Key Post Electric Vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just need a toe bar to haul two bins out to the end of our road, we live on a cul de sac and the main road is a km

Are you moving the bins regularly or as a once off? If only once, this shouldn't be the reason you don't buy an EV. Lots of options to hire or borrow something to move a bin.

but would an EV be strong enough and have enough battery to pull a trailer?

I'd be all for buying an EV but I need a tow bar for pulling a double axle trailer and a horse box... hence the 3.2 ltr jeep.

I've just purchased a new 1.5 diesel and only because I want to have enough power to pull a trailer with. Anything heavy, I'll use the jeep.

Maybe, by the time I retire, ther might be something out there in the EV line that will pull a trailer and hav ample charging points all over the place.

The product is evolving, but not fast enough, unfortunately.

Reasonably priced EVs for towing are a couple of years away yet. The Tesla Model X is approved for towing but it isn't recommended for any other EV yet. The main concerns are the breaking effort required with the additional weight of the EV battery.

Your best bet at the moment would be a Mitsubishi Outlander Plug In Hybrid.

The 0% BIK for qualifying companies is also very very attractive. Its the incentive I personally need to jump, as my usage profile is ideal for EVs.

Of course, my ultimate preference is the V without a E - the humble bike - no refuelling, charging, parking, traffic congestion, tax, insurance or NCT :)

I'd say you're in a small minority of people who need to tow their weekly refuse bins out for collection.
Would it not be as easy to wheel them out? Must be seriously rough terrain

You asked how often I need to move bins, as for the journey itself, See earlier post, it's 1 km to the collection point

The EV will be nice and popular with princes and princesses, tree huggers and similar, but for people who need to do some work and get from A to B without having to spend half an hour to an hour filling up it'll never catch on. Might take a while for that to sink in so I guess the media will continue pressing for the €10 grand battery dinkies until the penny drops.
Firstly, EVs are catching on; believe me the likes of VW and BMW don't invest billions on the off-chance there's enough "prince and princesses [whoever they are], tree huggers and similar...".

I think part of the problem is people not being able to see past the model of how cars are currently fuelled. Just out of interest, when your phone runs low on power, do you go round looking for a special place [analogous to a petrol station] where you can plug it in for 30 minutes to charge? Or do you simply plug in it to charge it fully overnight, and simply use it during the day? For sure, you need a network of high-speed chargers as part of the motorway network and it’s currently inadequate, but even with the current infrastructure EVs are perfectly viable for a much higher percentage of people than currently have them.
Farmers don’t need diesels, by the way, they need transport, haulage and power options that meet their needs. Not quite there yet with EVs, but I’d say in the long term they’d be delighted to make use of resources they have in abundance (wind, solar) to become self-sufficient in energy rather than having to purchase diesel all the time.

Something in last week's budget which seems to have gone almost under the radar, inexcusable the €3,800 grant for companies supplying EVs to employees has been abolished.

Between the lower than expected Carbon Tax increase, the paltry 9m for cycling, and this, it is clear where this govt stands on climate change.
I can't understand FGs logic here, even if they don't really care about the environment. From a political standpoint, they are ignoring the strong Green Party performance at the last local & European elections, in addition to recent growing movements such as Greta Thunberg and Extinction Rebellion.
It will be interesting to see how FG campaign on environmental issues at next summer's General Election.

I haven't seen sales figures of EVs recently but I called a few dealers yesterday. You can't order a new Kia e-Niro or Hyundai Kona EV until 2020 at the earliest. I assume sales figures will be higher than expected, although not as high as they would have been, had sufficient stock been available.

This is a really silly move by FG. I'm sure my employer wasn't the only company planning to replace multiple dirty diesel car/vans with EVs. The only reason I can think for this backwards measure is if FG received data warning them that the increase in EV sales is too fast for the small growth in EV charging stations.

Something in last week's budget which seems to have gone almost under the radar, inexcusable the €3,800 grant for companies supplying EVs to employees has been abolished.
I think with the 5k VRT exemption, accelerated capital allowances, and BIK exemption, if that's not enough to make EVs viable for companies, a grant is a waste of tax payers money.
I don't think there's a conspiracy here, just all taken together it was too generous, particularly for those self employed through a company.

I think with the 5k VRT exemption, accelerated capital allowances, and BIK exemption, if that's not enough to make EVs viable for companies, a grant is a waste of tax payers money.
I don't think there's a conspiracy here, just all taken together it was too generous, particularly for those self employed through a company.

Maybe the conspiracy theory is wide of the mark, maybe not.
But I don't agree that incentives were too generous. Most company vehicles are dirty diesel, with high miles covered. Generous incentives to change as many of these to EV is surely a good thing, and would help us towards our transport emissions targets. I'd estimate there would also be a noticeable difference in air quality in Irish cities. Also a good thing surely?

In order to effect change in decades-long behaviour, large carrots and large sticks are usually needed.

But I don't agree that incentives were too generous
For a company director with a choice between getting a company car or funding his pension, the pension is a close 2nd with the current reliefs available on an EV!

Most company vehicles are dirty diesel
Out of interest, what type of vehicles are you talking about? Passenger cars for sales people doing 100k a year, or something else?

I too would like to see more environmentally friendly vehicles, but I think it'll need more targeted incentives to see cleaner cars being purchased rather than people taking advantage of a generous tax relief.

Started looking at electric cars. I'd consider a secondhand BMW I3 with the range extender. A small petrol engine to get rid of range anxiety.

For a company director with a choice between getting a company car or funding his pension, the pension is a close 2nd with the current reliefs available on an EV!

Out of interest, what type of vehicles are you talking about? Passenger cars for sales people doing 100k a year, or something else?

I too would like to see more environmentally friendly vehicles, but I think it'll need more targeted incentives to see cleaner cars being purchased rather than people taking advantage of a generous tax relief.

I'm talking about company vehicles in general, from large saloons doing 100km by salesmen to hatchback car/vans used by construction company staff.

Your comments about company directors are ridiculous. What incentives have they got for EV? A 2yr BIK exemption?

Your comments about company directors are ridiculous. What incentives have they got for EV? A 2yr BIK exemption?
It might sound ridiculous, yet it's happening.
Company can write off entire cost (up to 50,000) against corporation tax in first year. Provide car to employee with no employer PRSI.
Employee enjoys full use of car with no BIK; no USC, PRSI or income tax.
So a new Hyundai ioniq in the driveway has a net cost to a company director of about 14k (list price 29,700).

There are already some targeted grants, such as 7k grant for electric taxis. Specific areas like that can be extended, like extra grants for non passenger vehicles, particularly as technology improves. For a company looking at passenger vehicles, where EV is a viable option, it should be able to compete on a numbers basis already.

Started looking at electric cars. I'd consider a secondhand BMW I3 with the range extender. A small petrol engine to get rid of range anxiety.
Is this a second car by any chance? You do many long journeys in it? Both our cars are low range Leafs, but as we do most of our driving around Dublin range anxiety just doesn’t exist after a couple of weeks getting to know the car.

Worth thinking as you drive around for the next month or two, how often you would be beyond the range of an older pure BEV like a non-REX i3 or Leaf (so ~120-150km), you might find the REX just adds cost and complexity to the car!

It might sound ridiculous, yet it's happening.
Company can write off entire cost (up to 50,000) against corporation tax in first year. Provide car to employee with no employer PRSI.
Employee enjoys full use of car with no BIK; no USC, PRSI or income tax.
So a new Hyundai ioniq in the driveway has a net cost to a company director of about 14k (list price 29,700).
Also 20% of the VAT if the car is used for >60% business purposes.

FWIW we’re at 4-5 EVs in work now with the various incentives available. This is mostly employee driven so I don’t see the €3800 grants’ disappearance effecting this much.

Having said that, I think the government could have been much more aggressive in incentivising the switch to EVs in this budget. I’d have been a lot happier with the €3800 being removed if there was a load of funding going elsewhere.

Company can write off entire cost (up to 50,000) against corporation tax in first year.

The above is not correct, the max you can writeoff is 24000 in Accelerated Capital Allowances, and this is not just for EVs as far as I know.

Company can write off entire cost (up to 50,000) against corporation tax in first year.

The above is not correct, the max you can writeoff is 24000 in Accelerated Capital Allowances, and this is not just for EVs as far as I know.
Yep, the €50k limit is to the BIK exemption. For ACA it’s up to €24k, and on electric/alternative fuel vehicles only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back