Diesel vs Hybrid

you were saying that they would brake more effectively, if they are making brakes bigger and increasing tyre contact areas to make sure they are braking as effectively as they need to, then what is your point again?

VW ID3 has brake drums on the rear, make of that what you will.
What he's saying is that Newton's second law is still correct.

Edit: Acceleration = Resultant Force/Mass. The same equation is used for Deceleration (or negative acceleration) but the resultant force is a minus value. In other words the greater the Mass the Greater the Resultant force has to be to accelerate or decelerate the object. Air Resistance will always be a negative value so the positive force of the engine accelerates the vehicle and the combined negative force of the air and the breaks decelerate it. In both cases the greater the mass the higher the resultant force had to be.

Or

The heavier the thing is the more energy is required to speed it up or slow it down.; the heavier the car the bigger the engine and the bigger the breaks.

Last edited:
Are we reading off the same numbers? From what I can see, a Tesla 3 (for example) is lighter than a BMW 3 Series (for example). 10%-20% depending on the model.

Maybe I'm reading different numbers

It was more what would an ICE powered Tesla 3 weigh.

And if my grandmother had balls....

Take out the batteries and replace with engine, combustion engine transmission, clutch and gearing (essentially all the heavy parts of a car) - probably not a lot.

Difference between the VW models (depending on which spec and which source) vary from EV being 200kg heavier to being slightly lighter.

Also - driving experience is probably more driven by weight distribution. In an EV, the centre of gravity can be slightly lower and centrally distributed. So it's not just about kg

And if my grandmother had balls....

Their presence or otherwise shouldn't impact her ability to understand the original point.

Also - driving experience is probably more driven by weight distribution. In an EV, the centre of gravity can be slightly lower and centrally distributed. So it's not just about kg

Tesla slightly better on center of gravity, BMW wins on weight distribution, but there's a lot more too it. Unsprung weight is a significant factor as is suspension set up in how that affects inertia and yaw/pitch.

I read Graham Lennox's 4-star review of the €40k VW ID.3 on Sunday and I'd have to conclude "Blinded by the Hype". His pre-production model had huge 19-inch wheels, comfy chairs and leg-room in the back, a host of software bugs and poor design features ("don't worry lads they'll be sorted when you get yours") and reading his comments I'd have said what he experienced was a solid 2.0 or a very generous 2.5 stars.

Review or Advertorial? Vote here please.

Last edited:
I read Graham Lennox's 4-star review of the €40k VW ID.3 on Sunday and I'd have to conclude "Blinded by the Hype". His pre-production model had huge 19-inch wheels, comfy chairs and leg-room in the back, a host of software and poor design features ("don't worry lads they'll be sorted when you get yours") and reading his comments I'd have said what he experienced was a solid 2.0 or a very generous 2.5 stars.

Review or Advertorial? Vote here please.
Didn't read it but he was generally very good when I used to buy the Times.

Back