Is eir the worst company in Ireland for customer service?

I would have to say that I think Eir are a good company but their customer service has been a problem for the last 20 years at least. For a communications company their communication is appalling.

eir are the worst service company because we the customers allow them to maintain their low standards while charging top prices - existing customers pay top whack while new recruits get discounts. Why don't we fight back? Who would be willing to fight back?

I have Eir for landline, broadband and mobile , for many years and find there service very good and their prices not bad . I ring them every year to haggle about renewing for another year and after waiting a long time waiting to get through I find them ok to deal with. Getting through to them is the worst of any company.

They’re so bad because a succession of private equity owners have raped and pillaged the company to pay themselves big dividends.

They’re massively indebted with a focus on cost-cutting and underinvestment in their infrastructure.

They’re so bad.

They have me Dad driven demented trying to deal with them. And me as well because I’ve to listen to him. At one point I had to say “Dad, I don’t deal with these awful companies because I don’t have the bandwidth to deal with the rubbish...so why am I having to deal with yours?!”

Oh Gordon, you never fail to live up to your username :D

I'll throw Voadafone shop staff into the mix as an example (Help line very good though) and of course, Virgin Media.

In fairness, I know most companies have struggled over recent weeks with staff working from home but you's like to think that a company like Eir would find it easier to enable home working for their staff then most.

One of my neighbours works for Eir. I put some of the questions here to him (although I already knew the answers).

There is more than Eir in the same boat. Call Centres are nothing more that what they are "Call Centres." The staff are on written contract for a specific period of time. The staff of Call Centre staff have replaced staff that once had some semblance of personal responsibility.

So you're working for say Eir. You're on a contract that will expire shortly. Call Centre staff get an enormous amount of abuse (something for which they are not paid). Show me the customer who'll remain quietly in a long queue in a bank and will be as patient waiting for Eir to answer his phonecall. The guy in the Call Centre has a bleeping clock nearby which gets louder and faster as the amount of customers call.

The Team Leaders are working behind the workers like the guy calling the drum tempo in the slave galleys of the Romans. Even the personal responsibility of the Team Leaders is in question. All they want to do is get rid of the loud bleeping and keep everything looking good although it never looked as bad.

Call Centres save money but don't work.

I retired from Eircom, as it was known then, 8 years ago. In the course of my work I had to call to very many houses and before the customer said anything about the problem with their service they would always complain about trying to get through to report their problem. That went on for many years before I retired. It was always highlighted at meetings but nothing was ever done. At that time the people in the call centers were Eircom staff. Now they are hired staff on short contracts and as you , Leper, say the clock is ticking from the time they answer to the time they hang up. If I ring to report a fault on my landline or broadband , before fibre, for example 1901 and I know that the fault is not in my house I will be told to plug out the phone and after wasting time waiting for them to test the line and go through the motions they will say " we will send someone out ". The guys on the road are usually good and know their stuff.
Having said all that I find their service quite good.

Having said all that I find their service quite good.

The eir(com) guy in the van is great... easy to talk to and they know their stuff but without customer service there is no service.

You can't say that their service is good not to mind quite good when their customer service is appalling.

I left eircom about 6 years ago... my issue was the broadband was terrible. I had been a loyal customer for decades up until the time where customer service (and that was the time you could get through to them) kept giving me the run around.

I eventually left them and they actually refunded me the broadband side of the bill as the service had been non-existent.

Until such as time as people vote with their feet, the likes of eir, Ryanair etc. will keep getting away with it.

My service is very good actually and I am about 5 km from my closest town which is where the exchange is that my service is coming from. If it was not good I would not hesitate in moving to another company. Trying to get through to Eir is their only problem , in my opinion but it is not that much different to most companies that I try to contact. Sky, Ryanair, Aviva , Ulsterbank come to mind.

eir are fine until you have a problem... it's when you have a problem, that's when you need a company to step up to the plate.

I left SKY too because of their poor customer service. Of course their charges for repeats turned me off too!

Vote with your feet is my policy.

As an aside, I was right on top of an exchange... about 1 km.... and I still couldn't get the service.

Back