found. I was lost without it when I didnt have it for a few days

sounds like you have to live in Bishopstown to get one of these cards and unless it doubles as a prepaid mastercard then it would be exactly the same as any other card when used at a POS ?

Perhaps they are going to start a credit union revolution and the NAMA owned banks can keep their bank card muck and we will have Credit Union cards?????

The Credit unions appear to keep their deposits in the Irish Banks. Maybe they should move them elsewhere or offshore if they want to start a Credit Union revolution.

bullworth i have a prepaid card from moneybookers no cc charge with ryanair it costs 10euro per year and a once off small fee to set up .they are based in london are a fully registered co,i upload funds from my laser card for free. its a little awkward to set up they look for id like a copy ofdriver licence or passport plus copies of 2 utility bills in your name.if you log on to moneybookers.com its all there.

bullworth i have a prepaid card from moneybookers no cc charge with ryanair it costs 10euro per year and a once off small fee to set up .they are based in london are a fully registered co,i upload funds from my laser card for free. its a little awkward to set up they look for id like a copy ofdriver licence or passport plus copies of 2 utility bills in your name.if you log on to moneybookers.com its all there.

Thanks Moonman. I applied for a card and am hoping that no hefty charges appear which I wasnt expecting. Thats why I asked if anyone else had used it.

I just noticed that Easyjet seems to have kept the Visa Electron for no cc fee. As a frequent flyer I might still need to get one of those but I'll be very happy to fly with no cc charge Ryanair to London etc if I need to grab a connection.

no there are no hidden charges just the set up fee which is a once off in my case it was only 3 or 4 euro . as i said in my other post you can upload from your bank acct or laser card for free there are charges for taking money from an atm or topping up from a normal cc. ive just booked 5 flights for my daughter for her summer hols to spain with her friends and saved 50 euro and she will put the money into my bank acct tomorrow

@bullworth:

I finally have time to reply about the Dublin City Gift Card. Yes, it is the cheapest option as it has €0 setup fee, €0 fee to put money on it and €0 to use it. There are some slight inconveniences but I never found them to be deal breakers:

* You have to physically go to the Jervis or Stepen's Green SC to set one up.
* You cannot top up the card. You load it when buying the card and that is it. If you need more money on the card, you need to buy another one.
* You can load at most €150 onto a single card.

Since most Ryanair flights are far less than €150, we tend to get cards for €100 and then use them up slowly. When credit on our current card falls below €20 or so, we get another one. We then use up the old card when some flight comes around that nicely uses up its remaining balance.

slightly off topic, but can anyone tell me when ryanairs cc fee went up from 5 euro to 6 euro . this the nearest thread i could find to address the question

A few weeks back the fee went up. It's the multiplication that makes it so annoying, when you're booking for a few people, and returns.

thanks gervan, i have just found out that ryanair made a press announcement on march 1st stating the increase from march 9th.the reason given, is to encourage more people to use prepaid mastercard ,who they claim they have a great relationship with. if one goes to their website on the news section the have no news items for the 2 dates in march.

Does anyone know if the new o2 prepaid card is charge free when booking with ryanair?

i have a prepaid mastercard debit card from moneybookers i load money to it from my boi bank acct or my boi laser for free. there are various charges for loading ,ie from a cc i think is 2.75per cent. i know a girl who works for ryanair in their head office and when i am talking to her and refer to a cc charge she always corrects me and says excuse me admin charge. PS you can see all moneybookers chargers on moneybookers.com i think neteller are much the same.

.. girl who works for ryanair in their head office and when i am talking to her and refer to a cc charge she always corrects me and says excuse me admin charge....

Yes its called "Ryanair’s discretionary ADMIN fee".

Whats the difference between the dublin city card and the moneybookers?
What charges is there when purchasing the Icard?
Is there an annual charge?
With the moneybookers there is a yearly charge of 10 euro?
Does the dublin city card come in set blocks of money 50--100- 150 etc.?

undo whats the difference between the dublin city card and the moneybookers

The Dublin City Gift Card is an offline, entirely prepaid card. You can buy it at Ticketmaster in either the Jervis or Stephen's Green SC. The card is loaded when you buy it and cannot be topped up again. If you need more money on a Mastercard Prepaid, you have to get another one.

You can load any amount up to €150 in €5 increments. The card is valid for one year. There are no charges for loading, using or just having the card for one year. I have never waited long enough to have a card expire... I have no idea what happens then. Maybe you can retrieve the balance somehow. Maybe not. The best thing to do is to just use up the card. You are free to make as many transactions as you wish. The card works online (obviously, as this is what Ryanair use) and also in normal shops. So you can use it to book Ryanair flights and if you still have some balance left, you can head to the shops and stock up on chewing gum or some other cheap item that lets you use up your balance down to €0.

Thanks Undo that's excellent. My son was charged a fee in the Dundrum Shopping Centre last week for his card.

My son was charged a fee in the Dundrum Shopping Centre last week for his card.

Dundrum, Liffey Valley and other SCs run their own cards. These may well cost money - and, as far as I know, do not work as Mastercard Prepaid on Ryanair's website. So the best thing to do is to stick with Jervis and SSG.

thanks undo for that info unfortunately the 150 limit would not be of any use to me .when booking with ryanairas i normally book for 4 people

Back