Key Post Electric Vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got an email about test driving a formula e car the other day. Only €3000 for the experience.
My budget says not this year.

This is a really silly move by FG. I'm sure my employer wasn't the only company planning to replace multiple dirty diesel car/vans with EVs.

Perhaps they figured if demand levels were outstripping supply, then the additional incentive wasn't necessary? When do the manufacturers lock down their 2020 allocation for Ireland? It's likely supply will fall short of demand again.

Out of curiosity, what EV vans were you considering?

Perhaps they figured if demand levels were outstripping supply, then the additional incentive wasn't necessary? When do the manufacturers lock down their 2020 allocation for Ireland? It's likely supply will fall short of demand again.
Supply of Konas/Ioniqs is chronically short, but I don’t think there’s any shortage of the likes of the Leaf or Model 3.

Reactions: Leo

Out of curiosity, what EV vans were you considering?

I have no idea when they lock down their 2020 supply, but i sure hope it's multiples of what they got in 2019. Even some of the larger dealers received tiny numbers this year.

I currently drive a diesel commercial hatchback, and am seldom if ever outside of Dublin. I'm considering the Hyundai Kona and Kia e-Niro. The attraction for me is not distance i'd be able to drive in a day, but the reduced frequency that i'd need to charge it - probably only a couple of times each week.

I have no idea when they lock down their 2020 supply, but i sure hope it's multiples of what they got in 2019. Even some of the larger dealers received tiny numbers this year.

I currently drive a diesel commercial hatchback, and am seldom if ever outside of Dublin. I'm considering the Hyundai Kona and Kia e-Niro. The attraction for me is not distance i'd be able to drive in a day, but the reduced frequency that i'd need to charge it - probably only a couple of times each week.

I'm also considering the E Golf. Much smaller range but looks and feels classier to drive.

I like Graeme Lennox's review of the Peugeot 208 in today's ST. Available "soon" with 5 power-plants, 3 petrol, 1 diesel and one electric, the e-208 with a claimed "mileage" of 340km (211 miles) when fully charged, in mild weather, using no accessories. Recharge times are given as 16 hours via 3-pin wall socket or 7 hours when tethered to your house via a wall-box. I like the last part of his review which states:- "Peugeot in [on?] mainland Europe will let e-208 customers rent a combustion engine car for long-distance journeys ..."

Enough said lads, c'est fini.

Last edited:
kia e Niro looks interesting but seem to be in very short supply

Kia fully sold out for some time now. No more e-Neros til 2020.
Looks much the same car as the Kona Electric, except rear passenger and boot space are a little bigger

Folks

I have moved the fighting about battery life in general and related issues to another thread. Any further discussion of them in this thread will be deleted.

This thread should be for those who want to buy an EV , and to compare the different ones.

Brendan

Interesting that two months after the above thread split, not one single post about buying an EV or comparing them.

Poor charging infrastructure, EV price's are too high, after effects of the last government initiative (Greens and Diesel), why would you rush to buy an EV?
Trying my best to dissuade my missus not to change her Golf, nothing wrong with it and no solid EV replacement out there.

Poor charging infrastructure, EV price's are too high, after effects of the last government initiative (Greens and Diesel), why would you rush to buy an EV?
Trying my best to dissuade my missus not to change her Golf, nothing wrong with it and no solid EV replacement out there.

Depending on her requirements, I would say the Kona is a solid replacement for her golf. If most/all of her driving is within Dublin, an e-Golf may be suitable.

For those who wish to travel more than a couple of hundred km in one journey, I agree with you that the charging infrastructure is inadequate. Although it is improving.

I'm not sure what you mean by the last government initiative? What was the initiative and what was it's impact on weakening the case for EVs?

Interesting that two months after the above thread split, not one single post about buying an EV or comparing them.

I'm driving a new e-Golf since my last post, and am delighted with it.
It's 200km range won't suit everyone and it less than half the range of some cheaper EVs (Kona, Niro) but it suits me fine as I rarely (if ever) drive outside of Dublin.
Happy to answer any questions/queries you might have.

For those who wish to travel more than a couple of hundred km in one journey, I agree with you that the charging infrastructure is inadequate. Although it is improving.
Absolutely. One charging giant who has completed a number of outlets in 2019, plans to double their infrastructure next year to a grand total of 6 (six) nationwide!! Incredible.

I plan on buying an electric car sometime in the future, 15 to 20 years old, with more than 200000 miles on it and proven reliable.

I'm driving a new e-Golf since my last post, and am delighted with it.
It's 200km range won't suit everyone and it less than half the range of some cheaper EVs (Kona, Niro) but it suits me fine as I rarely (if ever) drive outside of Dublin.
Happy to answer any questions/queries you might have.

I/we (two adults no kids) have a hard top convertible 1.8L petrol 2008 mx5 at the moment, looking for change in new year (I can't call it upgrade as the mx5 is super).

Our main attraction is Honda Civic 1.0 turbo petrol 5 door which I'm test driving tomorrow. Thought about Lexus CT200H also and then about full EV. Mainly Dublin driving with some trips to Galway and Cork during the year, which makes me concerned about range. Tax on mx5 is over 600 so the Honda at 190 tax is very attractive. I stumbled onto this thread and noted the lack of activity...

I stumbled onto this thread and noted the lack of activity...
With AAM focussed on money/costs, I think the lack of activity comes down to the fact that buying a new EV at the moment isn’t going to save the vast majority of people money. Spending €30-40k on any rapidly depreciating asset is just not good financial sense. Now if you buy secondhand, are in the cohort of use-cases where it does save money, are very keen on technology or have a strong interest in the environment and money isn’t a big issue for you, then that probably alters the calculation.

Notwithstanding the lack of activity here, 25% of all cars sold in Ireland in November were full electrics (admittedly an unusual month for the car trade here), bringing the total for the year to 3% of the market, up 200% on 2018. Still a long way to go mind!

I/we (two adults no kids) have a hard top convertible 1.8L petrol 2008 mx5 at the moment, looking for change in new year (I can't call it upgrade as the mx5 is super).

Our main attraction is Honda Civic 1.0 turbo petrol 5 door which I'm test driving tomorrow. Thought about Lexus CT200H also and then about full EV. Mainly Dublin driving with some trips to Galway and Cork during the year, which makes me concerned about range. Tax on mx5 is over 600 so the Honda at 190 tax is very attractive. I stumbled onto this thread and noted the lack of activity...

I don't think you'll find any EV as sporty as a CT200H or mx5 unless you have the money for something like a Tesla. The (limited) EV knowledge I have are for sub-€50k EVs, as these are exempt from BIK.

A Kona or Niro would be easily capable of your trips to Galway. The e-Golf is probably more suited to your styling, but it's range is probably inadequate for your needs unless you either have guaranteed access to a charger when you reach Galway, or you don't mind stopping for 45mins to charge in the Midlands somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back