Is The Demise of Diesel Cars just Slick marketing?

Farmers can in theory opt to register for VAT but it makes little economic sense for them to do so as it they will invariably put them out of pocket. Any farmer who is carrying on a separate VATable activity is obliged to do so and to account for VAT, on their farm and off-farm turnover, once their turnover from that off-farm activity exceeds the registration threshold.

These days, owing to limitations on farm incomes, most farmers have separate off-farm income sources and these often include businesses with VAT exposure.

Agricultural contracting, in common with similar services, is a VATable activity.

vast majority of grain and potatoe farmers are vat registered as they spend so much on machinery , that sector while the minority makes up more than a few percent

the point being not only is tractor diesel a lot cheaper , the vat can be claimed back by a section of farmers

vast majority of grain and potatoe farmers are vat registered as they spend so much on machinery , that sector while the minority makes up more than a few percent

the point being not only is tractor diesel a lot cheaper , the vat can be claimed back by a section of farmers
There are only 1,560 potato farmers in the country so they're a total red herring. The numbers of grain farmers with sufficiently large holdings to warrant buying their own machinery, rather than relying on contractors, is a minor subset of the total. A minority of a minority as it were.

Last edited:
This is worth reading, if governments are going to push electric vehicles, then they need to follow through on training and resources for fire services.

https://www.mv-voice.com/news/2017/01/27/electric-cars-pose-new-challenges-to-firefighters

It can take thousands of gallons of water over a long period of time to bring the battery down to a safe temperature, meaning fire crews will need a sustained water supply from either a hydrant or two trucks full of water.
"If you can't establish a sustained water supply, there's a high likelihood the battery will reignite," Klock said. "You won't be doing any good if you don't have enough water to cool down the battery and extinguish it."
The threat of re-ignition goes well beyond when fire crews leave the scene. Similar to trick birthday candles, a lithium ion battery can catch fire hours, days or even weeks after it has been brought down to a normal temperature.

There are only 1,560 potato farmers in the country so they're a total red herring. The numbers of grain farmers with sufficiently large holdings to warrant buying their own machinery, rather than relying on contractors, is a minor subset of the total. A minority of a minority as it were.

Most farmers who grow cereals have there own machinery for what's done on there barley , wheat etc farms , I include ploughs , seeders etc and of course combines

This is getting boring at this stage but how often does a farmer replace a plough?

Not a farmer but have hired machines etc. and you'd be amazed how much maintenance they have to do, teeth breaking on buckets, tracks coming off and so on.

One thing's for sure, the next budget, or maybe even before that, the price of diesel is going to get a whopper of an increase.

Hi,

The Porsche decision is a positive one, not as extreme as the decision taken by Volvo when they decided to only build electric or hybrids from 2019, but worthy of recognition all the same. Lots of other big motor companies are still happy to profit by selling diesel engine vehicles though. I'd have expected more to follow suit and make announcements to end diesel engine production, even if they don't bring those plans into effect for a few years. However, it seems that they are not getting enough negative press, or pressure from the consumers, to bother taking any real action.

One thing's for sure, the next budget, or maybe even before that, the price of diesel is going to get a whopper of an increase.

There is absolutely no good reason why we cannot make that change now, no need to wait until the next Budget, or the one after that etc. :)

Our government are failing us badly with the lack of any sort of radical action to cut down on omissions. I can't recall the figures quoted, but I seem to recall reading that we are likely to be fined significant amounts for not reaching our targets for 2020. I think that there was also mention of us not looking likely to hit subsequent 2030 targets, which again would result in significant fines. Yet, we continue to have fleets of diesel buses in the cities, second hand diesel cars are being imported on a daily basis from the UK with nothing being done to discourage their purchase, while those buying new diesel cars here in Ireland continue to enjoy the benefits of cheaper motor tax and fuel. It's just insane !

Are our ministerial cars diesel powered for example ?

Why are government departments and state agencies not compelled to use solar power to help power and heat their buildings etc. ?

... sure, there's capital expenditure involved in investing in solar energy etc. and it will take time to get a return on investment, but there are two returns to consider here, both the financial and also the environmental.

I'd be fairly sure there won't be increases in Diesel excise until after the next election and even then only if there is a government with a big majority. Sadly being massively failed by the Government in this regard.

Excise duty on petrol is 59c, 48c on diesel according to the radio yesterday morning. Not sure the policy on fuel taxation has advanced in the last decade but the science has, which has given more importance to nitrous oxide and particulate emissions than previously considered.

Are our ministerial cars diesel powered for example ?

I most certainly hope so. You're not suggesting we put them in gas guzzler petrol Mercs? :rolleyes:

Why are government departments and state agencies not compelled to use solar power to help power and heat their buildings etc. ?
Because it would involve massive duplication of the existing heating & lighting infrastructure?

Untrue. The demands on infrastructure and the damage caused by HGVs and farm machinery are far greater than those caused by cars, even the unnecessarily large Mammy-mobiles.

I stand to be corrected, but I believe the main issue with diesel is the adverse effect is has on the air quality in urban areas. So even though HGVs & farm machinery are more pollutant, surely it is the car & bus who are clogging up our towns & cities with all the bad stuff?

Back