Is eir the worst company in Ireland for customer service?

I waited 30 min and got a human that could not answer my question, contacting them on their website was impossible it kept rejecting all the new passwords I put in, the have now ignored 2 letters. I think the next move is Ofcom.
Maybe if I stop paying they will contact me
After contacting comreg, Eircom finally contacted me and gave me my existing deal back dating it. The excuse for not replying to my 2 letters was they were working from home and did not receive them. Comreg think the problem is solved now but as I pointed out, I will have to go through the same process next year.

I have finally made a formal complaint to ComReg.

Edit to update: ComReg tried to tell me to complain to Eir; completely missing the bit where I told them I have been complaining for months!

Told CR I refused to get back on the Eir Merry-Go-Round and they needed to sort it.

Last edited:
. . . . just to add my tuppenceworth (again!!!) - I spent 4 days (min of 30 mins) waiting to talk to an Eircom official over the past three weeks. I keep saying it . . . Call Centres Do Not Work! - Just another telecommunications company that does not communicate.

I know my contract expires in November - I'll be gone from them, yippppppeeeeeeeee! But, I'll miss my landline.

ComReg tried to tell me to complain to Eir; completely missing the bit where I told them I have been complaining for months!

ComReg are worse than useless !
They fail time and time again to read what you send them and then ask questions that you have already answered if only they had read what you sent them in the first place.
I have found that if, say, a provider owed you €100, and that provider offered to re-pay you a €1 a week, then ComReg would look upon that as a resolution and close the case, effectively 'washing their hands of it'.
I have engaged with them on two occasions and they are nearly as bad to deal with as Eir.

Probably not a good time to mention this then

Note if you are complaining to Comreq, you need to provide the following

• Your contact details.
  • The account name and account number in question.
  • Details of your complaint, including your service provider’s complaint reference number.
  • Details of any previous dealings with the service provider.
  • A clear idea of what you hope to achieve by raising your complaint.
  • Details of the service provider’s response to your complaint.

Update: finally got a call from Eir who agreed to do what I have been asking for since April.
Comregs email apparently confirming resolution is just confusing as its not clear if there is a refund being paid or not.
Wait and see!

OK I finally bit the bullet last night and sent the following to eir's CEO by email. I'd already submitted the complaints form from their website.

A Chara,

Internet download speeds dropping to 50/60Kbs all week-end and for some time now. Switching the modem on and off as per the DELL-like instructions resets the speeds temporarily. On the last reset I get "Welcome" on the blue bar at the bottom of the TV screen followed by the message "Network disconnected, channel unavailable". All connections, power and signal, seem good at the set-top box and TV. I now have no TV service since about 6:30 pm Sunday 27/09/2020. The internet speed is so-so, in other words much, much slower than was promised.

New message on TV now "Connection Error. It is not possible to connect to eir Vision [as if I didn't bleedin' know!!!!]. Your Set Top Box must be connected to the Broadband Connection for which it was registered." This message is not elucidated or clarified let alone has it a fix listed on your useless web-site.

I want the problems fixed ASAP and permanently. I have been trying to contact your so-called support and customer retention teams since May of this year as neither the service itself nor the customer service & so-called support in any way reflect the prices I am being charged. Top prices for a crappy hit-and-miss service and non existant support. "Oh it's COVID-19" the phone bots bleat when I ring. It's not, services and products were very bad to begin with, their true awfulness is only becoming apparent now. For proof, look at my phone records. The most frequently dialled number is 1901 and the longest calls are to that number. In other words I pay for my phone and my telephone bills (BTW, my payments to eir are never, ever late) in order to keep your poxy services up to some useful level for me! Odd don’t you think?

I am a long-term member of Ireland’s premier consumer website (no ads, no corporates, no selling, heavily moderated). This year your company, its products and services have been voted the worst in Ireland, worse than the politicians, worse than civil and public servants (although the old public service thinking is still evident in eir, "Not my problem, ring someone else at this other number that may or may not be answered" ), worse than the banks, the HSE, County Councils, Gardai - take your pick, you’re at the bottom of the list. I knew you’d be happy to hear that; it must have taken huge effort on you and your colleagues’ parts to achieve that goal.

I want a decent chunk off my bill for on-going inconvenience and I want contract pricing that reflects the awfulness of your products and services.

Yours Sincerely

mathepac, one pissed-off puppy.

P.S. The stupid contact/complaints form [on their website] refuses to go and do its business unless I fill in the land-line number. I had to consult my bill to find it (bills in abundance, products and services sorely lacking) Why don't I know my fixed line phone number? Simple, the reception is so bad (interference and crackling on the line) that an engineer would need to measure the noise to signal ratio, another example of what you charge for but cannot supply or support. Fix the phone or credit back what I've been charged for it; it's useless!

P.P.S. And just to state the blindingly bleedin’ obvious, don’t ring me on the land-line, it doesn’t work! Clear? Excellent!

Is this a record? 09:50 hrs and I had a call from eir informing me that the line outside the house has a fault and they'd get it fixed today! Technician being dispatched as we spoke. I pointed out that this was not a once off and and my need for a permanent fix was urgent, none of the sellotape fixes I'd experienced heretofore. I know, poly-syllabic words with a phone helper, but she got my name wrong at the start of the call and my ire was up.

As with my other dices with death in other parts of the forum, I'll keep the thread updated. Once the fix is in she'll (I didn't get her name) call me back and in the meantime, she has texted me her personal mobile number.

More records please eir, 6 hours and counting, well done.

p.s. I've a new telly due today if the DHL guy gets past the slavering hounds of hell that patrol our grounds here. Laters

but she got my name wrong at the start of the call and my ire was up.
Did she call you @Purple - that why you were so upset? I know you both seem to be interchanging in recent posts / covering for each other - but I didn't think such goings on were outside AAM!

Once the fix is in she'll (I didn't get her name) call me back and in the meantime, she has texted me her personal mobile number.
Hmmm - is that number a "high charges number"? Never heard of such, but then again, I know I'm not @mathepac (or even @Purple) so maybe rules are different for some ;)

Did she call you @Purple - that why you were so upset? I know you both seem to be interchanging in recent posts / covering for each other - but I didn't think such goings on were outside AAM!

Hmmm - is that number a "high charges number"? Never heard of such, but then again, I know I'm not @mathepac (or even @Purple) so maybe rules are different for some ;)
I feel insulted on behalf of mathepac that you could think we are the same person.

I had a similar experience trying to cancel a mobile internet contract. Web chat, phone chat, physical eir shop visit, Boards.ie reps all tried, but I simply entered a Kafkaesque dystopian circle of hell with no cancellation forthcoming.

One email to Carolan Lennon and it was sorted quite promptly.
Thanks for the heads up, it worked, I got their attention! Now let's see if they can fix the problems permanently.

@roker

In the context of the opening post of the thread where it was asked for anything else that can be tried:
Anyone have suggestions?
Letters unacknowledged
No contact form on website
Webchat disabled
Facebook messaging unresponsive
On hold for a full hour on phone

It was recommended to try to use Twitter to make contact, as Eir, at times, are responsive on that platform. No one mentioned "technical problems" at that stage. Obviously if there is a technical problem, a LOT of the platforms for contact are not available.

Nicole rang as I was about to feed the ravening hoards. Tomorrah, she said!!

"Mais Nicole, ma cherie, 'ow can you do zis to me just a la commencement of our new adventure? Tomorrah is such an ugly word, so very Irish, so comment ca dit, eh final!" Tomorrah it is so and no new records set for responsiveness.

In the meantime my new Android-powered [rinses mouth out noisily and spits] Sony Bravia telly arrived. I've improved the look of my A******-powered telly by placing some Apple kit around it. It's looking better already, even switched off, sulking in the corner with no eir set-top box to feed it. To while away the hours I'm searching the net for macOS / iOS apps to work on it. Impressive box of tricks if only Nicole would work overtime.

Reactions: jim
Back